Lost my saved game on real hardware

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

dfreer
Lurker

Lost my saved game on real hardware

Post by dfreer »

Just recently bought Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrels for my SNES, was playing it for a couple weeks with no problems. Popped it in the other day, and *poof* no more saved games, just blank. Saved a new game afterwards, turned it off and then turned it back on and the new saved game is still there.

Is this an indication of the SRM battery going bad/dead? Or is this just a glitch caused by power cycling the game too much, similar to the Final Fantasy for the NES (in that you have to hold Reset when Powering Off, or your game gets deleted)?

Thanks for any response, just trying to figure out if I need a new battery or if I need to be more careful when playing the game.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Not enough data to determine if it's a fluke powercycle sram wipe, a sram eating glitch or a bad battery.
Repeat the experiment several times.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

Thanks grin, I'll try a couple more times see if I can get it to erase my game just by powercycling.
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

You need a new battery.
But besides that, your connector inside your SNES could be dirty. All it takes is one errant write to the wrong address, and then the checksum doesn't match up anymore, and POOF, the next time the system is turned on, the game's code "re-initializes" the RAM.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It happens to me for SMW and FF2... this is normal and that's why those games are gathering dust somewhere.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: Lost my saved game on real hardware

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

dfreer wrote:Just recently bought Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrels for my SNES, was playing it for a couple weeks with no problems. Popped it in the other day, and *poof* no more saved games, just blank. Saved a new game afterwards, turned it off and then turned it back on and the new saved game is still there.

Is this an indication of the SRM battery going bad/dead? Or is this just a glitch caused by power cycling the game too much, similar to the Final Fantasy for the NES (in that you have to hold Reset when Powering Off, or your game gets deleted)?

Thanks for any response, just trying to figure out if I need a new battery or if I need to be more careful when playing the game.
It's not like FF1.
The "hold reset" issue was unique to the NES(and only to a certain subset of NES mappers, at that. Kirby's Adventure and Crystalis, for example, don't require you to hold reset).
And isn't really directly related to power-cycling. The direct cause is poor mapper design(at least as far as non-volatile RAM is concerned).

Now, a bad connection COULD cause it. I lost Sim City data once when something bumped my cartridge and the game crashed.