analog stick or gamepad

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

qwerty

analog stick or gamepad

Post by qwerty »

which one you guys use more and is better??

my controller is the same design as PS2 controller but the gamepad sucks...cant even move right like when i go forward it does forward+up or when i go back it goes backward+down etc....

i thinks its the way the controller is designed...that pad looks like a analog stick

http://www.geeks.com/images/100x100/JOY ... F-unit.gif

i have to use the analog stick to play and its more responsive but the only problem i have with it is its too sensitive on racing games and when i try to do forward+forward moves it doesnt respond that good

maybe i should get a better controller but any of you have problems like this or your controller responds well?
Mike
ZBoard Prince

Post by Mike »

Well I have that exact controller it is hard to use and very sensitive...thats why it does that with the directions. but its cool i'll keep mine..
**Prince of the Zsnes board**
*Smash Champ*
whicker
Trooper

Re: analog stick or gamepad

Post by whicker »

qwerty wrote: maybe i should get a better controller but any of you have problems like this or your controller responds well?
There are way too many controllers on the marked with the sucky d-pads you speak of. I can go down the line at Circuit City, and every single pad for sale has a directional pad that's too easy to hit diagonals.

Does Nintendo have a patent on the "+" or something?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

whicker wrote:Does Nintendo have a patent on the "+" or something?
I wouldn't think so, since my Nyko AirFlo has a + D-Pad.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Logitech Rumblepad 2, their closest yet at cloning Sony's Dual Shock. Nicely shaped and rubberized analog sticks (with trigger buttons), no more throttle to confuse random software when it isn't centered, or by is mere existence. The only flaw is the position of the 9/10 (start/select) above the mode and rumble buttons. The four face buttons also have an odd order, but you should be able to configure that in most software. (And it's "EA Approved" so if you're using any of their shit, it should work.)

Oh yeah, and the d-pad / hat control is awesome. Basically, four independent hard buttons, with the pad pivoting over them, pressing one or two of them, and you can hear and feel when that happens. You can even press all four, but that leaves the buttons just out of reach of the contact. The pivot doesn't allow more than two to be pressed at once.

ImageImage

D-Pad action shot [320x240 @ 15fps - XviD/MP3 - 238KB]

Available for about $33, and you should be able to test it out if you walk into Best Buy. You may find the d-pad and the rumble support more interesting than the Airflow 80610, even if it doesn't blow the sweat off your hands. Also available in cordless form, if you prefer, and unlike the previous generation, the d-pad and analog sticks are identical between corded and cordless models. (Of course, this time around, they're both branded Rumblepad, whereas the previous models were WingMan Rumblepad and WingMan Cordless.)
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I've been meaning to buy this controller, just the lack of funding has stopped me. It will be mine soon though.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Already 3 plugs for that pad, kode54... do they still make gameport models ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I don't think so, no.

The USB was a definite plus for me, however. I no longer have a gameport, except for the motherboard's onboard stuff, and I lack a port/cable header to use it. I have no shortage of USB 2 ports, however. Four in the back, two in the front, and two disabled because I chose to connect the case's two front ports instead of using bundled four port header.

Even my previous system had two USB 1.1 ports, and when I started to run out, that was when I started to plug keyboard and/or mouse into PS/2 adapters for extra connectivity. Too bad those ports are so abused now, only one of them works. Maybe I should have thought of investing in a hub...
Tha_Pyngwyn

Post by Tha_Pyngwyn »

adventure_of_link wrote:
whicker wrote:Does Nintendo have a patent on the "+" or something?
I wouldn't think so, since my Nyko AirFlo has a + D-Pad.
I actually bought the Nyko AirFlo 1) Because of the equal size and spacing of the right thumb buttons and 2)Because of the + D-pad; the circle-shaped ones were ticking me off. But I haven't been able to get ZSNES to register any input through the D-pad, so I'm stuck using the left thumbstick. I did happen to come by a Gravis Gamepad Pro, though, (I've always wanted one; they're so simple in design, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside :D ) and I'll probably be using that for ZSNES instead.
zoink
Rookie

Post by zoink »

kode54 wrote:Logitech Rumblepad 2 ...
i bought it a while ago, and i must say, it's good.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Tha_Pyngwyn wrote:But I haven't been able to get ZSNES to register any input through the D-pad, so I'm stuck using the left thumbstick.
Does the Game Controllers app in the Control Panel detect when you press the D-pad ?

Otherwise, this is an odd issue, because my Nyko pad works in ZSnes just fine, in both my HP desktop and notebook, even while using a basic Windows driver (eg: when you plug in the controller and you don't insert the Nyko disk in your CD drive to install its own drivers. Come to think of it, I'm not sure where my nyko disk IS atm...)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Tha_Pyngwyn

Post by Tha_Pyngwyn »

Yes, the control panel detects usage of the D-pad, and I can use it in other games... it's only ZSNES that won't let me use it, even when I assign keyboard keys to the controller. And I think it's odd, too; I haven't done a forum search to see if anyone else has this problem yet.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Possibly a result of some of the game control input disabling/ignoring certain inputs either as a result of enum fields, or invalid input.

Slightly off topic, you could test this to see how its joystick support works, both in configuration and at play. Yah, I suppose that thing could use its own topic, but I wasn't really ready to do that yet. At least, I'd say it sort of takes a unique approach to input configuration, as far as emulators go I think.

I may even release the input portions later under some semi-loose license, although they are sort of specialized, they can probably be altered to fit more than two gamepads with more than four buttons each, per-button rapid fire, varying rapid fire rates, and a number of extra commands. It already allows binding the same command to multiple buttons, or any number of commands to the same button, and stores joypad configuration by instance GUID, which is unique to the specific gamepad, not which position it happens to appear in the Game Controllers control panel.

Topic for emulator coming soon, when I think it's ready for prime. ( And maybe when I've replaced the sound output with something more stable. I'm using Kernel Streaming so I get sample accurate frame timing. )
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Hmm, I have that exact same controller, the one by Game Elements, but I'd gladly toss it aside if I can get my hands on another logitech controller like the one above. Those kick so much ass.
Chronos

Post by Chronos »

if you have a playstation pad radioshack sells a usb adapter for them that costs about or around $12 ive been using one for a long time and it works quite nicly
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Chronos wrote:if you have a playstation pad radioshack sells a usb adapter for them that costs about or around $12 ive been using one for a long time and it works quite nicly
I have been having people tell me thats its actually a really nice adatper, I may have to break down and buy one instead of a crappy controller next time.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Don't. I had one of those adapters (It cost me $10, you lose 8)), I had it for four days, and Windows lost all detection of it. >.< I took it back to RS, and the guy at the sales counter said he got a bunch of these returns because of it.
NSRT here.
ron330

Post by ron330 »

hey all i have a microsoft sidewinder usb game pad and i can't seen to get it to work with the emulator. it works fine with all my regular games
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Make sure you read the docs that comes with ZSNES.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform