Need a little help with the picture

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

duktak

Need a little help with the picture

Post by duktak »

Sorry if this is addressed in the read me. I looked through the whole thing and didn't notice this anywhere. Anyway, the picture in my games is a little dark. Normally it isn't really a problem, but when I'm in an area with a darker background (like a cave in FF3), I can't see anything and I have to press the escape key for the grey screen to come up so I can see the background. I've tried adjusting my monitor's settings and my video card settings, but no matter how bright I make everything else, it has no effect at all on my emulator. Is there a brightness control for the emulator somewhere I'm not finding? Is anybody else having this problem? I'm running on win98 if it makes any difference. It's not really a big problem, just incredibly irritating. Thanks for any help.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Try deleting Zsnes configuration files, then try installing the latest drivers for your videocard.

Also, try using the lates WIP for Zsnes:
http://www.ipherswipsite.com/zsnes/
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

There is no brightness control in Zsnes. I'm thinking it's your monitor.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

A lot of DVDs (most Disney DVDs, some others) have a THX picture calibration feature. If you have a DVD drive, pop one of those in.

Alternatively, some monitors have a movie feature (NEC monitors call it SuberBright or just "SB") that will up the gamma on the monitor.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

Depending on what video card you have, you can do it via yor video drivers control.

I have Catalyst (ATI's Radeon drivers) set to a higher gamma level for direct3d, which carries over into Directshow, what Zsnes uses. It automatically goes up when I enter Zsnes, and goes back down when I quit.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
Dead
Lurker

Post by Dead »

AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Yes. I was trying to remember what that was or where I found it. Great program. The only thing better is NEC's NaviSet utility, but you need an NEC DDC/CI-compatible monitor and driver to use it.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Dead
Lurker

Post by Dead »

Those NEC monitors are really nice. I hope CRT technology continues to evolve.