Movie output resolution

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

rpgedgar

Movie output resolution

Post by rpgedgar »

I tried outputting to avi and it gave me a really small resolution (something like 240x240). Can I change it to be something higher?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

You could change it to something higher, but the size will increase... and it's not that beneficial as you are better off streching the image with your media player instead.

If you still need to increase the resolution, you will have to edit zmovie.cfg with Notepad or whatever text editor you wish.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Or use VirtualDubMod, AviSynth, ... if you want to re-encode the file.

Btw. it's probably 256x224, and should be stretched horizontally to a 4:3 size.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

creaothceann wrote:Or use VirtualDubMod, AviSynth, ... if you want to re-encode the file.

Btw. it's probably 256x224, and should be stretched horizontally to a 4:3 size.
From zmovie.cfg:
md_merge="$md_prog $md_other $md_smode -force-avi-aspect 4:3 -ovc copy -o merged.avi $md_file"

Of course if your player doesn't support aspect ratios...
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by rpgedgar »

Can I output to a specified resolution of my choice? The size now is way too small and I need the resolution to be better quality.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

It's SNES, dude. There's no better quality.

Postprocess the original resolution is all you can do.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

rpgedgar wrote:Can I output to a specified resolution of my choice? The size now is way too small and I need the resolution to be better quality.
You can edit the movie encoding file (zmovie.cfg) and pass which ever rescaling options you want to MEncoder to enlarge the video. We've discussed this elsewhere, use the search function wisely, and have it display the posts you need.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by denzilla »

Have any of you tried Kega with the encoder he uses? I wish ZSNES had something like that :(
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

denzilla wrote:Have any of you tried Kega with the encoder he uses? I wish ZSNES had something like that :(
Mencoder is very capable. A bit more difficult to use than other encoders but very powerful and a decent performer with most codecs. You could just dump to raw... I believe there's an option for that, then do whatever you want to it afterwards in a different encoder, but as has been said, you can't get any more quality/resolution out of the SNES than that...unless it's a high-res game, which zsnes can't dump.
denzilla
Hazed

Post by denzilla »

It must've been the encoder settings I was using with ZSNES cause the output from Kega looked exactly like I was playing the game live.