DSP-1 emulation

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

neviksti, do you think you might be able to find out anything about the SVP chip? If you can, there's a forum topic here about it.

(Some new information about the chip may have surfaced in the last couple days, as were not sure if it's really a Samsung SSP1601).

Possible Datasheet

Documents on the "possible" chip
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

King Of Chaos wrote:Now if somebody can dump the SVP chip for Virtua Racing (For the Sega Genesis) we'd have a better chance to emulate it.
Forgive the ignorant question but what do you mean by "dump the chip"? I always thought "dumping" was the process of extracting binary data from rom catridge/PCB/floppy/HD etc.
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

The SVP chip is basically "virtual reality". There's information on the chip that needs gathered before it can even be emulated. (It adds stuff like polygons to the Virtua Racing game).
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

King Of Chaos wrote:The SVP chip is basically "virtual reality". There's information on the chip that needs gathered before it can even be emulated. (It adds stuff like polygons to the Virtua Racing game).
I know about the SVP chip (played the Genesis VirtuaRacing back then) and I know it's not emulated.

I was just wondering how you dump a chip, as I've read things like "dumping a cpu" and wondered wahat is meant by that.
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Dmog wrote:
King Of Chaos wrote:The SVP chip is basically "virtual reality". There's information on the chip that needs gathered before it can even be emulated. (It adds stuff like polygons to the Virtua Racing game).
I know about the SVP chip (played the Genesis VirtuaRacing back then) and I know it's not emulated.

I was just wondering how you dump a chip, as I've read things like "dumping a cpu" and wondered wahat is meant by that.
Basically, somebody has to cut the top of the chip off, and try to read the bytes using a microscope.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

King Of Chaos wrote:Basically, somebody has to cut the top of the chip off, and try to read the bytes using a microscope.
What determines whether this is possible with a chip or not?
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Well, I think it can be done with almost any chip. Although a person might have to go through at least 10 chips to get any useful information.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Ah, I guess that explains why it hasn't been done for many emulators. No small task.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

You'd get more results faster if you RE'd the chip. The hardware required to RE is also less expensive.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54