Attention all Wii users!

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

ZH/Franky

Attention all Wii users!

Post by ZH/Franky »

Today, I turned on my wii (as usual), and played some Resident Evil 4.

The game is irrelevant, any game will apply:

My wii kept randomly turning off. I felt the console and it was really hot. I smelled in the area where there are ventilation holes, and I could "smell" heat (like the smell you get from a hairdryer after using it for a while).

I figured the problem was down to overheating. Sure enough, I looked at the fan while the console was off. I could see the blades not moving (obviously).

But I turn the console on while looking at teh fan, and it didn't move! The fan was not working!

I got a small pin, and put it inside the fan hole, and gave the fan a little nudge. After doing so, it started moving again.

Anyway, I left my Wii off for a while to cool down, then turned it back on again and the fan was indeed still working.

To all Wii users:
make sure, each and every time you turn your Wii on, that the fan is going, and if it isn't, stick something in there and give it a little nudge, and it should start moving again.

I looked this up on the internet and it happens to other people too.
If you leave your fan not working and you keep leaving your Wii to overheat, the CPu (and other components) will fry, leaving you with a broken Wii. But check every time, thus make it start moving should it ever not, and you'll be fine.

Just beware, that's all.
Last edited by ZH/Franky on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

this will usually work for any fan you have

I even had an old box fan that started in this same manner

that said, maybe you could take your Wii back to Nintendo before it's too late?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I had to kickstart my PC psu fan for the last couple years until I got around to making a frankenstein fix.

If you have decent ears, just listening the thing during power up is enough to notice a difference in air movement, don't have to check visually - unless you put it vertically, in which case I laugh at thee. (I mean, who's dumb enough to make a console stand on its air in/outtake) ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

No, I don't keep mine on the stand (there's a ventilation hole that airs meant to go into; put it on the stand and no cool air can get in, only the hot air that escapes...)

Seriously, I don't know what Nintendo was smoking when they came up with that design.

EDIT:
Found a rumour somewhere that the service "WiiConnect24" also makes the console heat up. WC24 keeps your internet on constantly, even when on standby (tested this myself and left my Wii on standby for a while, the thing was warm). Heard that WiiConnect24 can somehow make the fan stop moving.

Keep WiiConnect24 disabled (you don't need it fro internet access anyway)

Of course, it is only a rumour. But rumours are sometimes true, so I suggest being all paranoid about it.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Franky wrote:No, I don't keep mine on the stand (there's a ventilation hole that airs meant to go into; put it on the stand and no cool air can get in, only the hot air that escapes...)

Seriously, I don't know what Nintendo was smoking when they came up with that design.

EDIT:
Found a rumour somewhere that the service "WiiConnect24" also makes the console heat up. WC24 keeps your internet on constantly, even when on standby (tested this myself and left my Wii on standby for a while, the thing was warm). Heard that WiiConnect24 can somehow make the fan stop moving.

Keep WiiConnect24 disabled (you don't need it fro internet access anyway)

Of course, it is only a rumour. But rumours are sometimes true, so I suggest being all paranoid about it.
It stands to reason that WiiConnect will keep it warm. WiFi uses a significant amount of power, so keeping it on at all times will keep your system warm.

I can't see any way for software to cause analog-side hardware damage, though. Nintendo just used bad fans.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

I can't see any way for software to cause analog-side hardware damage, though. Nintendo just used bad fans.
Well, like I said, it's only a rumour.

I did some research, and found that Wc24 allows people to send you messages even when the console is on standby, and that the LED (or whatever it's called) on the drive flashes blue whenm you get a message. That must means that the CPU, and other components, are running in some kind of low power mode when the Wii is on standby (which stands to reason also because when this is the case and you insert a disc, the console automatically turns on and pulls it in)
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

(also when it's 'off' and you eject the game, it merely ejects the game then switches off itself. Take this not-slim ps2, you fucking failure)
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
declan
Lurker

Post by declan »

Thanks for the warnig Franky :)
I'll keep that in mind nex time i power up my Wii or GameCube (though the fan in the GC is so friggen noisy, you'd know instantly).
Hardware means nothing if you don't have good software.
Compare the success of SNES over Genisis
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

grinvader wrote:(also when it's 'off' and you eject the game, it merely ejects the game then switches off itself. Take this not-slim ps2, you fucking failure)
That's why you use the power switch on the back of the console...

And the GC's fan is noisey? WTF? Mine is way quiet.
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

I.S.T. wrote:
grinvader wrote:(also when it's 'off' and you eject the game, it merely ejects the game then switches off itself. Take this not-slim ps2, you fucking failure)

And the GC's fan is noisey? WTF? Mine is way quiet.
No, the power rocker switch is a workaround.

I was actually amazed when the Wii did what I expected when pushing buttons on the face of it.
declan
Lurker

Post by declan »

I.S.T. wrote:And the GC's fan is noisey? WTF? Mine is way quiet.
Mine is way noisy.
Hardware means nothing if you don't have good software.
Compare the success of SNES over Genisis
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

I.S.T. wrote:
That kinda prevents you from ejecting the game.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Sky
Rookie

Uh-oh

Post by Sky »

Oh, this is troubling. :S I am using Wii, and loving it. Hmmm - thanks for the tips. I just hope that I don't get that problem. Otherwise, I'll do as you said. :) Hope everything turned ok for you now.
Lord Alpha
Lurker

Post by Lord Alpha »

Thanks for the info man, I'll have to check my Wii when I get home.
It is better to be silent and thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

I am Zophar, Master of Sh*t!

[url=http://archlyn.bravejournal.com]View my blog[/url]
BCprogger
Hazed

Post by BCprogger »

Remember: Never check your wii in a public place- people might stare.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

BCprogger wrote:Remember: Never check your wii in a public place- people might stare.
Ugh, reviving a thread for a Wii joke. Lame.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

declan wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:And the GC's fan is noisey? WTF? Mine is way quiet.
Mine is way noisy.
get it checked. mine is just as noisy as my snes/n64 (dead silent) except when the disc spins up from zero speed.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64