All buttons except left and right are the same

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

nornagon

All buttons except left and right are the same

Post by nornagon »

I'm using a (non-nintendo) SNES pad, converted to using the parallel port by myself. The controller appears to work fine in windows' "Game Controller" utility thing, but when I try to set the keys in zsnes, all the buttons appear as J10, excepting left and right (which appear as J0A and J0B).

The controller works perfectly when I'm using linux, so it's not a problem with my conversion.

Side note: A similar thing happens when I try using snes9x.
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

you'll need to supply the controllers with an external source of power instead of trying to run it with diodes connected to some output pins that get turned on.

some people use the USB bus to get +5V.
nornagon

Post by nornagon »

Like I said, it works fine on linux. It's not a problem with my converter. Also, I am using an external power supply; four AA batteries (= 6V). And Windows' Game Controller thingy picks up all the button presses fine.

I'm beginning to think it's a problem with the driver I'm using (psxpad)
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

yes

use PPJoy on XP/2000/NT machines. Just keep in mind you'll have to remove the controller from PPJoy's "Configure Joysticks" if you want to be able to print something (if anybody at all still uses the parallel port for printing).