random stutters

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Czez

random stutters

Post by Czez »

I have a slight random stutter with both zsnes and bsnes. Every once in a while the emulator stops for 2 seconds and the sound stutters during this time, then it goes back to normal. This happens around every 5 minutes or so.

I'm also getting a windows error at the same time telling me "your display driver has stopped responding and has been restored" gives me the indication it might be driver related, but it ONLY happpens with either zsnes or bsnes, everything else is fine. Is this a know problem? Whats going on?

My specs are the following:
Core 2 Duo P8600 2.40Ghz
4GB DDR3
Intel GMA 4500HD + 9300M GS (hybrid graphics, this only happens when I use the intel card)
VIsta Business 32-bit
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Integrated graphics card. :?
Czez wrote:(this only happens when I use the intel card)
Use the other one.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
byuu

Post by byuu »

Try the other video drivers to see if you can rule out any specific API. ZSNES uses DirectDraw and bsnes uses Direct3D. If you go to Settings->Configuration->Advanced, you can change the video driver to OpenGL (fast) or GDI (very slow). Restart the emulator for it to take effect.

If that fails, it's most likely your video card and/or drivers.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

it's more than likely the drivers. laptop manufacturers don't put much effort into using the latest and "greatest," and intel doesn't provide public reference drivers for the mobile chipsets.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Czez

Post by Czez »

Yes, it works fine when I use the 9300M GS, but technically shouldnt the integrated intel card be enough?

The reason why I'm wondering is because Im testing custom drivers (since the stock drivers are old and slow) and the only error I get using the intel card is when I'm using zsnes or bsnes. So I just wanted to check if this error was known or if it might be related to the drivers.

EDIT
byuu: I tried what you suggested and switching to opengl and directdraw made the error disappear. However now, instead of getting the error I described I am getting temporary small fps drops in certain games. For example for 1 second the fps drops from 60 to 40-50.
Last edited by Czez on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

likely related to the drivers, as mentioned by Odditude above ^.
Last edited by franpa on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

franpa wrote:likely related to the drivers, as mentioned by Deathlike2 above ^.
I don't recall making an appearance in this thread until... right now.

Don't expect drivers from integrated graphics to be anything worthwhile. You have to get at minimum of mid-end graphics (whether it be laptop or the desktop version) to reduce headaches on your head. Integrated Intel graphics is ALWAYS integrated low end (even NVidia's or AMD's integrated is a ALWAYS little bit better, but that's not really something to write home about).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Deathlike2 wrote:
franpa can see forever

due to CRT radiation directly in the visual cortex
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Czez

Post by Czez »

Deathlike2: He probably knew you would appear anytime soon ;)

Anyway, thanks for the info I'll keep it in mind and stop using my intel card :P I knew it was bad just didnt know it was THIS bad. Guess the only thing it's good for is saving power!
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

grinvader wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:
franpa can see forever

due to CRT radiation directly in the visual cortex
Since when does FRANPA get super powers :cry:
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
byuu

Post by byuu »

However now, instead of getting the error I described I am getting temporary small fps drops in certain games. For example for 1 second the fps drops from 60 to 40-50.
That sounds pretty similar to what you were getting before:
Every once in a while the emulator stops for 2 seconds and the sound stutters during this time, then it goes back to normal.
It's probably one of those Vista background processes kicking in. I've seen it on my HTPC, figured it'd be better on a true dual core, but I guess not.
Czez

Post by Czez »

byuu wrote: That sounds pretty similar to what you were getting before:
The difference is that now its just a slight temporary fps drop, before the entire emulation stopped, caused by the display driver error. Anyway I'm getting slight random fps drops with my 9300M GS too, though not as frequent. (mostly this just happens with superFX games like Yoshis Island and Star Fox)

Perhaps it's just the high requirements of bsnes? :) Works pretty smooth most of the time tough.
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

Set the power settings to Performance, rather then balanced/power saver
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

"... now you're playing with Power!"
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list