ZSNES Looks Terrible!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

seekingthetruth

ZSNES Looks Terrible!

Post by seekingthetruth »

I want to love this emulator, but I just can't! Why did the designers decide to make it look like something out of the early 90's and kept it that way? I know this is a lot to ask, and will probably be ignored, but why not use a template such as the JNES emulator ... that is standard, basic, and effective!

I would have thought people were sick of old emulators that brought them into a tacky display window rather than open up an actual window that looks like the rest of the software designed for Windows. I simply can't get around the poor design of this emulator, so I hope something will be done about it.

Hope you're listening ...
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

The UI was done years ago back when DOS was the primary platform. It's completely cross platform, and not exactly easy to alter, given it's all or mostly in x86 Assembly.

Edit: Just to make it clear, this emulator is over ten years old. Many of its' original devs were on DOS at the time.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: ZSNES Looks Terrible!

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

seekingthetruth wrote: I would have thought people were sick of old emulators that brought them into a tacky display window rather than open up an actual window that looks like the rest of the software designed for Windows.
Are you joking? Almost NO commercial entertainment software uses a native OS interface.
Hell, not even Windows Media Player does.

The native GUI is reserved for people too lazy to create their own interface or people sacrificing aesthetics for cross-platform compatibility(in which case they aren't using the native Windows GUI anyways, though some cross-platform libraries wrap decently enough that it's not obvious).
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

seekingthetruth wrote:
this is the part where grin laughs at you, i think
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

ZSNES Looks Terrible!
Yeah, that's why ZSNES 2 will use Qt and have a pretty much standard GUI.

What everyone else said.
escapee
Rookie

Post by escapee »

Play a game and you won't see the interface. Frankly, why care what it looks like anyway, so long as it functions properly.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

sweener2001 wrote:
seekingthetruth wrote:
this is the part where grin laughs at you, i think
This is the part where many of the long-time ZSNES users laugh at him, actually.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

lordmister wrote:
ZSNES Looks Terrible!
Yeah, that's why ZSNES 2 will use Qt and have a pretty much standard GUI.

What everyone else said.
No, teh fact that the existing GUI is a complete pain in the ass to maintian is why the next major revision will use Qt. And be skinnable, so that it WON'T have to look like another generic window.
sc0tt10

Post by sc0tt10 »

I've always liked the style of the GUI in ZSNES, never known why.
Fras
Hazed

Post by Fras »

Uhm.

Hahah.

No, I don't get this topic. =(
yawnmoth

Post by yawnmoth »

I like the current interface, as well. An interface from the 90's seems somehow appropriate when playing games from the 90's.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I.S.T. wrote:Many of its' original devs were on DOS at the time.
All of them. There was only DOS zsnes for several years.

failtroll op is not that fail due to people not being used to failtrolls around here
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Ph4n70m
Rookie

Post by Ph4n70m »

I like the current one...
And I will like the new if it is still possible to use the joystick to control the interface and open roms without the keyboard :)
mytmyke
Rookie

Post by mytmyke »

Configure ZSNES, then use a frontend. Then you won't have to see its UI again.
alyxx
Rookie

Post by alyxx »

I've always preferred ZSNES because of its retro look. After all, aren't roms supposed to be retro? And most of all SNES roms?

That rant is just... epic fail.
Awakened
Rookie

Post by Awakened »

If you don't like ZSNES' interface just use SNESGT until ZSNES 2.0 comes out.
alyxx
Rookie

Post by alyxx »

Even when ZSNES 2.0 comes out I'll still be using this old version just because I love the DOS-like interface.
mytmyke
Rookie

Post by mytmyke »

alyxx wrote:Even when ZSNES 2.0 comes out I'll still be using this old version just because I love the DOS-like interface.

LIAR!!!!
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

mytmyke wrote:
alyxx wrote:Even when ZSNES 2.0 comes out I'll still be using this old version just because I love the DOS-like interface.

LIAR!!!!
as for me, i still gonna use older version of zsnes, if its speed reached those of bsnes.
Killa B
♥ Love Freak FlonneZilla ♥

Post by Killa B »

Rashidi wrote:as for me, i still gonna use older version of zsnes, if its speed reached those of bsnes.
Having a native GUI doesn't necessarily mean it'll be slow. Snes9x, for example, is plenty fast.

I've always like ZSNES's interface, but I support the rewrite, mainly for the sake of the developers. You guys are crazy for doing all that in Assembly (but also awesome :P).
alyxx
Rookie

Post by alyxx »

I think ZSNES is pretty awesome because it sticks out. The DOS-like interface gives it a very original and nice-looking factor in contradiction to all those emulators who rely on a boring GUI.
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

alyxx wrote:I think ZSNES is pretty awesome because it sticks out. The DOS-like interface gives it a very original and nice-looking factor in contradiction to all those emulators who rely on a boring GUI.
Uh, contradiction? I think the word you're looking for is "comparison".
That's epic fail right there, dude.

And if by "sticks out" you are referring to how it looks completely out of place with other running applications, I agree with you. Not that I personally run zsnes in windowed mode...
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

I actually tried to create a zsnes-ish like GUI for Regen because of portability and because it would look same on all platforms and because it would be COOL. But I failed. :(
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

lordmister wrote:
alyxx wrote:I think ZSNES is pretty awesome because it sticks out. The DOS-like interface gives it a very original and nice-looking factor in contradiction to all those emulators who rely on a boring GUI.

And if by "sticks out" you are referring to how it looks completely out of place with other running applications, I agree with you. Not that I personally run zsnes in windowed mode...
you also missed the argument where no professional piece of software uses the standard windows decorations. like itunes, anything from adobe, steam, windows messenger (and media player, and office 2003 and 2007), ccleaner, dvdfab, even the bigfishgames loader, etc.

so basically, EVERY program looks out of place to you.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

lordmister wrote:
Perhaps he meant contrast.
AamirM wrote:I actually tried to create a zsnes-ish like GUI for Regen because of portability and because it would look same on all platforms and because it would be COOL. But I failed. :(
Awww. :'(