Xbox controller and you!

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

TheDarkLich

Xbox controller and you!

Post by TheDarkLich »

Hi everyone.

I have bought a usb adapter that allows me to use my Xbox controller S on my pc (it's a limited edition one and you can see through it even! <<<< completely useless information) only it hasn't shipped yet and I was wondering if anyone ever tried using an Xbox controller with zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator)? The drivers were supplied in the item's description on ebay so I think my controller will be considered like a USB one.

Also is it possible to use the left joystick as a control pad, and did anyone have a good experiences with the xbox control pad or a similar one? (as in, do you sometimes jump when you have only pressed right, but it was tilted a bit too much?)

I would also like to know why the words (btw I have beans for brains) were suddenly added to my post. -_-
*Insert witty quote*
Bacon
Hazed

Post by Bacon »

Those words are added when you spell ZSNES wrong like zsns or zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator).
Sith
Lurker

Post by Sith »

Spelling that wrong would also confuse other readers...
I usually type "Zsnes" (as far as i can remember anyway...)
[url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com/]Zsnes WIP[/url]
[url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/?page=bsnes]Bsnes[/url] by Byuu
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion[/url] by SteveSnake
[url=http://www.viceteam.org/]Vice[/url] by Viceteam
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

The Xbox controller should work with ZSNES.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
TheDarkLich

Post by TheDarkLich »

Well that's good to know, but did anyone ever try it?
*Insert witty quote*
washuu108
Rookie

Post by washuu108 »

I've done it with a homemade Xbox to USB adapter and it works very well. You can use either joystick or the digital pad or even the buttons as the SNES digital pad, whatever you want. I've especially enjoyed using an Xbox controller for N64 emulation myself. For drivers I highly recommend XBCD, takes full advantage of everything on the controller including rumble and the analog triggers and buttons, although I've yet to find anything to really take advantage of the analog buttons. Only real issue I've had with it is that I can't assign an axis to both L and R, closest thing is having a fifth axis where one trigger lowers it and the other raises it. I think there is also a way to mess around with memory cards through the controller since the controller is a standard USB hub and the actual controls and peripherals are just normal USB devices.
TheDarkLich

Post by TheDarkLich »

Thanks a lot, I was wondering if the "all one button" nature of the control pad would make it less precise, but it sounds like it works perfectly.

I'll download that driver, thanks.
*Insert witty quote*
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: Xbox controller and you!

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

TheDarkLich wrote:Also is it possible to use the left joystick as a control pad
Yes. ZSNES maps analog axes as a button pair, and cross-links the first one with a d-pad.

TheDarkLich wrote:Thanks a lot, I was wondering if the "all one button" nature of the control pad would make it less precise, but it sounds like it works perfectly.
Nah, No issues from the visible design

Visible shape of the d-pad's got nothing to do with anything, really. Just the design on the underside(which you can't see without opening it up). And what I've heard is the XBox d-pad is one of the best.
<_<
Rookie

Post by <_< »

I've had actual SNES controllers which use a similar d-pad, and they worked (hell, still work) great. Mad Catz, I think.
It's-a me, Mario! Wait, no it's not.
TheDarkLich

Post by TheDarkLich »

Here's an update.

After much time wasting my time trying to find the driver for HID-compliant game controllers (which wasn't on my windows 98 install disc) I finally managed to get it to work. I'm quite happy with the results.

The only problem is that ZSNES will now crash every now and then. It's not that bad with savestates, but it is still annoying.

It freezes and only Ctrl Alt Delete will make it close.

Anyone else has the same problem?

By the way, I'm using xbcd v.1.07
*Insert witty quote*
washuu108
Rookie

Post by washuu108 »

I'm using the same version of the driver (though Windows XP) and the only problem I've had is a crash due to the controller being detected and lost multiple times very quickly. (Duct tape is an awful substitute for solder, by the way.) Nach is collecting crash stories in this thread though, so it couldn't hurt to post in there. Try to provide a bit more detail though, and make sure you are using the latest WIP.
TheDarkLich

Post by TheDarkLich »

I should be using a WIP version? Wouldn't a normal version be more stable since it has be tested enough?
*Insert witty quote*
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

TheDarkLich wrote:I should be using a WIP version? Wouldn't a normal version be more stable since it has be tested enough?
The latest WIP version is already a bit better than the official release. More bug fixes and new features.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

TheDarkLich wrote:I should be using a WIP version? Wouldn't a normal version be more stable since it has be tested enough?
WIPs aren't *that* unstable, but they aren't reported on the zsnes (I left my brains in the womb) site because they are, well, WIPs. If you want to know the changes in the WIPs over the last official release, check the changelog on my site. (see sig)
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.