SNES NTSC Composite Video Filter

Strictly for discussing ZSNES development and for submitting code. You can also join us on IRC at irc.libera.chat in #zsnes.
Please, no requests here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

JFD62780
Rookie

Post by JFD62780 »

Sith-Smasher wrote:...I informed SteveSnake (who writes Kega) and he's interested in it too...
Kega Fusion has this quickblur mode that made the faux-transparency effects work just fine; who needs NTSC? :P

Okay, if NTSC really must be in Kega, it's gonna have to be a completely vertical dot pattern, like the Atari 2600 and Apple ][ used back in the day...

I should know; I own a Genesis! ;)
Last edited by JFD62780 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Until next post...
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

JFD62780 wrote:
Sith-Smasher wrote:...I informed SteveSnake (who writes Kega) and he's interested in it too...
Kega Fusion has this quickblur mode that made the faux-transparency effects work just fine; who needs NTSC?
ME! That's who. :)

I hope somebody adds this to Snes9X too...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

you need the d3dx9_27.dll file installed in your windows system or windows system32 folder. (dependent on which version of windows you have)

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-f ... l?d3dx9_27
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

I allready have it (And the latest DirectX installed).
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

ZSNESW w/snes-ntsc filter.

http://zsnes.game-host.org/~pagefault/n.zip

Many thanks to blargg and byuu for their help.

Fullscreen mode is a bit buggy.

Hi-res support coming soon.
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

Okay, if NTSC really must be in there, it's gonna have to be a completely vertical dot pattern, like the Atari 2600 and Apple ][ used back in the day... I should know; I own a Genesis!
Me too, I always hated how crappy the Sega Genesis pixels looked (same for Master System, and even TI 99/4A was the same). But... that's not how the SNES looks. The above systems didn't vary the color burst phase from one scanline to the next, which is the cause of that vertical dot pattern. The SNES does (it shifts it by 120 degrees, 1/3 of the cycle), as does the NES. The screenshots here are correct and quite accurate.
Last edited by blargg on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
CheapAlert

Post by CheapAlert »

Last edited by CheapAlert on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nihao WHERE GET zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator)!
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Looks pretty close.. now if I can get Super Mario World to work on my SNES...

This should replace scanlines...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
byuu

Post by byuu »

pagefault wrote:ZSNESW w/snes-ntsc filter.
Fullscreen mode is a bit buggy.

Hi-res support coming soon.
Awesome work! And proper aspect ratio, too! :D

Have you considered adding pseudo-hires support to ZSNES? I'd love to see how Kirby's Dreamland 3 looks with this filter. Sadly, bsnes can't run the game due to no SA-1 support :(
I can't get the non-blended screenshot from Super Sleuth or SNES9x to just run the filter on it directly either, due to their faux pseudo-hires support.
If it will require a lot of work, it's probably not worth it since I only know of 2-4 games that use it...

If you need any info on how pseudo-hires works, let me know.
Kilo11

Post by Kilo11 »

nice, anything that makes ZSNES feel more like a real SNES is kickin'
[img]http://img1.yoxio.com/img/156433.gif[/img]
KingHanco
Hazed

ZSNESW w/snes-ntsc filter

Post by KingHanco »

Now you going have to cleanup all the blurry in the window or full screen.

Another thing is that the screen became a wide screen instead of sqaure screen. :oops:

The tv screen is about 4:3 and this is wrong on the ZSNES.

I'm rolling back to zsnesw-mov for a nice and clear 4:3 sqaure screen.
kode54
Zealot

Re: ZSNESW w/snes-ntsc filter

Post by kode54 »

KingHanco wrote:Now you going have to cleanup all the blurry in the window or full screen.

Another thing is that the screen became a wide screen instead of sqaure screen. :oops:

Who are you and what are you doing on my Internet?
KingHanco
Hazed

Re: ZSNESW w/snes-ntsc filter

Post by KingHanco »

kode54 wrote:
KingHanco wrote:Now you going have to cleanup all the blurry in the window or full screen.

Who are you and what are you doing on my Internet?
The point is the ZSNES like shaking jpg blurry screen over here. There also a green line at the top of it. It very unstabled here.

The left is correct. The right is wrong. Why change it when it already more stable and correct? pagefault, you probably can't fixs the blurry at all because the screatch too far out.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

IIRC there is an option to *not* to filter the gui. Look and ye will find it.

EDIT: Eating my own words. The filtered GUI setting has no effect. But on the other hand, it looks damn good. Keep up the good work.
KingHanco
Hazed

Re:

Post by KingHanco »

SquareHead wrote:IIRC there is an option to *not* to filter the gui. Look and ye will find it.

EDIT: Eating my own words. The filtered GUI setting has no effect. But on the other hand, it looks damn good. Keep up the good work.
Hmmm... It didn't do anything. Is it broking? What does it do anyway on the ZSNESW w/snes-ntsc filter version? Nothing happen when I uncheck the Filtered GUI.
JFD62780
Rookie

Post by JFD62780 »

blargg wrote:
Okay, if NTSC really must be in there, it's gonna have to be a completely vertical dot pattern, like the Atari 2600 and Apple ][ used back in the day... I should know; I own a Genesis!
Me too, I always hated how crappy the Sega Genesis pixels looked (same for Master System, and even TI 99/4A was the same). But... that's not how the SNES looks. The above systems didn't vary the color burst phase from one scanline to the next, which is the cause of that vertical dot pattern. The SNES does (it shifts it by 120 degrees, 1/3 of the cycle), as does the NES. The screenshots here are correct and quite accurate.
The quoted post before this was in response to the mentioned, supposed implementation of NTSC in Kega... I own an NES and Super NES as well, and have never turned off NTSC in NESTopia, and am also looking forward to it in any SNES emulator for novelty's sake, be it the Z or Byuu's masterpirece. :D

Speaking of which, I edited the earlier post for clarity's sake...
Until next post...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

the blurriness is if you read bsnes documentation a side effect if you dont set refresh rate to 60hz and triple buffer on. this i assume is the same for zsnes but its a bit hard to change refresh rate for full screen apps without a third party program.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
KingHanco
Hazed

Post by KingHanco »

franpa_9 wrote:the blurriness is if you read bsnes documentation a side effect if you dont set refresh rate to 60hz and triple buffer on. this i assume is the same for zsnes but its a bit hard to change refresh rate for full screen apps without a third party program.
I hate to break this up. I try everything and nothing will fixs it on zsnes. Besides there no triple buffer in the window mode. ZSNES starting to break. :(
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

You dont *have* to use that version. If you check the WIP thread in ZSNES Talk , ipher has reuploaded a true 2-27 WIP that does not do this. This is a special version for those who want ZSNES to look like it does on a TV.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

KingHanco wrote:
I hate to break this up. I try everything and nothing will fixs it on zsnes. Besides there no triple buffer in the window mode. ZSNES starting to break. :(
You can't do triple buffering in a window. Use vsync.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

pagefault wrote:Image
SNES Test Program halves (?) the height of the emulator window; in fullscreen mode it displays the first half only. I think that's because it's enabling overscan (239 lines).

EDIT: The intro of SD3 shows a white line at the top that doesn't vanish until you enter ZSNES' GUI.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

creaothceann wrote:EDIT: The intro of SD3 shows a white line at the top that doesn't vanish until you enter ZSNES' GUI.
pagefault wrote:Hi-res support coming soon.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

The intro is not in hi-res though.
SD3_intro_.jpg

EDIT: Added border.
Last edited by creaothceann on Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

SD3 intro isn't using any interlaced or hires mode, kode.
The first hires screen is the 'new game/continue' screen.

But I notice a flickering on line 1 when mode 7 is used in the intro that may be the cause of that.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Second failure of reading comprehension this morning, I was actually thinking of the title screen there.