Kaspersky detects keylogger!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

watnes

Kaspersky detects keylogger!

Post by watnes »

Hook installation C:\WINDOWS\system32\dinput8.dll
Allowed: KLPrivileges/KLPermissionAppAccess/KLPermissionProcEmbed/KLSetHook

Does zsnes do key logs? What for?
Does it not?

What the hell on earth does "Hook installation" mean? Is my dinput8.dll file surely hacked? OR Is this a normal behavior that falls in the category of keylogging in the perspective of kaspersky?

or what the hell else... ?

Do normal programs that do not do surveillance, like zsnes, use keylogging - style activity for input-output? Is Winamp's hotkey support a keylogging - style activity?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Well of course we do key logging, you're playing a game and can make movies after all.

To my knowledge though, we don't use any Win32 Keylogger API.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Re: Kaspersky detects keylogger!

Post by Deathlike2 »

watnes wrote:Hook installation C:\WINDOWS\system32\dinput8.dll
Allowed: KLPrivileges/KLPermissionAppAccess/KLPermissionProcEmbed/KLSetHook
Please google what DirectInput is before you start getting random ideas.
Does zsnes do key logs? What for?
Does it not?
It only does that when it records a movie, otherwise, it doesn't do anything of that sort.

What the hell on earth does "Hook installation" mean? Is my dinput8.dll file surely hacked? OR Is this a normal behavior that falls in the category of keylogging in the perspective of kaspersky?

or what the hell else... ?
Normal behavior. At this point, I think you need a better AV program.. or at the very least not freak out over every minor thing. If you make your AV program become sensitive to everything (as in use aggressive settings in fear of nothing) then you will get normal behavior looking like "bad stuff" when it isn't. Reminds me of a story...
Do normal programs that do not do surveillance, like zsnes, use keylogging - style activity for input-output? Is Winamp's hotkey support a keylogging - style activity?
Keylogging is recording+logging input. Hotkey support is waiting for keyboard input. These two things are not connected to each other in the way you are thinking about it.
Last edited by Deathlike2 on Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
watnes

Post by watnes »

Nach:

Of course? is it that normal to log keys by using the system?

Is nero not a windows / 32 bit application? what the hell with all this confusing / esoteric / crap terminology? What does win32 mean?

I played the dos version of zsnes and it made movies. The save feature seems to access things without going to them with a long series of recorded strokes.

Why use something that makes kaspersky cry "keylogger"?
Why aren't you showing them your programs is good, so they don't ask me to take decisions?
Last edited by watnes on Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watnes

Post by watnes »

At this point, I think you need a better AV program
Well nod32 passed through 2000 instances of some 700k trojan or worm or waddahell without even suspicion. I don't think there's ONE AV prog that knows what it's doing or at least knows how to communicate with the user.

I hate this damn web.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

watnes wrote:Of course? is it that normal to log keys by using the system?
Pay attention, it only applies WHEN you record movies. Since movies rely on recording keystrokes made at certain times, it would require those keystrokes to be "played back" when you play back the movie.
Is zsnes not a windows / 32 bit application? what the hell with all this confusing / esoteric / crap terminology? What does win32 mean?
ZSNES is a 32-bit app. If you aren't sure of what Win32 means in general, Google. It is common terminology to suggest "Windows 32-bit application".
I played the dos version of zsnes and it made movies. The save feature seems to access things without going to them with a long series of recorded strokes.
The save feature is not connected with recording stuff. It only writes out data that a game would normally write out to the battery backed up media for those games that used it.

Why use something that makes kaspersky cry "keylogger"?
Why aren't you showing them your programs is good, so they don't ask me to take decisions?
It's not our fault if an AV mistakes normal behavior for something that it is not. It's not our responsibility when AV programs screw up in thinking an app is a virus (which I've seen in other forums and have been mentioned before). AV programs screw up too.
Last edited by Deathlike2 on Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
deltaphc

Post by deltaphc »

Kaspersky is not a central authority on application safety. It can try to detect if an application is safe, but it can never be 100% accurate, simply because thousands upon thousands of applications exist, each with different behavior.

