......My Saves...Are.....GONE!!!!!!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

kthom

......My Saves...Are.....GONE!!!!!!

Post by kthom »

:shock: ok i had a folder on my old computer with the zsnes and all my roms in it....the only game i really played was TOP and i got pretty far in it. Then my dad tells me "Son your getting a new computer" so i thought "cool" and just burnt that folder with all my emulator stuff onto a disc i trasferred the folder over to my new computer. When i went to sit down and continue in TOP i double clicked on the SMC file and it didnt know what program to use, so i just browsed to the file and clicked on the ZSNES...the game started and when i pressed F4 to load my game ( i think its F4) it said it couldnt find my save. I took a deep breath....fell apart and cried for a good hour... gathered my self again and looked at the files i had in the TOP folder in my Emulator Stuff folder there are a few more files in there with the SMC file (which is the one with the rom in it...right?) theres a rominfo text document... two SRM files (which i think i heard somewhere were the save files but i dont know how to put them back in so i can use them) one SRM file is called "Tales of Phantasia (J) [T-Eng1.2_DeJap]" and the other SRM file is called "TALESO~1". There is also two ZST files with the same headers as the aforementioned SRM files except there's a ".zst" at the end. There's also a ZS1 file entitled "TALESO~1.zs1". When i clicked on the SRM files it didnt know what program to use with them (in fact it doesnt seem to know what program to use for any of the aforementioned files) so i told it to use ZSNES with them and that didnt seem to put my saves back in. Man i just wrote way to much for one simple little question. Could you guys please tell me how to get my saves back in, i dont want to have to go through the game all over again. Thanks Alot....i'm a total newb by the way. :D
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

ZSNES isn't supposed to be used in that method usually (associating ZSNES with any of the files it generates is not good I believe)

What you want to do is this:

On your old computer, make sure you use the internal-game save feature for games that have one. (This means, load the game up and use the in-game save, then quit the emulator... repeat for every game that have in-game saves.)

After doing that, you can transfer those files..

It sounds like you were using the DOS version of ZSNES previously... so the names of the .srm or .zst files are weird looking.

I'm not sure if you are using the DOS version in your new computer (I doubt it) so you should be using the Windows version.

To make the .srm files work in the Windows version.. rename the files that have been generated by your old computer..

example: TALESO~1.srm

Convert that to the name of the original ROM file .

example: Tales of Phantasia (J).smc is the ROM
So, your .srm file needs to look like
Tales of Phantasia (J).srm

You do NOT want to use the existing .srm files that were generated by ZSNES on your new comp, because those are "newly" generated files (this does NOT have any of your save data).

I hope this helps.

You cannot do the same with the .zst files because of potentially numerous changes that have been made with ZSNES and are practically incompatible with the newer/current versions of ZSNES.

You are still able to generate valid .zst files with newer versions of course.
Paul Bunyan
Lumberjack

Post by Paul Bunyan »

if ToP is in a different folder than the program Zsnes, the saves should be in the Zsnes folder by default, you can change this folder in the gui, if you want
It is my job to teach the dumb.
[url=http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/]Free Antivirus Scanner[/url]
[url=http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/]Free Adware Scanner[/url]
[url=http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html]Free Spyware Scanner[/url]
kthom

Post by kthom »

thanks i'll try and see if it works and get back to you guys
kthom

Post by kthom »

how do i rename the .srm files they dont have .srm at the end it just says "TALESO~1" there is no .srm...how do i change it now?
kthom

Post by kthom »

Mr. Paul Bunyan ZSNES is in a different folder but the only thing in there with it is a whole bunch of text documents and a DAT file called "zguicfgw" and a CFG file called "zsnesw.cfg" take into consideration that i have no idea what those two files do...so maybe those are the things you were talking about :D
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

how do i rename the .srm files they dont have .srm at the end it just says "TALESO~1" there is no .srm...how do i change it now?
Just change it (add the .srm to the end of the name).

The .srm files are almost always 8kb long (2kb in some instances)... you don't want to be renaming the wrong data...
kthom

Post by kthom »

wait a second do you want me to change my .smc (the rom) to a .srm or the .srm files to a .smc.....confusion follows.... :?
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

NO, the .smc is still .smc. You should have some files that are ~8KB, which are your .srm files.
Everything I say is a lie.
kthom

Post by kthom »

i do have files that are 8KB that are the SRM files.....now what....you want me to change the SRM files into SRM files...or just add .srm at the end?
kthom

Post by kthom »

wait never mind i'm so stupid you just mean change the name of the SRM file (say if the file is Tales.srm and your SMC file is TOP.smc just change the Tales.srm to TOP.srm) ....i finally see the light
kthom

Post by kthom »

i'm not going to use the old 1.39 version of ZSNES i'm going to go ahead and download the 1.42...if this makes anything worse you should let me know
kthom

Post by kthom »

thanks for the help guys i got it to work my renaming all my files to the SMC file name
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

shut the fuck up and learn how to use the edit button.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Wow, 4 posts in a row. There's an edit button for a reason.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I smell lockage, but seriously quabruple posting is blasphemy.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Aerdan wrote:shut the fuck up and learn how to use the edit button.
He is a new member at the message board. Quadruple posting is annoying, but you should have been more polite.
Oblivion
What?

Post by Oblivion »

He has to look at the thread to use the Post Reply button, at which time, the edit button is right in front of him.
Everything I say is a lie.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

The drunk doesn't lock the thread.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

Post by Magus` »

But the lucid do.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Aerdan wrote:shut the fuck up and learn how to use the edit button.
That is really uncalled for.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome