"Unable to save"

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Ranyth

"Unable to save"

Post by Ranyth »

I just downloaded this emulator a few days ago, and it's my first one, so I am completely in the dark as to how to use most features, though I was able to figure out how to play a game at least. I am playing Mystic Quest. I saved my file in game, which wasn't there when I opened the game the next day. I read that F2 is the hotkey to save, and when I pressed it a message came up at the bottom reading "UNABLE TO SAVE". Please educate me about how the save system works, so I can avoid this in the future, and tell me what I need to do to save my game! I am not running it from a CD, by the way, which I heard is bad. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Define a save directory in ZSNES via Config->Paths. Make sure the folder you point ZSNES to has full read/write access.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Ranyth

Post by Ranyth »

Ok, I made a folder in the zsnes folder called "saves", made unchecked the "read only" box, and now in the setup paths sectoin under saves where you're to put the file where it saves to, it says "saves/". And yet, it still isn't saving, im getting the same message.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

your relative path is wrong.

put the fully qualified path (eg c:\zsnes\saves) in to avoid issues. avoid spaces in the path - move or rename directories as necessary.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
KaoticEvil

Post by KaoticEvil »

I know this topic was posted a long time ago, but I just started having the same problem. I changed nothing in the zSNES configuration, but all of a sudden, I'm getting the same message about "unable to save". It has been working flawlwssly for nearly 2 years previous to this.. Anyone have any ideas? The paths are fully qualified, running on a WinXP Pro SP2 system, even opened the zsnesw.cfg file to verify that they were written correctly in the config, and they were proper...

Any ideas anyone? TIA!
Uhrmacher

Post by Uhrmacher »

I, too, am having this exact same problem. I am getting the "Unable to save" error whenever I try to save a state.
I copied the path directly from the folder I wanted to put the saves in (the folder my old ones are in) to the "Saves:" option under Config/Paths. This did not have any effect.
Also, it will not save normal game saves as well as save states. I can, however, use my game saves/save states that were created before this started happening. Any game save I make now is gone after the computer reboots/gets turned off.
I am running Windows Vista, if that makes any kind of difference.
It works fine on my computer at home, which is running Windows 7.

Edit: Oh wow, this topic was started a long time ago. I honestly did not notice that lol.

Edit Edit: I figured out the problem. My save folders are Read-Only. but...my save folders are automatically changing themselves back to Read-Only after I turn that off. The box will not be filled in when I close the properties window, but will be filled in when I re-open the properties window right away. There is only one account on this computer, and is, obviously, the administrator.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

try using attrib in a command prompt to toggle the read-onlyness

attrib -R path

offside: the read-only thing is a bug in explorer, right?
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Uhrmacher

Post by Uhrmacher »

funkyass wrote:try using attrib in a command prompt to toggle the read-onlyness

attrib -R path

offside: the read-only thing is a bug in explorer, right?
No idea.

This is my dad's computer, so I don't wanna go into his CMD prompt so I can't personally verify this. He said he tried that and it didn't work.

But...I searched around on it and I found a folder that was not read-only. I guess I'll hijack that folder for now lol. It's not anything essential.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

funkyass wrote:offside: the read-only thing is a bug in explorer, right?
It's a "feature"

Which is a nice way of saying MS has known about it for years and doesn't care to fix it because most apps ignore the read-only bit.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads