No GGPO-like netcode for Street Fighter IV

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Snark
Trooper

No GGPO-like netcode for Street Fighter IV

Post by Snark »

If you're wondering what GGPO is, it's a new network system similar to kaillera that allows you to play someone over the internet, except it doesn't utterly suck, and it's fucking awesome.

The downloadable game "Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo High Definition Remix" (whew) available for PS3/360 incorporate most of it's engine and the netcode is simply amazing. Seriously, probably the smoothest, most lag-free (well the lag is still there but the code use some fancy algorithm so that it isn't apparent in most cases for either client side) vs game available.

Anyway, SFIV producer Ono said they won't be using GGPO netcode or GGPO's "rollback" algorithm because of a lack of horsepower available...Major bummer, that means the game could have horrible (client-apparent) lag similar to Soul Calibur IV.

Hope at least if the initial release have poor lag, they don't pull a Namco and try to patch it up.

...There ARE others planing to buy the game right? <_< >_>
I want to fry~~ Sky Hiiiiiiiiigh~
Let's go-o-o-O~ togeda~
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

The only thing I remember about SF4 is the chun-li penis thing.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

grinvader wrote:The only thing I remember about SF4 is the chun-li penis thing.
Ah.

(quickly tries to change the subject)

They actually brought back Gouken (Ryu and Ken's master). Apparently he wasn't dead after all :roll: Which shows how much storyline continuity matters to Capcom. Don't like the fact a character's been killed off? No prob! Just retcon the hell out of it.
Let's go-o-o-O~ togeda~
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

this is probably going to be the only fighting game for current gen that i get into
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

I've been playing it at my college and it is an enjoyable game. I like how the game incorporates new mechanics such as the focus attack and ultra moves. It freshens up the series a bit, which I love. I already have the game pre-ordered. Hope the game sells well!
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

:o She's a real pro.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Snark wrote:Image Ah.
That's awesome beyond several thresholds of doom and massive crabflipped damage.
powerspike wrote::o She's a real pro.
So, I'm not the only one reading that, rooflez.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

grinvader wrote: That's awesome
That's correct. And if anyone forget it, they're in for some maximum level of pain and catastrophic failure. GADO-KEN!!
Let's go-o-o-O~ togeda~
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

I have SSFII Turbo HD Remix and I've played several online matches. As with any online game, I did encounter people with lag, though only a few.

What was REALLY annoying was how 90% of online players would pick Akuma over and over. I just would pick regular characters like Ken or Fei Long, but it was always fucking Akuma on the other end. Might as well just call it "Super Akuma Fighter II Turbo HD Remix". One of the rare times someone I faced didn't play Akuma, they were using a turbo controller with E. Honda fierce hand-slaps all over the place. Great...
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

What a bunch of noobs.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

it's more fun to mix it up. although i'm guilty of loving ken and ryu, i'll use anyone for fun.

people tend to get a little confused if you pick vega or deejay, too.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

FirebrandX wrote:I have SSFII Turbo HD Remix and I've played several online matches. As with any online game, I did encounter people with lag, though only a few.
With SSF2TRemix's GGPO-like architecture I get zero perceptible lag (and I notice these things) when playing anything below 80-60ms (easily found), which is pretty fucking sweet. Of course, anything above 200-300ms is asking for disaster.

I think the best testimony of the solidity of the game's netcode is that there are many known offline top players from Japan (who would not touch the thing with a ten-foot hadoken if the game had anywhere near noticeable lag) who play online.

Also from what I heard, 360 has better online overall so that may factors in if you're playing the PS3 version.
What was REALLY annoying was how 90% of online players would pick Akuma over and over. I just would pick regular characters like Ken or Fei Long, but it was always fucking Akuma on the other end. Might as well just call it "Super Akuma Fighter II Turbo HD Remix".
Weird. Blame it on luck or location I guess. Of all the match I played, I got like 5% or less Akumas.

Also Akuma has been severely toned down by Sirlin (SF player guy who balanced Remix) a few matchups remain in his favor though. Most people that pick Akuma are actually noobs who don't really know how to use him and still think his air fireball makes him "omg pwnage"...blame it on attention deficit disorder I guess: in his first incarnation Akuma's air fireball are insanely powerful, read: broken. With each SF incarnations they've been toned down. Compared to the original, they are close to Dan's "Gado-ken" level. Guess they haven't noticed.

So most likely, you played a lot of scrubs who still think Akuma is the broken God-like boss character he was 10 years who can actually compensate for their lack of skill.
He's still a very potent character, but not in a scrub's hands. (edit for prosperity: he's still the best character just to make that clear in case some googler find this page)
One of the rare times someone I faced didn't play Akuma, they were using a turbo controller with E. Honda fierce hand-slaps all over the place. Great...

The guy you played in all likelihood did not used a turbo controller. The number of button presses you have to do for Honda's slap has been severely reduced in remix, so it's very easy to perform now compared to before.
Last edited by Snark on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's go-o-o-O~ togeda~
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

It's my understanding that Vega is really bad in Remix?
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Not according to this guide.

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/oc ... -hd-remix/

He's been nerfed (remix was all about balance so inevitably some characters got stronger other weaker) but still very competent.
Let's go-o-o-O~ togeda~
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

*yodels*
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Snark, trust me, the guy was using turbo. It wasn't just the fierce handslaps by themselves, but lightning-fast moves everywhere both air and on the ground. There was no entry on the guy, so he'd push you into the corner and God forbid he get a jumping attack to connect as it would turbo into half your life in a split second. I've played many SF matches over the past near 17 years, and its always been pretty obvious when you face someone with turbo. I knew guys that got very good using turbo controllers, yet they were below average without them. It was like a bad addiction they couldn't kick.

Aside from the multitude of Akuma users, I did get a few "regular" matches in against some ryu, blanka, & deejay players. One ryu player in particular must have been a world-class expert because he had memorized the EXACT timing and distance of every move. It was like trying to fight against a computer that would read your input and counter it. This guy would counter any attempt to attack and knew exactly how far away he needed to be for any given move to override. I think I got one punch to connect on accident the entire match.

Anyway, this was on the PS3 network, so if you say the lag is better on the xbox, that might explain the lag I encountered.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:
powerspike wrote::o She's a real pro.
So, I'm not the only one reading that, rooflez.
I'm not, but I think I might like to. What is it?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

somehow... i really don't think it's your kind of stuff.
Oh well.

First ponder this:

japanese young man with various sane hobbies living away from his fiancée meets young girl (actually a robot dutch wife) on the run from a perv (actually her creator).

... then, clicky.

It uses the classic censored tricks, and it's full of jokes and more-or-less subtle innuendo (see previous joystick pic)... not everyone's cup of tea.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:somehow... i really don't think it's your kind of stuff.
Oh well.

First ponder this:

japanese young man with various sane hobbies living away from his fiancée meets young girl (actually a robot dutch wife) on the run from a perv (actually her creator).

... then, clicky.

It uses the classic censored tricks, and it's full of jokes and more-or-less subtle innuendo (see previous joystick pic)... not everyone's cup of tea.
That sounds awesome.

My head will probably hurt later, and I will curse you for introducing me to it.

Ah well, it can't be worse than some stuff I've followed on my own(and followed all the way through, feeling my brain cells wither with every new installment).

*clicks link*
VietBitter
Rookie

Post by VietBitter »

powerspike wrote:
:o She's a real pro.
Source to this manga?
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Grinvader already gave the source. But if you'd like to read this horrible manga issue it's chapter 33 of volume 5. It does kind of help to know what's going on with the story in the past issues, but it's not that important. Fakku has a couple of naughty street fighter specific ones if you fancy that sort of thing too.

Lol.. this thread is derailed so bad..
VietBitter
Rookie

Post by VietBitter »

Ah sorry missed grinvader's post. Do you mean http://www.fakku.net/ ? This place is a seems like a goldmine for english translated mangas. :lol:
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

powerspike wrote: Lol.. this thread is derailed so bad..
Meh business as usual. And hey,the Zsnes board wouldn't be the Zsnes board without the thread derailments.

De-derailing the thread for a second, actually from what I read ('read' past tense btw...most f*cked up written word in the English language) GGPO must actually be tailored for each individual game's code for the magic to work. So it only support a limited (albeit growing) number of games.
Let's go-o-o-O~ togeda~
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Snark wrote:GGPO must actually be tailored for each individual game's code for the magic to work. So it only support a limited (albeit growing) number of games.
That's kind of lame if that were the case. As for games it'd be nice to see some outside of CPS or Neo Geo. I'd say NAOMI, but there's no open source emulators good enough to run them. I'm hoping for the netplay plugin for NullDC to make a come back. : )
VietBitter wrote:Ah sorry missed grinvader's post. Do you mean http://www.fakku.net/ ? This place is a seems like a goldmine for english translated mangas. :lol:
Yup that's the one.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

powerspike wrote:
Snark wrote:GGPO must actually be tailored for each individual game's code for the magic to work. So it only support a limited (albeit growing) number of games.
That's kind of lame if that were the case.
That's the very nature of the code though. I think it's based heavily on some predictive algoritm or something, well actually can't say I really understand how it works but bottom line you can't simply add a game to the list and expect it to play.
As for games it'd be nice to see some outside of CPS or Neo Geo. I'd say NAOMI, but there's no open source emulators good enough to run them. I'm hoping for the netplay plugin for NullDC to make a come back. : )
Let's go-o-o-O~ togeda~