ZSNES is no longer in active development.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

stigmata
Nazi

Re: ZSNES is not dead - Still in development

Post by stigmata »

Yes, I have survived the sands of time only to return to fight zombies. I can't believe this board is still around and active nonetheless.

How are you guys, grinvader & badinsults?

PS I find it highly amusing that my account creation date is one day before yours lol
[b]stigmata[/b]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Fine and dandy, RL stuff eating all my time though, probably the same for most people.

About those dates, remember last time the zboard exploded we more or less all rejoined in a few days' time. In my timezone (UTC+1) the three of us joined the same day, anyway ;p.

Draegur wrote:Well, I mean, it's always struck me as though there's not much room left for improvement. I would even rather play my games on ZSNES than on an actual super nintendo entertainment system :p Maybe SOME games aren't rendered to 100% perfection, but it many ways, ZSNES is better than the original, and I'm more quick to blame the games than blame the emulator, heheh.
There's still a lot of room for improvements, don't worry.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Yoshiyuki Blade
Rookie

Post by Yoshiyuki Blade »

Wow, it must have been by sheer coincidence that I registered that following day as well. I used to post more often before the forums were phpBB, but activity waded out over the years.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:Fine and dandy, RL stuff eating all my time though, probably the same for most people.

About those dates, remember last time the zboard exploded we more or less all rejoined in a few days' time. In my timezone (UTC+1) the three of us joined the same day, anyway ;p.
And I rejoined half a year later. Every time I think I'm out, you guys pull me back in!
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Draegur

Post by Draegur »

Hell, I haven't even been here before, but I've used and loved ZSNES for such a long time, I figured I had to pay my respects at SOME point... and also find a place where I can blab about it to like-minded folks ^_^
Alvein
Rookie

Post by Alvein »

missed this place, had to drop in, good to see people are still around. last time I logged in was 2007, unfortunately no new versions since then. :|
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Alvein wrote:missed this place, had to drop in, good to see people are still around. last time I logged in was 2007, unfortunately no new versions since then. :|
Oldschool!

(AKA: JB)
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Alvein wrote:missed this place, had to drop in, good to see people are still around. last time I logged in was 2007, unfortunately no new versions since then. :|
Hello Alvein, how ya been bud?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Rika

Post by Rika »

Wow ZSNES has been around for some time, i been using it a LONG time and i am just now joining, one thing that has always bugged me.. as with most emulators for the snes, is how the sound effects are always .. very off.
I only found one snes emulator that the sound is almost exactly the same, and thats with this emulator i found that was made in.. i think japan, SNESGT, it's almost perfect, it just does not have any rendering, it's pretty basic.
Snes 9x is like the worst for me. i always hear crackling, it has awesome rendering though.
Zsnes is almost perfect, once the sound is fixed up, among other things, it will work great.
I'm happy to see that it continues to be worked on.
Oh and, oddly enough, the only time zsnes has ever had proper sound, was on an old computer of mine, i tried to put vista on it, and for some reason when i did, the sound card was not totally compatible, but it did work and for some reason... zsnes sounded perfect on it.. and i was shocked.
I'm just now about to finally upgrade to a really good computer but it will have windows 7, so i'm worried about how well ZSNES is gonna work on it.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

The newest version of SNES9x (1.52) should not have crackling problems. In fact, once the next version of zsnes comes out, it will have pretty much the same sound engine as SNES9x and bsnes.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Rika

Post by Rika »

Both snes9x and bsnes crackle for me, and sound very off, you should look into what ever it is they did with snesgt, cause it sounds perfect for me, just like as if it was on an actual Super Nintendo.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Or maybe you should check your sound settings.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

badinsults wrote:Or maybe you should check your sound settings.
Indeed. I haven't had a problem with snes sound emulation 'crackling' in years. It isn't a common problem nowadays. i.e, your sound settings are fucked, not the emulators you are using.
Rika

Post by Rika »

Already did, their is nothing wrong with them, nothing else on my computer sounds as bad as SNES9X and BSNES, they crackle, and ZSNES misses notes and sound FX are off, but i don't get the crackle, do any of you use sound Soundblaster Audigy sound cards? that's what i'm using, a Soundblaster Audigy.. any suggestions?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Try using the DPC Latency Checker, you should get green bars all the time unless doing something particularly taxing.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Rika

Post by Rika »

I have no idea what you are speaking of.
Where is it located?
-EDIT-
Okay got it and checking, and it's always green bars, seriously i think their are just huge compatibility issues with BSNES and SNES9X and some computers, they don't work well for just any computer.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Rika wrote: i think their are just huge compatibility issues with BSNES and SNES9X and some computers, they don't work well for just any computer.
zsnes.com wrote:Remember that this is a public beta so don't expect this to run on your machine.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I haven't used an Audigy in ages. Didn't have sound issues when I did.
But I'd be inclined to blame Creative. They put out some seriously awful drivers.

And most applications have a few systems they don't get along with. I'm sure I could find something that makes SNESGT choke too.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Rika

Post by Rika »

Sadly i am always a little behind when it comes to sound cards, i always buy them a few generations behind, i can't afford to go all out and by the biggest baddest computer components out there, i don't know too many who can really.
It could be i don't have enough ram or something, my motherboard is a bit behind... i plan to upgrade, i hope when i do things start working better.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I'm not running the biggest and baddest, or even the latest. I'm just... not running Creative.

Depending on your computer, it could have something to do with interrupt sharing. I had a system that desperately wanted to put everything on one interrupt once upon a time. It caused no end of sound issues.
That particular system had a lot of other issues, too. Horrible build all-around.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Creative + Windows 7 = not a good combination. Creative have been incredibly slack at making decent drivers for Vista/7. If you were to go for a sound card then I'd recommend an Auzentech card even though they use the same SPU Creative make.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I have Windows 7 and a Creative sound card (X-Fi XtremeMusic) and it performs just fine with all of the above emulators. No crackling, no stuttering. Of course, I'm not using vsync locking with any of them, either.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

Rika wrote:i'm using, a Soundblaster Audigy.. any suggestions?
Audigy huh? and its on OS newer than XP..., could be this the case: ?
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=11297
http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 13&t=11300

you still using official driver, seek for the better unofficial ones.
Rika

Post by Rika »

Actually i'm still using XP, so it's not that.. but i guess when i do upgrade to 7 i will have to get a new card..
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I use an Asus Xonar, personally.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads