Final Fantasy II - Non Cheeseball Edition Freezing

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Bacon
Hazed

Final Fantasy II - Non Cheeseball Edition Freezing

Post by Bacon »

Not sure if this is the right place, but when you get to the cave of mist, and get the he spot where mist first starts talking to you (top right of the cave) zsnes quits. I've tried v1.42, 1.36, different ips patches,patching v1.0 and version 1.1 but nothing seems to fix it. I'm just wondering if its the IPS file or zsnes, because I really want to play this,

thanks.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Post your rom info with NSRT.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Bugs in a patched rom are the problem of the creator of the hack.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Re: Final Fantasy II - Non Cheeseball Edition Freezing

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Bacon wrote:Not sure if this is the right place, but when you get to the cave of mist, and get the he spot where mist first starts talking to you (top right of the cave) zsnes quits. I've tried v1.42, 1.36, different ips patches,patching v1.0 and version 1.1 but nothing seems to fix it. I'm just wondering if its the IPS file or zsnes, because I really want to play this,

thanks.
Does it freeze without the patch?
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Bacon
Hazed

Post by Bacon »

No the game wors fine without the patch so it is the IPS, I guess the author used a bad version of the game then when he made the patch?
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Bacon wrote:No the game wors fine without the patch so it is the IPS, I guess the author used a bad version of the game then when he made the patch?
That, or there is a bug in the patch.

Out of curiosity, do you have this problem with Snes9x?
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

There's a pretty good chance that the original poster is using the WRONG version of the ROM in use for the IPS patch. The patch "should" say what version of the ROM of FF2 to be using. There are two versions... 1.0 and 1.1.

I recall one of the FF2 hacks required the 1.0 patch (not the hack the original poster is using)..
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Deathlike2 wrote:There's a pretty good chance that the original poster is using the WRONG version of the ROM in use for the IPS patch.
Ahem.
Bacon
Hazed

Post by Bacon »

If you read above i've tried v1.0 [!] and v1.1 :S

Ill try it in snes9x when i get home from work and see if it still freezes
LobStar
Lurker

Post by LobStar »

barring that, you might get in contact with mogwai, if you have AIM I can see what I can do for you
... Ever take a look at the Earthbound ROM? I SWEAR THE PROGRAMMERS WERE ON CRACK WHEN THEY DID IT! JUST LOOK AT IT!
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Whoops... my bad.

Though, I haven't seen any NSRT output.. which just leaves the chance for a bad ROM checksum (when unpatched)..
user222
Rookie

Re: Final Fantasy II - Non Cheeseball Edition Freezing

Post by user222 »

Bacon wrote:Not sure if this is the right place, but when you get to the cave of mist, and get the he spot where mist first starts talking to you (top right of the cave) zsnes quits. I've tried v1.42, 1.36, different ips patches,patching v1.0 and version 1.1 but nothing seems to fix it. I'm just wondering if its the IPS file or zsnes, because I really want to play this,

thanks.
No, the bad code was done on purpose by the author of the patch, to make the game crash. It has nothing to do with the ROM.
part of the readme wrote:And also, don't play past Mist Cave. The demo ends there. TheGun wanted to put a coolio crash message for Mist Cave, but only with minimal success; ZSNES crashes all right, but no coolio message. :( So umm... just stop playing at Mist Cave. There.
Bacon
Hazed

Post by Bacon »

That sucks, I was looking forward to playing the game with the better dialogue :(
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Bacon wrote:That sucks, I was looking forward to playing the game with the better dialogue :(
http://donut.parodius.com/?func=trans&p ... amekey=300