Best OS For Zsnes

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

nuhuysm
Rookie

Best OS For Zsnes

Post by nuhuysm »

What particular windows does Zsnes works on perfectly?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Re: Best OS For Zsnes

Post by Agozer »

ZSNES doesn't work "perfectly" on any Windows version. If you want ZSNES to work adequately, any Windows version bar 3.11 and lower will do, I suppose. Don't be an idiot and try to run the DOS version in Windows, however.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

personally verified to work like a charm on XP/Vista/7. the readme says it still supports 95/98/Me/2000, and that doesn't surprise me at all.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Wasn't there some decision in the past (I remember a poll) about maintaining support for windows 95 or 98? For those you could just use the DOS version. If anything, though, I imagine an oldish computer with oldish video card and oldish driver running windows xp probably would have the most success of working, but as long as zsnes is working in vista or 7, which is generally the case, you won't see any benefit from using any different version. It won't effect emulation at all. Only difference is that in vista and 7 you won't get directdraw smoothing, so if you want that, you'll need XP.

I think that's about it.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

paulguy wrote:Wasn't there some decision in the past (I remember a poll) about maintaining support for windows 95 or 98? For those you could just use the DOS version.
Lot of 9x machines with soundcards that are ill-behaved as far as MS-DOS is concerned, unfortunately.
Also, gamepad support. It may be hard to get an original Microsoft Sidewinder in this day and age.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

odditude wrote:personally verified to work like a charm on XP/Vista/7. the readme says it still supports 95/98/Me/2000, and that doesn't surprise me at all.
Agozer was probably taking the filename at face value. "ZSNES" used to refer to the DOS port, "ZSNESD" the DOS port w/ debugger, "ZSNESW" the win port...
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
odditude

Post by odditude »

we posted concurrently; i wasn't commenting on his response.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

paulguy wrote:Wasn't there some decision in the past (I remember a poll) about maintaining support for windows 95 or 98? For those you could just use the DOS version. If anything, though, I imagine an oldish computer with oldish video card and oldish driver running windows xp probably would have the most success of working, but as long as zsnes is working in vista or 7, which is generally the case, you won't see any benefit from using any different version. It won't effect emulation at all. Only difference is that in vista and 7 you won't get directdraw smoothing, so if you want that, you'll need XP.

I think that's about it.

unfortunately I've changed my OS from XP to 7 :(

la baie acai
Last edited by Kevin on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Except for the annoying "associate every goddamn SNES ROM image extension with the emulator on startup whether you want it or not" issue, I recommend Snes9X.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

kode54 wrote:Except for the annoying "associate every goddamn SNES ROM image extension with the emulator on startup whether you want it or not" issue, I recommend Snes9X.
..you mean that "feature of the OS" is still broken within Snes9X and/or ZSNES? if not, how exactly is it annoying?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
odditude

Post by odditude »

kode54 wrote:Except for the annoying "associate every goddamn SNES ROM image extension with the emulator on startup whether you want it or not" issue, I recommend Snes9X.
annoying as hell, but removing the extensions from <snes9xdir>\valid.ext nips it right in the bud.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I thought that file also controlled which extensions it will display in the file open dialogs?