ZSNES Download May Be Infected

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

DarkSK

ZSNES Download May Be Infected

Post by DarkSK »

I downloaded ZSNES version 1.40 and ran it. AVG found it to be malware and threw it into quarentine. Now I know what you're thinking: "Oh AVG is just bulls***ing it's not infected!" Well I've downloaded the newest version and that one runs clean. I don't know about any of the other previous versions besides 1.40 though because I didn't want to test my luck. All I know is that it can't be a false alarm if the latest version comes up clean.
DarkSK

Re: ZSNES Download May Be Infected

Post by DarkSK »

I think it might be best to add that I just tested it again by downloading and running version 1.42 and it also runs clean. I don't know about any of the others though, it might be a good idea to check them out.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Instead of depending on just one virus scanner to determine if a file is infected or not, use virustotal (google it) to scan the file with many different product engines and verify it isn't a false positive.

dood edit: hint hint - it is
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Wasn't this reported before, because it was determined to be a keylogger (because it had to poll the keyboard :p)? If it's one of the "heuristic" ones, I wouldn't take it too seriously most of the time.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The keylogger guy was lol. I think it was McAfee that did that.

Anyways, the "infection" is probably the pathetic virus scanner's attempt to understand what UPX did to the executable to make it compressed/smaller.

So, blame your virus scanner for being lame.

I'm not sure if 1.40 is offered on SF though.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
DarkSK

Post by DarkSK »

Firstly AVG is the number one rated protection service among the technical inner circles of which I am a part of. Secondly it's being reported as Malware not a keylogger, not a trojan. If you had any experience you would know that malware is in a different category than a keylogged trojan. Secondly I have tested all versions of ZSNES over the course of the day and only version 1.40 comes up infected meaning a false positive has already been debunked. Thirdly, sunny I have 20+ years of experience in the technical feild and friends whom have their own various degrees in Plasma Physics and PHDs. If you want to match whits I'm afraid you've come 20 some years un prepared. On the matter I have nothing more to say, so bitch and whine all you want all I have to say is good day to you sir.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

DarkSK wrote:Firstly AVG is the number one rated protection service among the technical inner circles of which I am a part of.
Good for you.
DarkSK wrote:Secondly it's being reported as Malware not a keylogger, not a trojan. If you had any experience you would know that malware is in a different category than a keylogged trojan.
Actually, "malware" is a generic term, short for "malicious software." Keyloggers generally fall into this category.
DarkSK wrote:Secondly
I think you lost count, here.
DarkSK wrote:I have tested all versions of ZSNES over the course of the day and only version 1.40 comes up infected meaning a false positive has already been debunked.
No, that only means that AVG is not producing a false-positive for any other versions.
DarkSK wrote:Thirdly, sonny I have 20+ years of experience in the technical field and friends whom have their own various degrees in Plasma Physics and PhDs. If you want to match wits, I'm afraid you've come 20 some years unprepared. On that matter, I have nothing more to say; so bitch and whine all you want -all I have to say is "good day to you, sir."
Unfortunately, those 20+ years haven't taught you to double-check your spelling and grammar. Also, having friends with advanced science degrees says nothing about your own technical abilities; although the fact that you don't claim to have any such education yourself speaks volumes.

Making personal attacks against people trying to provide helpful information will get you absolutely nowhere.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

DarkSK wrote:match whits
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

HAHAHAHA

HAHA

oh wow

thanks for playing
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Why is it that on every emulator forum, there is always someone who insists that their virus scanner is detecting malware in an emulator from the official site and that the rest of the world's virus scanners are wrong? They are always rabid like this (I personally have never seen someone reply with "Yeah, I guess your right, I think I'll switch my antivirus").
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Clements wrote:Why is it that on every emulator forum, there is always someone who insists that their virus scanner is detecting malware in an emulator from the official site and that the rest of the world's virus scanners are wrong? They are always rabid like this (I personally have never seen someone reply with "Yeah, I guess your right, I think I'll switch my antivirus").
Brain was off when the comment was made.

See, if one were distributing a "virus", it would never be hosted on SF to begin with. It would be painfully obvious and be taken down immediately (by SF or us) whenever it happens.
This would apply to websites that have hosting services...

Even with that PHD or whatever "education" that guy claimed he had, common sense failed miserably here.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Clements wrote:"Yeah, I guess your right"
and it would be miraculous to see "I guess you're right"

but I'm just silly like that.

Deathlike2 wrote:Even with that PHD or whatever "education" that guy claimed he had, common sense failed miserably here.
Read again, he's merely part of a "technical inner circle", whatever that is supposed to be. oh, and "20+ years in the technical feild" [not the spelling one, huh].
Only the friends with "various degrees in Plasma Physics and PHDs" [if they even exist].
Doesn't even make sense. Why would plasma physics nerds know shit about fake positives in antivirus proggies ?

Well, aside from me, that is. ;p
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

grinvader wrote:Well, aside from me, that is. ;p
Like you know anything about plasma physics. :roll:
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Agozer wrote:
grinvader wrote:Well, aside from me, that is. ;p
Like you know anything about plasma physics. :roll:
well, i don't have any phd, but i understand the math that makes a tokamak work. your call.
皆黙って俺について来い!!