Music Recording?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Suboshi

Music Recording?

Post by Suboshi »

I would really love to be able to use SNES to capture music of old video games I love like Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Legend of Mystical Ninja. It it possible to use ZSNES to capture music recordings? If not, are there any plans for future ZSNES releases to do this?

If the answer to all the above quesions is "no,", are there any suggestions as to where I can go to help me achieve my goal? Thank you in advance!
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

This is already possible. Go to Zophar's Domain to download the music set. Then you can use a WinAmp plugin called SNESAmp to listen to the sets.
Last edited by snkcube on Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Suboshi

Post by Suboshi »

This is great! Thank you very much for the super fast help, you've made my day.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Could you re-download the plugin? I sort of gave you an old version.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

snkcube wrote:Go to Zophar's Domain to download the music set.
Actually, I would recommend www.snesmusic.org Their tracks are completed and more properly timed, tagged, etc.; useful if you want to dump them into .wav files (using the Winamp DiskWriter plugin) for burning to CDs. ;)
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

IceFox wrote:
snkcube wrote:Go to Zophar's Domain to download the music set.
Actually, I would recommend www.snesmusic.org Their tracks are completed and more properly timed, tagged, etc.; useful if you want to dump them into .wav files (using the Winamp DiskWriter plugin) for burning to CDs. ;)
Ah, I see. I'll keep that in mind. :wink:
Akaroo

Post by Akaroo »

uh... you do know that you can save the music directly out of the game, right? Press F1, and then "save SPC data".

You have to do this before the music cuts in, preferably when the screen is still black from the "scene change" because saving SPC data only saves what *hasn't* been played. Then SnesAmp for winamp plays the spc file. Although the above listed sites have this done for you already, with full "ID3"ish type info and all that, but for games that aren't available on sites, you can make your home-made spcs this way.
Richard C.
Lurker

Post by Richard C. »

Akaroo wrote:uh... you do know that you can save the music directly out of the game, right? Press F1, and then "save SPC data".

You have to do this before the music cuts in, preferably when the screen is still black from the "scene change" because saving SPC data only saves what *hasn't* been played. Then SnesAmp for winamp plays the spc file. Although the above listed sites have this done for you already, with full "ID3"ish type info and all that, but for games that aren't available on sites, you can make your home-made spcs this way.
but that is VERY VERY hard for a lot of games, and it would save most a lot of effort to just download them from someplace like snesmusic.org
Latest ZSNES release: [url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com]ZSNES 11/12/06 WIP[/url]
Latest NSRT release: [url=http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/]NSRT 3.3 Final[/url]
SadeghiJK

Post by SadeghiJK »

Thank you guys, you have told me everything I need to know. The music is gonna be so great. :D
SadeghiJK

Post by SadeghiJK »

Hello, I'm having a little trouble here. How to you dump the .spc music into .wav format? I want to do this so I can put SNES music on a CD.
SadeghiJK

Post by SadeghiJK »

nevermind, I've found out how to do it.
zoink
Rookie

Post by zoink »

victoly! :)
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

I should have mentioned this before. In case anyone didn't know, you can go to the settings of winamp and have it record an .spc file to .wav. But before you do so make sure the music you are playing is not a .rsn file. Decompress it first so you can change the time of individual files. Set the song lengths to what you like by right clicking and going to "view file info". Next go to the winamp preferenecs and under plugins section click on output. There it shows you what the current output plugin is and you can change that to one that records such as the Nullsoft Disk Writer. Select it and when you play an SPC it will record a wav of it. After you are done change it back to an output that doesn't record. But keep in mind that these files will be HUGE. So make sure you're not low on hard drive space or something and it will be even better if you have a wav to mp3 converter to save some space. I haven't checked but there may be a plugin for winamp to directly record to mp3. I'll post it if I find one.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

You can use Foobar 2000. Output to LAME, Vorbis, FLAC, whatever you want.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

FireKnight wrote:But keep in mind that these files will be HUGE.
Yes, especially if you have configured SNESamp to produce high quality sound. You might want to use lower sample rates and low sample sizes (probably the default ones).
FireKnight wrote:So make sure you're not low on hard drive space or something and it will be even better if you have a wav to mp3 converter to save some space. I haven't checked but there may be a plugin for winamp to directly record to mp3. I'll post it if I find one.
You can use outLAME, which is really a Winamp frontend for LAME.

I would personally dump to wav first, then I would encode to MP3 using LAME at the command prompt. That's just my preference though, as I feel that I have more control using the command prompt rather than the frontend.
SpikeRevell

Post by SpikeRevell »

Can someone tell me if there is a program that will take SPC files from a game in bulk?

Also, how do I create an RSN file? I like having entire soundtracks packed togather, but I've got a couple that are seperate files.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

SpikeRevell wrote:Can someone tell me if there is a program that will take SPC files from a game in bulk?
Not possible, ever, period. Don't even try to ask why.
Also, how do I create an RSN file? I like having entire soundtracks packed togather, but I've got a couple that are seperate files.
Uncompress the RSN (it's just a RAR) and recompress with your new stuff.
Last edited by grinvader on Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
SpikeRevell

Post by SpikeRevell »

Thanks for the info.

Also, how do you regulate the length of a PCS file? On some of the soundtracks I've downloaded, the tracks are the length of the song - on the files I've ripped with ZSNES, they're always 3:00 long. I can't seem to find a function to change that length.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

You have to edit the ID666 tag and make the SPC player you're using read the tag.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
SpikeRevell

Post by SpikeRevell »

I tried doing that, but it's odd. It won't let me adjust any of the times. Either the boxes are grey and I can't access them or I can access them and I just can't change anything.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

You're using SNESAmp, right?

- extract the files if they're in a RSN (ie. RAR) archive
- load them into Winamp
- open the "file info" window for a song
- if the "Extended information" checkbox on the "extended" tab is checked, you have to edit the time on that tab; otherwise use the "ID666" tab
- use to "Apply" button to save the changes

Does this help?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list