Earthbound Anti-Piracy?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Aaron
Lurker

Earthbound Anti-Piracy?

Post by Aaron »

Hi. I've been playing Earthbound with my friend on ZSNES, and I was wondering if playing the unhacked version of Earthbound on ZSNES would result in a higher encounter rate/a deleted save near the end of the game.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

When I first read the thread title, I was confused.

WIth that said, I wouldn't know what the differences are in your supposed hacked version. The encounter rate in Earthbound can be a tad high at times, but that's resolved once you complete the area. I'm not sure what you mean by a "deleted save" though.. the original unhacked version would never have this problem in the first place.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Aaron
Lurker

Post by Aaron »

Deathlike2 wrote:When I first read the thread title, I was confused.

WIth that said, I wouldn't know what the differences are in your supposed hacked version. The encounter rate in Earthbound can be a tad high at times, but that's resolved once you complete the area. I'm not sure what you mean by a "deleted save" though.. the original unhacked version would never have this problem in the first place.
I'm sorry. I just now found out that the anti-piracy measures are brought out in emulation only when using a cheat: http://starmen.net/mother2/gameinfo/antipiracy/.

Thanks anyway. :S
byuu

Post by byuu »

Earthbound has copier detection code that's evil like in KDL3. It pretends to work, but then does odd things to the game like greatly increase the encounter rate and erase your saves.

It's amazing they got juvenile stuff like that past corporate. That said, it depends on how the test works. I wouldn't know if ZSNES trips it, but I imagine if it did, we'd have heard more about it by now, as that game has a rather massive following.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

byuu, the best way to call it is that it was "ahead of its time". This predates that one of those recent games (not hack) where it detects when an emu is in use and ends the game in some time lock.

Annoying, but amusing.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Hmm, I've been wanting to play earthbound on my GDSF7, do I need to take precautions?
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Most versions of Earthbound ROMs I've used never had that issue. Depends where you get it from.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

blackmyst wrote:Hmm, I've been wanting to play earthbound on my GDSF7, do I need to take precautions?
Off-hand, I'd say yes. Not that I can prove it.
neo_bahamut1985 wrote:Most versions of Earthbound ROMs I've used never had that issue. Depends where you get it from.
Are you playing them on a copier?
The anti-piracy mechanism, as discussed in the thread, isn't triggered by current emulators.

You'd know this if you read the thread.
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

Wow, I've played earthbound for years on the emulator, never knew about this. Thanks for providing that link, good read!
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

I can't find any patches, so I guess I'll need a pre-hacked ROM. But I'm kinda confused, which of the following do I need?

Earthbound (U) [!]
Earthbound (U) [f1+C]
Earthbound (U) [f1]
Earthbound (U) [f2]
Earthbound (U) [f3]
Earthbound (U) [T+Spa091b_Tanero]
Earthbound (U) [t1]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

blackmyst wrote:I can't find any patches, so I guess I'll need a pre-hacked ROM. But I'm kinda confused, which of the following do I need?

Earthbound (U) [!]
Earthbound (U) [f1+C]
Earthbound (U) [f1]
Earthbound (U) [f2]
Earthbound (U) [f3]
Earthbound (U) [T+Spa091b_Tanero]
Earthbound (U) [t1]
You need NSRT (EGHSJF_and_then_some) [fuck+goodtools mk3.4]
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Umm, I thought NSRT didn't list any hacks? That's what I'm looking for, the hacked version pointed to in that Earthbound link.

And I'm not using goodtools, what do you take me for. D: These are the rawmz from some website that has every single one of them, including all the useless hacks. And since that's seemingly the only way I'm going to be able to play it on my copier, so be it.
leilei
Rookie

Post by leilei »

blackmyst wrote: And since that's seemingly the only way I'm going to be able to play it on my copier, so be it.
You could also buy the game (!!!)
o^_^o
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Yeah, that's very helpful, thank you.

The game never came out in Europe, and frankly, I have no qualms pirating things that that some publisher wasn't interested in selling to me when I wanted it.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

I never use ROMs on a copier; they're too freakin' expensive.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

Earthbound (U) [!]
I'm pretty sure that's the one you want.

EDIT: hmmm I'm wondering if this is becoming NSFF (not safe for forum) material...
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

dfreer wrote:Earthbound (U) [!]
I'm pretty sure that's the one you want.

EDIT: hmmm I'm wondering if this is becoming NSFF (not safe for forum) material...
I don't think you've read the thread through.