Also, there are multiple anti-virus programs that exist, and none of them will ever be 100% accurate either. It's simply not possible for an anti-virus to be foolproof.

And it's not the responsibility of an application programmer to notify the dozens and dozens of anti-virus companies out there that their app is safe.
watnes

Post by watnes »

And it's not the responsibility of an application programmer to notify the dozens and dozens of anti-virus companies out there that their app is safe.
Well it's your resp to notify the user. Make a link central on the web page that shows what is mistaken as virus/mall/shit on each major antivirus. It will take some hours max.

And say what action of zsnes is in the same class as virus and tell exactly how and when it does it so I know that if it's done differently, it's a hacked file.

Does zsnes access the directx input key logging shits at program start? or at movie making?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

watnes wrote:
Well it's your resp to notify the user. Make a link central on the web page that shows what is mistaken as virus/mall/shit on each major antivirus. It will take some hours max.
I don't see that as a requirement. Might as well tell every emu or app that does the same right? What if the AV determines if that's not an issues in an AV update? It's a waste of time to even ponder this.
And say what action of zsnes is in the same class as virus and tell exactly how and when it does it so I know that if it's done differently, it's a hacked file.
Just consider this.. if you don't trust downloading something.. then don't bother using it at all. Noone is forced to download and run something they are not comfortable with.
Does zsnes access the directx input key logging shits at program start? or at movie making?
It's not worth answering the question when you don't understood how DirectX is used to monitor for joystick input, not just keyboard input. Some people do want to use a controller to play the games.
Vampier

Post by Vampier »

directx is a virus!
watnes

Post by watnes »

I don't see that as a requirement. Might as well tell every emu or app that does the same right? What if the AV determines if that's not an issues in an AV update? It's a waste of time to even ponder this.
I don't think there are many things in a prog that could go as virus/shit. Don't wait for the AVs, put it there from the start.
Just consider this.. if you don't trust downloading something.. then don't bother using it at all. Noone is forced to download and run something they are not comfortable with.
I trust developers. I don't trust the guys on the cable. My government fucks with me and I don't even know who I'm talking to through the net. Some small smarts could clarify a lot in a lot of progs. I do want to use computers.
It's not worth answering the question
I don't need to understand shit. Answer like this: movie key logging loads at start, together with the joystick.
watnes

Post by watnes »

Look! Vampier came to fuck with me! : )
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

watnes wrote:
I don't think there are many things in a prog that could go as virus/shit. Don't wait for the AVs, put it there from the start.
I'm sure the next thousands of programs that already exist who don't have those kinds of statement will start putting them up your desired future.
I trust developers. I don't trust the guys on the cable. My government fucks with me and I don't even know who I'm talking to through the net. Some small smarts could clarify a lot in a lot of progs. I do want to use computers.
At the very least, do some research first. Otherwise, you are jumping to faulty conclusions... unless you think everything written online is one big lie. Then, I really can't help there you there. If you don't even know how things work, then why try to connect dots that can't be connected in the first place?
It's not worth answering the question
I don't need to understand shit. Answer like this: movie key logging loads at start, together with the joystick.
Logging only occurs when you record movies. That's all. There's nothing else to repeat when it was mentioned before and you're not putting the pieces together.
h4tred

Post by h4tred »

From someone who deals with reverse engineering of applications, I can say categorically that your AV app is fucked.

Get a better one.

Thats the bottom line. If it detects ZSNES as a malicious app, then it is fucked. ZSNES does nothing out of the ordinary when using DInput for key input. It is completely safe. If you know how to code, you could see that yourself.

Personally, you should be more worried if ZSNES really installs global system hooks and uses WriteProcessMemory(), but lets forget that, since:

a) Kaspersky or whatever the fuck its called is defective.
b) ZSNES devs are smart enough not to implant malicious code
c) DirectInput is a completely valid API
d) There is clear signs that there is ZERO malicious code in the app

So, I'd say do more research instead of making conspiracy theories.
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

A) theres nothing wrong with kaspersky, the application does hook the keyboard, and because it has no digital signature it is reported as a keylogger. Kaspersky has a trusted+exceptions list for this very reason, and had you been running kaspersky in non-interactive mode, it would've just automatically added the exception.

