Can't record movies at all

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Clefaria

Can't record movies at all

Post by Clefaria »

Using 1.51 on Windows 7 x64.

So I load up some game, go into movie options, click "record", and...nothing happens. Clicking "play" brings me back to the game with "movie could not be opened", so does "append".

Status at the bottom says "inactive".

As you may have noticed, I'm just kind of throwing random information into this post in the hopes that something will reveal the culprit to someone more knowledgeable.

Why can't I record movies in ZSNES?
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Do saves work? Have you defined a path for saves? movies? What I'm getting at is the directory that it's trying to write the movie to (the ROM directory by default, if I'm not mistaken.) cannot be written to. This may happen if, for example, your ROMs directory is on a CD or something.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Did you read the movie thread in the FAQs section? You will need LAME and mencoder.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Clefaria

Post by Clefaria »

Deathlike2 wrote:Did you read the movie thread in the FAQs section? You will need LAME and mencoder.
No no, I'm not even THERE yet. I'm talking about recording to the emulator's own format, not encoding anything yet.
paulguy wrote:Do saves work? Have you defined a path for saves? movies? What I'm getting at is the directory that it's trying to write the movie to (the ROM directory by default, if I'm not mistaken.) cannot be written to. This may happen if, for example, your ROMs directory is on a CD or something.
Oi, when 'reinstating' my emulators, I changed some folder names, so the saves folder was set to "~saves", when it had become "_saves".

Thank you, I was racking my brain there. Works now. I'll go grab whatever I'm missing for encodes, and then go from there.

Thanks a ton.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

You have to be playing a game before you can start recording. If you can't record for whatever the reason, you need to have/give greater permissions for ZSNES in order for the program to create the folders and data for recording.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Clefaria

Post by Clefaria »

Deathlike2 wrote:You have to be playing a game before you can start recording. If you can't record for whatever the reason, you need to have/give greater permissions for ZSNES in order for the program to create the folders and data for recording.
Read the post directly above yours, please, Mr. Deathlike2. :)
isamu
Hazed

Post by isamu »

Speaking of in-game recording, I'm curious will the new ZMV format allow us to bookmark our movies so that we can resume it where we left off?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

isamu wrote:Speaking of in-game recording, I'm curious will the new ZMV format allow us to bookmark our movies so that we can resume it where we left off?
It already does, but the toolset to manage these features isn't complete yet.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
isamu
Hazed

Post by isamu »

grinvader wrote: It already does, but the toolset to manage these features isn't complete yet.
thanks grinvader, that is fantastic news! :) Can't wait til the new version :D