Is it possible to...

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Aeline

Is it possible to...

Post by Aeline »

I was just wondering, is there an option I can enable to allow me to switch from playing ZSNES to other windows without having to press the Esc button?

I'm usually talking on messengers, doing homework, or looking things up while I play games and it's kind of hard to do that when I always have to hit Esc, click over, do what I have to do (click a link, send a message, etcetera) and click back over, hit Esc, and then repeat the process five seconds later.

Any comments are welcome and appreciated. Thanks. :)
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

Alt+Tab not at same time Alt first hold it down and press tab.
Last edited by rage46 on Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are like slinky's not really good for anything but you can't help smile when one falls down the stairs.
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

rage46, doing that does not pause emulation, so the game continues playing without focus. You have to press esc to pause emulation before switching to another program.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
rage46
Lurker

Post by rage46 »

Are you sure? I thought for sure it paused once you left the program.
Some people are like slinky's not really good for anything but you can't help smile when one falls down the stairs.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

rage46 wrote:Are you sure? I thought for sure it paused once you left the program.
Megabyte is right, although you can change the window, emulation won't stop, but as long as the game has a pause function, I don't see much problem.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Aeline

Post by Aeline »

Meh.. Instead of Alt+tab I usually hit the windows button to change back and forth, but it's a little annoying.

I guess I'll just have to deal with it. I usually only play turn-based SNES games anyway.

Thanks.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

are you playing full screen or in a window? either way zsnes doesn't pause emulation when focus is lost, but it's possible. other emulators are made to do it, so it'd be a matter of motivation or a large group of people wanting it. I think it'd be pretty neat.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
Aeline

Post by Aeline »

I usually play in window mode while I'm at the computer or multitasking. The only time I use the full screen mode is when I want to enjoy the luxuries of Chrono Trigger from my bed.

I like how in the ePSXe and in the Project 64 emulators you can switch to other windows when you're playing a game in window mode. With Project 64 it'll even pause the game if you change windows. Nifteh.
Lizking
Hazed

Post by Lizking »

I'm pretty sure ZSNES has an option to pause emulation when focus is lost.
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

If it did, someone else would have already replied with that.
cdbsi
Rookie

Post by cdbsi »

Yeah, those two emulators have those features because they are easier to implement, and no, the feature does not exist.
parasyte
Rookie

Post by parasyte »

cdbsi wrote:Yeah, those two emulators have those features because they are easier to implement, and no, the feature does not exist.
However ZSNES seems to have a one-of-a-kind feature whereby upon losing focus in fullscreen mode it goes berserk and emulates as fast as humanly possible.

Wait, I just realized why. I usually play with the frame limiter off and vsync on, so as to get 60fps. When focus is lost vsync also doesn't work and the nasty happens.

It'd be really nice, then, if ZSNES could pause when it loses focus.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Why don't you just pause the game? Then it doesn't matter if you press escape or not.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
parasyte
Rookie

Post by parasyte »

Nightcrawler wrote:Why don't you just pause the game? Then it doesn't matter if you press escape or not.
Because gaim devs won't make up their minds on how they want message windows to behave when you receive a message. Some releases it'll steal focus and come to the top, some releases it won't. It's really annoying and by the time I can press esc it would do nothing but close the message window, and wouldn't bring zsnes back into the foreground.