F1 / Incr. Frame actually moves 2 frames forwards !

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

filouk
Rookie

F1 / Incr. Frame actually moves 2 frames forwards !

Post by filouk »

It would be so nice if the "Incr. frame" feature just moved 1 frame forwards ! I could make much more precise APNG files (like gif, but better) ! I wonder why we can't move just 1 frame forwards ?
filouk
Rookie

Post by filouk »

I found a way ! In the Config menu, go to "Speed" and assign a key to the "Incr. frame" function. Now each time you press the key, the frame counter will increase by 1. However it's quite "buggy"...
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

ah. but in NTSC and PAL land, one frame is 1/30 or 1/25 of a second.

What you want is increment per field. Which will look horrid on interlaced video.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

There are few games that use interlaced video though.

filouk, I recommend using ZSNES's or SNES9x's (bluetoaster.net/emu/) AVI recording.
You can then convert it with tools like VirtualDubMod, AviSynth and Animation Shop.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
filouk
Rookie

Post by filouk »

At 50 FPS, you have 20 ms between two frames (1000/50). It's 1/50 of a second. Where do you get your "1/30" or "1/25" numbers from ?

What you want is increment per field. Which will look horrid on interlaced video.
I'm not creating video but APNG. Look here and tell me if it looks horrid ;)
(use Firefox 3)
http://www.consolegames.fr/apng/CrystalFlash.png

filouk, I recommend using ZSNES's or SNES9x's (bluetoaster.net/emu/) AVI recording.
I did this before. I remember I recorded lossless avi without sound with a previous Snes9x version. Now, with 1.43+ or 1.51, all I get when I record an AVI is wrong colours (the Super Metroid title screen is all red !) and poor quality (and there is sound, but I don't want sound). As for ZsNes, the ffv5 lossless codec is not supported by VirtualDub.

But I found a very nice solution. Since ZsNes will only allow 2 frames increment (the 1 frame increment I told you about in my previous post is very unstable, it corrupts the top of the screen), I first record odd-numbered frames and then even-numbered frames : first I record frames 1, 3, 5, etc. and then 2, 4, 6, etc. Then I use MasterRename so that they are in the right order when I create my apng with JapngEditor. And it works GREAT !

Again, look here :
(use Firefox 3)

Next ones won't have the FPS display, I will disable it.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

filouk wrote:
At 50 FPS, you have 20 ms between two frames (1000/50). It's 1/50 of a second. Where do you get your "1/30" or "1/25" numbers from?
"50 fps" (or 60) is the number of fields per second. In interlaced mode (what whicker was talking about), 2 fields are 1 frame. In progressive mode (used by most games), the fields are drawn at the same location so they basically become frames themselves.
filouk wrote:
I'm not creating video but APNG. Look here and tell me if it looks horrid ;)
(use Firefox 3)
That's not interlaced. ;)
filouk wrote:
I did this before. I remember I recorded lossless avi without sound with a previous Snes9x version. Now, with 1.43+ or 1.51, all I get when I record an AVI is wrong colours (the Super Metroid title screen is all red !) and poor quality (and there is sound, but I don't want sound). As for ZsNes, the ffv5 lossless codec is not supported by VirtualDub.
Codecs that use the YV12 or the YUY2 colorspace (h.264, xvid etc.) don't like things like pure red (#FF0000). You'll need a codec that uses the RGB colorspace, for example ZMBV, Lagarith or the CamStudio codec.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
filouk
Rookie

Post by filouk »

To take my snaps I first make a zsnes video and then I play it.

But the big problem is that ZsNes bugs if you use the Pause button while playing a video.

I would like to pause the video, see the frame number and then disable "Display frames", but I can't.

So I guess that if I don't want frame numbers on my apng, I'll have to find other ways than video, like recording input for example. Don't know...
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

VirtualDubMod displays frame indices.

AviSynth + AvsP works fine too...
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
filouk
Rookie

Post by filouk »

AVI recording in Snes9x works very well (no compression), it was my VLC that was playing the videos all in red, I don't know why. Apologies to Snes9x.

I then use "Avi4BMP" which will save every frame as a picture file, and it's done ! Cool.