Undesired Video Artifcats in ZSNES

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

zedrein
Rookie

Undesired Video Artifcats in ZSNES

Post by zedrein »

Overall I would say that I am well pleased with the performance of the latest ZSNES release. However, I have noticed that there are annoying problems when running a ROM image on a computer display. I own a Compaq Presario notebook PC but when I run ZSNES my games contain a lot of "flicker" and lack a certain fluid feel to their animation. For instance, when I play a game like EarthBound I observe this effect whenever Ness is moving in an animation sequence; the colors on screen almost appear to go from light to dim intermittently and lines sort of wiggle. I thought that this may be a frame rate issue but my PC's display is also running at the same 60Hz frame rate as a real Super NES. Basically I am just trying to see if there is anyway to remedy this problem, I find it to be a bit of a strain on the eyes and can give the illusion that the game is running slower that it actually is. I thought that this might be a phenomena exclusive to modern LCD displays but I seem to remember my old CRT monitor performing similarly.

For reference I am running ZSNES in a windowed 512X448 resolution with no filters selected. Video options screen literally reads 512X448 D (allowing filters) R (maintaining 8:7 aspect ratio) and W (windowed screen)
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Undesired Video Artifcats in ZSNES

Post by paulguy »

Flickery effects sound like poor display response time. Otherwise it sounds like you neeed to turn on vsync if it's being perceived as a flickery break in the screen.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
zedrein
Rookie

Post by zedrein »

V Sync is actually off, along with all the other video effects. Today I tried to use a windowed 512X448 resolution without pixel doubling and it looked too blurry and dark for enjoyment, and it didn't remedy the effects I am speaking of. It's interesting to consider that it could be poor display response time that is my issue. Because of the problems encountered I've actually considered using a dedicated gaming machine (ie my Nintendo Wii) as my emulator's platform. Has anyone tried this and is it preferable to play games on a classic controller and on a tv as opposed to a PC?
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Very much up to preference and your specific setup. If your TV does better than your monitor, yes. Also, the classic controller is fantasic, I would say. There are PC adapters for it; both wired and wireless.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae