ZSNES Video Dump Butterfly Effect (Help!)

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Berret
Rookie

ZSNES Video Dump Butterfly Effect (Help!)

Post by Berret »

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to this process, but I am starting to get the hang of it. I am getting great audio and video quality with the xvid lossless and the settings I have. I'm pumping out a solid presentation resolution of 1280x800 which is perfect for a widescreen HD display.

Here is my very serious drawback:

I am trying to dump a very LONG video. It's a 1 hour and 48 minute 100% Speed Run of Super Metroid. The video, in total length, actually ends up being a little longer than that I believe, but within about 20 minutes I run into a probability-based issue. Occasionally, the emulator incorrectly moves the character and sets off a chain of events that has me either die or jump around aimlessly in the same area for over an hour (after having left the computer during its encoding process). I have tried to dump the long video three times, each time failing at a different spot. This is how I know it is an error in the instructions given by the emulator during the dumping process.

I know that, in hindsight, I probably should have just taken several segments of the video (such as twenty minutes each) and dumped each one, but unfortunately I can't go back now. The video is already recorded.

Is there a setting or string I can include in zmovie.cfg that will either increase the accuracy of the instructions given during the dumping (such as activating an aggressive mode, which I understand is bound to slow the process down) OR fix this problem altogether? Is it a known bug?

I understand that this and only other scenarios of videos involving entire games from start to finish TRULY apply to error, as the chance for an error during dumping that causes such a butterfly effect are small when considering a short 10 minute video, but it is a nuisance nonetheless. Does anyone have an answer to this?

Thank you for reading.

I'm using menc latest version, lame fix, and zsnes 1.51 on Vista SP1 with a Core 2 Duo.

-Berret
Berret
Rookie

Post by Berret »

I have also posted in the current video dump sticky. It's a double for exposure. Mods feel free to merge once I get a response please.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

How about you don't post the same thing in multiple places.

If the topic you wished to discuss was in the sticky thread, then the creation of this one is not necessary.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome