ZSNESW optimized

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

What evar
Rookie

ZSNESW optimized

Post by What evar »

I used to have tons of trouble with ZSNESW because of my gamepad (which made the games freeze for variable amounts of time during gameplay, so I decided to get the optimised version which works GREAT (I don¨'t know why my gamepad slows ZSNES down so much, my specs are way above the minimum requirements).

So, I'm wodnering, are there any downsides that come with the insane speed increase?
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

if its faster then the game allows, then your going to get very frustrated with fighting games where the computer is the speed of light and can land all over the place, but you can't see yourself jump.
Some people are like slinky's not really good for anything but you can't help smile when one falls down the stairs.
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

If you are refering to the optimized build made by ipher a while ago, there is no downside other than the fact that he won't make anymore builds like that because it took him like 20-30min to compile each port. Other than that it has no ill effects.
What evar
Rookie

Post by What evar »

God damn, why doesn't he make more if it's so damn fast? 20 minutes isn't THAT much. I happen to think it's WAY worth it.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

If you think it's so worth it, do it yourself. Ipher isn't your slave... If anything, you should be HIS slave.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

rage46 wrote:if its faster then the game allows, then your going to get very frustrated with fighting games where the computer is the speed of light and can land all over the place, but you can't see yourself jump.
What the hell? I don't think you understand what the optimised build does.
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

I probably don't because I use linux and my guess is that the build is not for linux.

Second I had a problem were the game would go so fast i could not turn (old GB emulator working in linux ran at about 600FPS with frameskip on. I was playing Pokemon) Those were the days.
Some people are like slinky's not really good for anything but you can't help smile when one falls down the stairs.
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

rage46 wrote:I probably don't because I use linux and my guess is that the build is not for linux.

Second I had a problem were the game would go so fast i could not turn (old GB emulator working in linux ran at about 600FPS with frameskip on. I was playing Pokemon) Those were the days.
That is why you don't use maximum frameskip unless you are doing something mundane that needs more of time than anything else. Example: Training for all the jobs mastered in FF5.
Everything I say is a lie.
What evar
Rookie

Post by What evar »

Well, i'd be glad to compile it myself if that's all it takes, but I don't know a whole lot about this stuff, so if he released a Windows source (I'm not sure if he already does) could I compile it myself?
PFUNK
Rookie

Post by PFUNK »

I think Ipher said a little while back that he may do the same optimizations when the final version (1.40) is finalized.
ipher
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by ipher »

The thing about the Optimized versions.

When i said it takes twenty minutes to compile, that is EACH PORT. So, it actually takes me 40 minutes to do both DOS and Windows. Now, remember that my internet isn't exactly the fastest in the world, so it takes about ten more minutes to upload the files to my server. Thats 50 minutes each WIP release. Now, if development kick-starts again, and i start doing multiple WIPs per month, you can imagine how much time that'll take up.

If you really want the Optimized build, you CAN build it yourself, just download the Source Code, and look at Install.txt, it will tell you just about everything you need to compile it. Then when you can get it working, just go into makefile.win, and change "ASMFLAGS=-O1 -f win32 -D__WIN32__" to "ASMFLAGS=-O9999 -f win32 -D__WIN32__", and re-build it.

Or you can wait until 1.40, which most likely will have the optimizations in it.

-ipher
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

ipher wrote: Or you can wait until 1.40, which most likely will have the optimizations in it.
-ipher
Of course, that may be several more years. :wink:
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Some of us are trying to make it happen this year you know.

But some others cough aren't helping at the moment.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by What evar »

Alright, thanks! I really love these optimised builds, it makes ZSNES so much more enjoyable!