Windows cannot seem to detect my controller

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Chris777

Windows cannot seem to detect my controller

Post by Chris777 »

Im trying to install a controller on my computer but im running into some problems. Windows says it does not say it recognized the device (and I dont have the drivers for it) but says it is enabled anyways. Im not sure who made my game pad either as the sticker is ripped off. But like I said it says it is enabled in the USB settings under some standard controller option but zsnes does not read my input of the controller.

Any ideas?
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Just to clear things up, is it connected by USB or the gameport?

Either way, you might as well look for the drivers.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

First thing to check: Does Windows see it in the "joysticks" or "gaming options" control panel?

Second thing: Does it work in the afore-mentioned control panel?

Third: Does it work in any other applications(say, Gens, MAME, NEStopia, etc.)

Also: What version of Windows are you running? Win95 doesn't support USB very well(only the final release supports it at all), and your pad likely won't work if that's what you're running.
Chris777

Post by Chris777 »

It has a USB port at the end that connects to a box that allows you to plug your controller in, but then again I think they all come like that. And im running it on windows xp, and when I go to control panel it does display generic drivers for the controller

EDIT: Also it does not work with any other emulators such as gens or mame
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Chris777 wrote:It has a USB port at the end that connects to a box that allows you to plug your controller in, but then again I think they all come like that.
No, they don't.
You're using a console controller adapter instead of a native PC pad. That's signifigant.

What adapter?
And im running it on windows xp, and when I go to control panel it does display generic drivers for the controller
Does it list it as "OK," "not connected," or what?
And does it work when you hit the test button(I think it's labelled properties)?
EDIT: Also it does not work with any other emulators such as gens or mame
*light goes on*
You HAVE remapped the controls, right?