B) This is typical of an OS Firewall, and is actually better then that crap they call UAC, not as intrusive either since you can educate it based on what you select in the prompt.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
h4tred

Post by h4tred »

the application does hook the keyboard,
\

Wait a second: So KIS immediately flags a app as a keylogger if it gets key input using normal, commonly established APIs? Thats just stupid. Reminds me of the shit that most AVs flag packed files as viruses.......
watnes

Post by watnes »

I'm sure the next thousands of programs that already exist who don't have those kinds of statement will start putting them up your desired future.
I've seen some. So I'm not the only one. Join us!

A lie? Objectively, the world's governments fuck up more than half of the net, I would say. But that's only tangent to my shit here.

You don't need to know the content of shit in order to figure shit out. Logically, it all came down to this: is the shit infected? Or if it's not, put the suspicious but legitimate form of the shit on the shit's web page. Thus you fight alterations, ineffective principles and world conspiracy altogether. Isn't that great?
Logging only occurs when you record movies.
Are you telling me kaspersky should see the keylogging shit only when I record the movie? It's telling me the shit when I open the program.
h4tred

Post by h4tred »

You don't need to know the content of shit in order to figure shit out. Logically, it all came down to this: is the shit infected? Or if it's not, put the suspicious but legitimate form of the shit on the shit's web page. Thus you fight alterations, ineffective principles and world conspiracy altogether. Isn't that great?
The conspiracies are scaring me....since ZSNES itself is fine. There is ZERO need to say what it does, since its perfectly fine. Its the AV that has the issue, not the ZSNES devs.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

watnes wrote:fuck shit shit shit shit infected shit shit conspiracy shit shit
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

watnes wrote:
Are you telling me kaspersky should see the keylogging shit only when I record the movie? It's telling me the shit when I open the program.
No. I'm telling you your AV is flagging it (needlessly) because we're using DirectInput, like all the other apps that use DirectInput. If you hadn't paid attention, it has nothing to do with logging.
watnes

Post by watnes »

Deathlike2
it has nothing to do with logging.
Yes it has. You're just telling me there is no malware keylogging. Get your shit right. Kickass!
creaothceann subject:
watnes wrote ...
you forgot the helicopters. shiiit.
h4tred
ZSNES itself is fine.
The gov. disconnected my chat line from dc++ and hacked in their own channel. How the fuck (and shit! ..fuck!) do you know I'm downloading the right zsnes? There is 0+1 need to say what it does, as it's the general need with any programs that might stir shit. If people would cover all the problems then the gov. and other minor evils would be out of business. It's about perfection and thus removing any kind of evil.

So fuck this shit, it hit the fan and there's more shit material than the right shit. Bye!
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Deathlike2 wrote:
watnes wrote:
No. I'm telling you your AV is flagging it (needlessly) because we're using DirectInput, like all the other apps that use DirectInput. If you hadn't paid attention, it has nothing to do with logging.
Exactly, so you can either disable Keylogger detection under proactive defense settings, or you can just suck it up and add it to the exclusions list and keep the keylogger protection.

Seriously, its only something to worry about if Kaspersky plays a sound and the prompt has a red warning logo.
Last edited by Squall_Leonhart on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

watnes wrote:
Deathlike2
it has nothing to do with logging.
Yes it has. You're just telling me there is no malware keylogging. Get your shit right. Kickass!
I answered your question as to why it is logged. You simply don't understand what I said, but whatever.
The gov. disconnected my chat line from dc++ and hacked in their own channel. How the fuck (and shit! ..fuck!) do you know I'm downloading the right zsnes? There is 0+1 need to say what it does, as it's the general need with any programs that might stir shit. If people would cover all the problems then the gov. and other minor evils would be out of business. It's about perfection and thus removing any kind of evil.

It sounds to me that your ISP blocked you from using that app's natural ports because it is a file sharing service and ISPs don't want you wasting their bandwidth. Then again, it could be any number of legitimate non-government related reasons.. but whatever I guess.
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

EMULATION REQUIRES A BRAIN
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

If you're worried about viruses and stuff, it's really easy to fix. Even kids know what to do.

Just watch this simple video and follow the kid's directions.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.