BG1 Layer Disabled?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

drone

BG1 Layer Disabled?

Post by drone »

This may be a common bug, but I searched around and didn't really find anything helpful. Every time I try to play Megaman X2 or X3, at some point in the first level, all the platforms I need to see disappear and text on the screen says "BG 1 Layer disabled". Does anyone know how to go about resolving this, or are the roms faulty? Thanks in advance.
drone

Post by drone »

Sorry, meant to post this in the bug forum, can't delete...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

This is not a bug. You have double mapped to the same key.

Make sure you double check what you've mapped for your input keys (Config->Input), and cross reference Misc->Misc Keys.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
drone

Post by drone »

Awesome, thanks. I was wondering why it was happening on more than one ROM, and I didn't think it was ZSNES.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Make sure you double check what you've mapped for your input keys (Config->Input), and cross reference Misc->Misc Keys.
I have been curious about this for a while.

I know the BG disable keys were originally added back when SNES layer priorities were unknown, and they were needed to play games like FF5. But why are they still so prominent and bound to 1-5 by default today?

The only non-developer use I can think of for them would be cheating in FF4-6 to find hidden paths. Definitely still cool to have them, but maybe they should be left unmapped by default?
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

byuu wrote:
I have been curious about this for a while.

I know the BG disable keys were originally added back when SNES layer priorities were unknown, and they were needed to play games like FF5. But why are they still so prominent and bound to 1-5 by default today?

The only non-developer use I can think of for them would be cheating in FF4-6 to find hidden paths. Definitely still cool to have them, but maybe they should be left unmapped by default?
BLASPHEMY.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I'd rather you keep your opinion on GUI defaults to your own emu

or release BZSNES, with super duper cfg.psr update

whatever

i'm only slightly irritated, if your detector is borken
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

byuu wrote:I know the BG disable keys were originally added back when SNES layer priorities were unknown, and they were needed to play games like FF5. But why are they still so prominent and bound to 1-5 by default today?
An elegant shortcut from a darker time, when cries of "Why is there a layer of fog blocking my view?" abounded.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Maybe still useful for sprite ripping.
doktor_kris
Lurker

Post by doktor_kris »

Having the layers easily mapped from 1 to 5 is great. Although not a
necessity like it sometimes was years ago, I, for one, do find great joy
in disabling/re-enabling the various layers ever so often. Quite amusing,
really.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

i too play with bg layers out of curiosity, lets you see how the scenes are composed.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Yeah, but it gives the impression that there are only 5 graphics layers, while in reality there can be up to 12.

*points to sig*
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
byuu

Post by byuu »

I'd rather you keep your opinion on GUI defaults to your own emu
I was just offering a suggestion. I understand we don't get along, but it would be nice if we could at least be polite to one another.
Yeah, but it gives the impression that there are only 5 graphics layers, while in reality there can be up to 12.
In fairness, dividing them into four BGs + one sprite layer is pretty fair. Even with different priorities, you have to share the tilemap, scrolling registers, etc.

But yes, definitely everyone check out vSNES :D
Invaluable debugging tool, that.