iPod Touch firmware 2.0

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

iPod Touch firmware 2.0

Post by adventure_of_link »

I bought my iPod touch earlier this year. I've been hearing things about a firmware 2.0 for it, so I tried a restore update through iTunes to get it. However I keep getting error 1604 (and similar) when trying to start the update.

I can't even put it in DFU mode using iLiberty and similar (upon doing so it gives me the connect to iTunes logo colored in red and iTunes, iBrickr, etc. won't recognize my iPod. I've tried putting it in DFU mode myself, however all it does it just turn the screen white and restart in recovery mode (which is what I don't want.) Thankfully I can reboot the iPod and select the Jump out of Recovery mode and get back in normally. When I get back in via iBrickr the screen turns red and eventually reboots.

so the question is, does the 2.0 firmware even work *at all* with any iPod touch bought earlier this year? oh, btw I have iTunes 7.7. IIRC you need to downgrade that to 7.5 if you wish to go from 2.x to 1.1.4.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i think you'd need itunes 8.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

I thought the 2.0 firmware needed to be purchased for the touch where it was free for the iPhones.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

I have a iPod Nano and never had a problem on updates on iTunes.

I always update iTunes as well.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

SquareHead wrote:I thought the 2.0 firmware needed to be purchased for the touch where it was free for the iPhones.
that as well
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

sweener2001 wrote:
SquareHead wrote:I thought the 2.0 firmware needed to be purchased for the touch where it was free for the iPhones.
that as well
LOL APPLE?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Yes, but I managed to find it on Google for free ;)

that being said, I was also reading guides on how even iTunes 7.7 could upgrade an iPod to version 2 firmware.. Guess I'll go get iTunes 8 and see how it goes.
Last edited by adventure_of_link on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

yeah I'm pretty sure that's your problem. I had an iphone earlier this year but I don't think that helps your current situation.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

adventure_of_link wrote:even iTunes 7.7 could upgrade to 8..
do you know how stupid that sounds?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

iSoundStupid
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

divinyls wrote:iTouchMyself
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Reminds me of iGasm. ;)
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

I did some more research on my specific problem and it turns out there's a check in iTunes 7.7 and higher to prevent users from going into DFU mode as long as you have iPod touch firmware that is less than 2.0.. so I uninstalled iTunes+Apple Mobile Device, and installed iTunes 8. I did a restore upgrade (NOT DFU, the recovery mode one), and it seems like it's doing something. Will let you know shortly.

EDIT: It seems that it took the vanilla iPod 2.0 firmware.. now it's off to jailbreak it. Thanks for all the help though.

Double EDIT: Once you are in 2.0 firmware it allows for full DFU mode (yes comes complete with the nice sexy black screen and everything :D)

Triple EDIT: Apparently even this didn't let me upload my jailbroken 2.0 image :x so after more investigating, I put the iPod in full DFU mode (again), let iTunes download all needed updates and install them (which happened to be the 2.2 firmware) so I just googled how to jailbreak/pwn 2.2 (apparently pwning, pwned, pwn, etc is now also known as jailbreaking, why, who knows.) I then managed to get into a jailbroken (I refuse to call it pwned and similar) 2.2 from there.

so in short:
1) uninstall any iTunes+Apple Mobile Device software (and rename your iTunes library.itl files to have old in the filename, ex: iTunes Library old.itl)

2) install iTunes 8

3) Boot iPod into recovery mode (the one where you have the iTunes logo+USB cable on the screen) and install VANILLA 2.0 firmware

4) get into DFU mode and let iTunes upgrade you to the latest version (at the time of this post is 2.2)

5) download QuickPwn version 2.2 and use it to jailbreak (again, I refuse to call it pwned and similar) your iPod.

6) re-install all previously installed apps and enjoy your jailbroken (again, I refuse to call it pwned and similar) iPod 2.2

7) import your old iTunes library files, by simply closing out of iTunes and rename your iTunes Library old.itl file to iTunes Library.itl
btw as always you're on your own with Google to find all needed files and programs.

Quadruple EDIT: Sweener, I just re-read your post, and I meant to say that even iTunes 7.7 could upgrade an iPod to version 2 firmware. my bad. Fixed previous post.

E-E-Edit breaker ! lawl - random penguin mod
NSRT here.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

grinvader's comment in my last post wrote:E-E-Edit breaker ! lawl - random penguin mod
haha
NSRT here.