Is Star Ocean finally playable?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

barbaari

Is Star Ocean finally playable?

Post by barbaari »

This might be a silly question (and perhaps posted on a wrong sub-forum, sorry), but is the original SNES Star Ocean finally playable with an emulator? I've been out of the scene for several years, and at those days I remember emulators still having major problems with SO (making the game as much as impossible to play).

What's the state of it today? It seems many people are in fact able to play the game (apparently better with SNES9x ?), but does it still contain many bugs? Should I bother giving it a chance? It's definitely a game I've been wanting to play for years now.

Thank you!
- barbaari
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Yes, the S-DD1 is now cracked, so those graphics packs are now no longer needed.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

You might want to stick with Snes9x, until the various emulation-related issues in Star Ocean under ZSNES have been resolved.

I'm not saying that ZSNES is incapable of running Star Ocean, far from it. It's just that due to timing problems and, to a degree, bugs in the original game, you'll get music glitches and freezing mostly, plus battle speed is twice the normal speed.

Snes9x doesn't have these problems.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Yep, you would be right. I would strongly suggest using bsnes or Snes9x for Star Ocean as of right now. The srm save is transferable so you can save the game virtually anywhere, so you can't really go wrong.

Star Ocean with the latest ZSNES drops sound channels, freezes randomly etc. The game does not have these particular issues in other emulators and is fully playable. You might find that ZSNES v1.42 or other previous releases work better, but you might as well use bsnes if you PC is fast enough or Snes9x if it is not.

Note that if you want to use Dejap's patch with bsnes, you will need to convert the ips patch to a ups patch (so you can soft-patch the game), or hard-patch the rom with the ips patch (keeping a backup of the original).
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Unplayable ? What's that ?

</went all the way to velcrant cave without graphics packs>
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

SnesGT runs Star Ocean better (at least as far as SPC emulation is concerned). Snes9x is as good as dead. If someone has proof that the Snes9x project isn't dead, I'd like to hear it.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:SnesGT runs Star Ocean better (at least as far as SPC emulation is concerned). Snes9x is as good as dead. If someone has proof that the Snes9x project isn't dead, I'd like to hear it.
Nach might have something to say about that.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:If someone has proof that the Snes9x project isn't dead, I'd like to hear it.
http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=12
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Uh, that's unofficial development. If that means the official snes9x is alive, then VBA-M is proof that VBA is alive.

I should mention I'm being a Devil's Advocate here. I have no idea, nor do I even care, if snes9x is actually alive or not.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

There have been numerous mentions that SNES9x development has not halted and good progress is being made. I believe a newer video engine for the windows build is one of the new features to expect (yay adjustable refresh rates :P) and other things like a new core.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

The thing I have against Snes9x's is the fact that the SPU core doesn't like my sound card, my Realtek 5.1 HQ Audio. No other games/programs have conflicts with the card, but Snes9x is the only one that does, which makes no sense. And no matter which buffer/latency combo I set it to, there's always crackling and popping in the audio. I change the Audio Mode to "Direct sound" (everything but Snes9x default) and the Audio Sync is unusable and sounds even worse. That's why I'm sticking to SnesGT until either a new Snes9x or the long-awaited Zsnes 2.0 is released. I'm completely skeptical Snes9x is still alive. Sorry if I'm ranting or whatever, but I wish they'd release a new version with Blargg's SPC core or equivalent.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I would say that Nach is pretty involved with official Snes9x development. :p

That being said, regardless of whether or not you think it is dead, Star Ocean works better on it, so it is a moot point. If you can't get your hardware to work with it, well, tough luck?
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Here's a link of comparisons between SnesGT 0.230b5 and Snes9x 1.51. Game - Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. A test, to show you the Snes9x SPC core is messed up and why SnesGT's SPC core is better IMHO. Here: http://rapidshare.com/files/125644612/S ... 2.avi.html Sounds to me like a case of sound driver discrimination. Out of all of programs I have (and they all have perfect sound), Snes9x is only one that's SOL.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I've been suggesting you use the FMOD option or just shut up. Seriously, it's part your sound card and somewhat Snes9x's fault.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Seriously, it's part your sound card and somewhat Snes9x's fault.
From what I am aware, the Snes9x DirectSound code is the main part of the problem. It had those issues for years.

Some threading problems are causing the issues, AFAIK. Thats why FMOD sounds fine, where DSound sounds like ass. Honestly,I would love to know the real nature of the problem, but I daresay the OS specific sound output implementation is the issue, not the actual SPC emulation core itself...
leilei
Rookie

Post by leilei »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:The thing I have against Snes9x's is the fact that the SPU core doesn't like my sound card, my Realtek 5.1 HQ Audio.
that's not even a card
that chipset is picky about sample rates, feed it 48000hz instead and it will sound fine.
o^_^o
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

If I knew how to change the sample rate (on the card, not in Snes9x), I would. But as I said before, using FMOD disallows sound sync, so it sounds like crap. Direct Sound has it, but crackles. That's why I like SnesGT more than Zsnes/Snes9x's sound. Zsnes is an exception because it's being actively worked on. Snes9x is as good dead as far as I'm concerned! How in blazes do I "feed my sound card to 48000Hz?"
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

you tell the program to output audio as 48 kHz.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

That didn't work, so, until they release Zsnes 2.0 or a new Snes9x (whichever comes first), I'm using SnesGT. I'll admit I'm picky about my sound emulation accuracy.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

You were going to do that anyway, there's no need to broadcast it across the whole forum. We get it, you have a boner for SnesGT. Congrats.
I bring the trouble.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

You were going to do that anyway, there's no need to broadcast it across the whole forum. We get it, you have a boner for SnesGT. Congrats.
There's nothing wrong with being passionate about something.

Snark, FitzRoy and co. are passionate about cycle accurate emulation, neo_bahamut1985 is passionate about sound accuracy, so wheres the issue?
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Snes9x.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Har har.

EDIT: To respond to Mudlord, there is nothing wrong with being passionate about something, but that there is a line between helpful passion and being a broken record that I try not to cross. I find that most people on this forum do a pretty good job of not crossing that line, yourself included.

I'll try and bite my tongue more in the future. I guess it shows when I'm having a bad day.
I bring the trouble.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

I'll just stop.