Problem with saved state in Super Mario World [E]

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

swiss_knight

Problem with saved state in Super Mario World [E]

Post by swiss_knight »

Hi all, :wink:

I encountered a problem this evening with super mario world (E).
I've done something wrong :
I unfortunately saved my game under Zsnes on the only saved state I had for this game just after the credits and the "the end" screen where Luigi Mario and Peach figure out happy together.

It's pretty cool, but now whenever I reload the saved state, it always appears at this screen, and you know... even when you press "start" at the end of the game, nothing happens....

I'd like to continue playing with this state. Does anyone get an idea please ?
I can even try to "open" the *.zst" saved file with an hex editor or something else, but I really don't know how to make that... :oops:

Thank's a lot !
(and sorry for my bad english )
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Can't you just reset the game, continue playing, and save again on the same state?

Edit: It's been a while since I played SMW, but you can choose to save after every castle and ghost house, right? If you never did that, I guess you're screwed, otherwise just reset and keep playing.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. This isn't SMAS where completing the game will allow you new options.

In your case, just load the state and then "Reset" the game. Whatever was last saved at this point would be there. Otherwise, you are SOL (simply out of luck).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Deathlike2 wrote:I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. This isn't SMAS where completing the game will allow you new options.
Some enemies change and shit, I think that's after finishing it the first time. But as I said, it's been a while, I could be wrong.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Johan_H wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. This isn't SMAS where completing the game will allow you new options.
Some enemies change and shit, I think that's after finishing it the first time. But as I said, it's been a while, I could be wrong.
you are.

there's a graphical change after completing special world, but no functional changes.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

odditude wrote:
Johan_H wrote:
you are.

there's a graphical change after completing special world, but no functional changes.
But not after beating Bowser.

Hmmm... can you get the 96* level counter on your load screen without beating Bowser, or does he count towards stages cleared?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

yeah bowser counts as a 1 towards the 96. I haven't checked, but I'm willing to bet the entire sram (.srm file) is stored in memory. in a separate save game, if you beat a castle, and the menu comes up to continue and save, make a savestate, then choose save from the menu. open the savestate and .srm file in a hex editor, and search for the first 10 values from the .srm file in the savestate file, or maybe 10 values from somewhere in the beginning of the .srm file in the savestate. from there find out where the .srm data in the savestate begins and ends, then copy and paste it from the savestate to a new .srm file. then you should have the actual savedata from the game and not the emulator specific savestate. maybe copy the .srm data into a separate savestate, because there's a number that changes called the checksum, and if it's not correct the .srm file will be cleared in the game.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
Mark7
Hazed

Post by Mark7 »

There aren't 96 levels in SMW. There are 96 paths between levels that you can unlock.

I haven't checked either, but i don't think you have to kill bowser.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ]Say NO to the Loudness war[/url]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The game doesn't save when you kill Bowser, so beating him is not stored away.

The extra star comes from the secret area with the insta-power ups.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
odditude

Post by odditude »

TOP SECRET AREA
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

And IIRC you have to clear the star world, BOTH ways, of all five levels.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
odditude

Post by odditude »

Mark7 wrote:There aren't 96 levels in SMW. There are 96 paths between levels that you can unlock.
not exactly. there are 96 level exits (the star world boards each have one exit that doesn't create a path).
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

They do to make a path -.-
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Depending on the order you beat the Star World level, you will create a "new" path. I think it's if you get the bar first before the key...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Deathlike2 wrote:Depending on the order you beat the Star World level, you will create a "new" path. I think it's if you get the bar first before the key...
The order doesn't matter, if I recall. The keyhole creates a path to the next star, the goal tape sends you running forward and back to where you started.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
odditude

Post by odditude »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:The order doesn't matter, if I recall. The keyhole creates a path to the next star, the goal tape sends you running forward and back to where you started.
you recall (mostly) correctly. if you break the goal tape, you simply stay put - no path is created. hence,
odditude wrote:the star world boards each have one exit that doesn't create a path
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

The "96" and all that jazz is the number of STAGE EXITS. Not paths.
The yellow stages have 1 exit, the red stages have more than one.
Expect ghosts houses to have at least 2.

If you miss exits, you probably forgot something in chocolate island 2, in any of the illusion forest stages, or the "stupid" exits of the star road.

That's all.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

odditude wrote:you recall (mostly) correctly. if you break the goal tape, you simply stay put - no path is created.
Except for the last star, where it just connects to the first star.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

grinvader wrote: Expect ghosts houses to have at least 2.
There were ghost houses that had more than two exits?
I always thought that they all had either one or two exits.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gonzo wrote:
grinvader wrote: Expect ghosts houses to have at least 2.
There were ghost houses that had more than two exits?
I always thought that they all had either one or two exits.
donut ghost house -> 2
donut secret house -> 2
vanilla house -> 1... right.
forest house -> 3... (to the left, to the bottom, and BACK TO FOREST OF ILLUSION 1)
chocolate house -> 1... think so. it sucks anyway.
valley house -> 2
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Forest House only has two. Leftmost from the starting area of the level (leads to Forest of Illusion 1), and the middle of the starting area of the level (leads of Forest of Illusion 4).
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

You sure there's not one leading to forest of illusion bottom ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Pretty sure. The only paths that are created towards the Forest Ghost House are by Forest of Illusion 1 (secret) and Forest of Illusion 3 (normal).
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I think there's only one stage with two tapes, and it's one of the bridges.
No stage has two keyholes.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
diminish

Post by diminish »

http://tasvideos.org/577M.html goddamn speculators