A command suggestion

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Serious Callers Only

A command suggestion

Post by Serious Callers Only »

Hi. There is something that alway bothered me in the command schemes of most consoles, the use of a directional pad in some games when a mouse like input type would make more sense. I hope i'm not bothering the devs with a senseless suggestion, but i think it might be possible to simulate that pad using a mouse. I belive that the n-rage n64 input plugin does this. Again, i reiterate, its not very useful for most action games, but it might be nice for some slower paced grid like strategy games.

Any reason why this is impossible?
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

I am not sure I understand. You want to use an analog input to simulate a digital pad input? What would be the point of this? It wouldn't work the same was as the NRage plugin, the snes never had any analog input device, unless you count the mouse.
~Bent
LobStar
Lurker

Post by LobStar »

Maybe it could make FF6 Blitz more fun to do :-D. Even still, I don't think it would be terribly hard to implement however, I feel some sort of onscreen display in the corner (after calibrating the mouse of course) would let you see the mouses general orientation so you have some idea whats going on. I'm not one to speak for input dev at all but I don't think it would need TOO much work to do since ZSNES aleady can make use of the mouse in the GUI.
... Ever take a look at the Earthbound ROM? I SWEAR THE PROGRAMMERS WERE ON CRACK WHEN THEY DID IT! JUST LOOK AT IT!
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Soooo....instead of pressing the buttons on your keyboard/joypad, you want to press them onscreen with your mouse? :?

Nah, I think I see what he means though (but I'm half guessing here), some games have free moving cursors that can only be controlled by the joypad and not the SNES mouse, it would be nice to be able to use the mouse for those. I believe someone made a hack like that for Front Mission, but it involved modifying the game code itself.

If you wanted to implement something like that in Zsnes itself I think the only way to make it work globally would be to....create some sort of system with high speed tapping on the directional pad in different frequencies, corresponding to mouse movements. But it wouldn't work for many games since they make cursors and characters move with some sort of acceleration to begin with, causing general chaos.

In short: No.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

blackmyst wrote:In short: No.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

It would be possible to hack SNES mouse support into these few games that need it and they'd work on today's ZSNES with no additional coding needed. ;)

You best get to it buster.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.