Another "sound rape" bug in FF VI (in Thamasa)

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Andreas_N

Another "sound rape" bug in FF VI (in Thamasa)

Post by Andreas_N »

I think I've found one of those so-called "sound rape" bugs, it's the sound of the burning house in Thamasa after I arrive there with Tina (= Terra, I use the RPGOne V1.2 translation, but I also tried a japanese headerless ROM with good checksum, no diff.), Lock and Shadow, talk to Strago and sleep at the inn. I've tested with SnesGT, snes9x and SNEeSe, all sound different from zsnes at this point (and better). But this emulator is the only one I know with rewind feature, so I won't use another one. ;)

(The sound of Lock falling out of his bed before they leave the inn also seems a little muffled, compared to the other emulators, but maybe that's just my imagination, or it's supposed to sound that way ... well, it's not that important, but you can compare that too if you like to.)

I searched the forums for "Thamasa", but it found nothing, so I think it's a new one, not yet found, bug. I uploaded a SRM and ZST savestate at rapidshare, if you need any other files, please tell me.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Could you post your ROM info using NSRT?
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

If you can't demonstrate clearly that it is, in fact, a bug with ZSNES, and not just with your brain/memory, please go away.

Likewise, if you can't get a recording of how the SNES plays it, please go away.
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

Show some respect Aerdan. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have sdd-1(s-dd1, whatever) emulation.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Have you tried using BSNES? I have heard it has a better sound emulation core/thingy.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I recall the fire being a bit off in ZSNES...

pagefault has suggested to use SNEESE as the best sound reference (it does have a better sound core).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Andreas_N

Post by Andreas_N »

snkcube wrote: Could you post your ROM info using NSRT?
Well, the RPGOne translation has a bad checksum, of course, but here is the data for the japanese ROM, where it also happened.

---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
File: FINALF~1.SMC
Name: FINAL FANTASY 6 Company: Square
Header: None Bank: HiROM
Interleaved: No SRAM: 64 Kb
Type: Normal + Batt ROM: 24 Mb
ROM Speed: 120ns (FastROM) Revision: 1.0
Checksum: Good 0xA172 CRC32: 45EF5AC8
--------------------------Database--------------------------
Name: Final Fantasy VI
Port 1: Gamepad Port 2: Gamepad
Genre 1: RPG Genre 2: Turn Based
Aerdan wrote: If you can't demonstrate clearly that it is, in fact, a bug with ZSNES, and not just with your brain/memory, please go away.
Well, I'm quite sure that it's a bug with ZSNES. That's why I created the topic, mainly for the developers, to let them know what they could test if they want to fix something. I also noticed, they still intend to improve the sound, so I tried to help.
Of course I can't prove that it is a bug, but I don't have to. If you want a demonstration, I included a link to a savestate. You can listen to it if you're interested.

If you refer to the other thing I mentioned ... well, I already said it's not that important, but maybe it's still helpful for the developers to improve the sound quality. That's why I included it ... but I think I was wrong there. I just listened to SNEeSe once more, this time focusing on that falling sound, and it sounded just like in zsnes. So that was "a bug with my brain/memory", as you called it, but the burning sound is really wrong in zsnes.
Aerdan wrote: Likewise, if you can't get a recording of how the SNES plays it, please go away.
I compared it with several emulators which have good sound (SNEeSe for example, which seems to be best in that area), I think that's sufficient.

You know, you don't have to read/reply topics you don't like. You can go away, too. ;)
Starman Ghost wrote: Show some respect Aerdan. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have sdd-1(s-dd1, whatever) emulation.
Thanks, finally some kind words. I really didn't expect to be greeted with flames here :) but I don't really mind. It's just not very friendly.
Joe Camacho wrote: Have you tried using BSNES? I have heard it has a better sound emulation core/thingy.
No, I haven't tried that yet. Currently I sit at a P2-300, which means it would be pointless to try that emulator (it needs approx. 10x the processor power). However, I have also access to a newer computer (a P4), at another place, where I'll be next week. I can test it there, however I feel that's quite moot because:
Deathlike2 wrote: I recall the fire being a bit off in ZSNES...

pagefault has suggested to use SNEESE as the best sound reference (it does have a better sound core).
Thanks for confirming my suspicions :) Yes, I know he suggested SNEeSe ... I've read some posts here before posting. That's why I tried it, too. ;)
Last edited by Andreas_N on Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

Andreas_N wrote:
Starman Ghost wrote: Show some respect Aerdan. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have sdd-1(s-dd1, whatever) emulation.
Thanks, finally some kind words. I really didn't expect to be greeted with flames here :) but I don't really mind. It's just not very friendly.
Don't worry about it. It's pretty safe to ignore all posts by Aerdan. He has one of the biggest sticks up his ass.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

SNEESE and BSNES deliver the correct sound... ZSNES is off (I still don't know how to describe how it's off).. like the pitch or something is somehow off... and although this comes from memory.. I do own the damn game (FF3) and played it a lot back in the day...

After looking through the BSNES code for SDD-1.. I finally understood the comments... Thanks for figuring out that chip.. the only game that comes to mind is Street Fighter Alpha 2 and that brought back a few memories.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Andreas_N

Post by Andreas_N »

Starman Ghost wrote:Show some respect Aerdan. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have sdd-1(s-dd1, whatever) emulation.
Oh, I just realized ... you're mistaking me for Andreas Naive. Well, sorry for that, it wasn't my intention to let the people here believe I was him, it's just the nick I used in IRC for all that time, and I didn't realize there was actually someone with the same name and initials who worked on SNES emulation stuff. After reading the thread again I realized you actually thought it was me who contributed to S-DD1 emulation, so I looked it up and found out that it was him who did the S-DD1 research, well ... sorry again. I really should have added a sig to my posts with at least my full name.
Andreas Normann
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

What are thhe odds of that. Regardless, He does have a big stick up his ass and needs to cool it.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Oh, I just realized ... you're mistaking me for Andreas Naive. Well, sorry for that, it wasn't my intention to let the people here believe I was him, it's just the nick I used in IRC for all that time, and I didn't realize there was actually someone with the same name and initials who worked on SNES emulation stuff. After reading the thread again I realized you actually thought it was me who contributed to S-DD1 emulation, so I looked it up and found out that it was him who did the S-DD1 research, well ... sorry again. I really should have added a sig to my posts with at least my full name.
Oh man.. :lol: :twisted:
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Starman Ghost wrote:What are thhe odds of that. Regardless, He does have a big stick up his ass and needs to cool it.
More like he needs to pull it out of his ass, period.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

adventure_of_link wrote:
Starman Ghost wrote:What are thhe odds of that. Regardless, He does have a big stick up his ass and needs to cool it.
HA!
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Yeah, but that would require divorce court. And you know how expensive that could be.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Yeah, even I couldn't afford that...
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Andreas_N

Post by Andreas_N »

Starman Ghost wrote:What are thhe odds of that.
I hope you don't think I did this intentionally, although it may seem so. If you don't believe me, I understand that, but please forgive me.
Starman Ghost wrote:Regardless, He does have a big stick up his ass and needs to cool it.
Well, he seems to be not very popular here, that's for sure ... but enough of that.

To get back on topic, is that really one of those "sound rape" bugs I've read about in other topics, or something different? I used the term because it seemed fitting, but maybe I'm wrong there.
Andreas Normann
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

herzog wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:
HA!
I would do it for free, you just need to travel to Mx. :wink:
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Sith
Lurker

Post by Sith »

:lol: :lol:
[url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com/]Zsnes WIP[/url]
[url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/?page=bsnes]Bsnes[/url] by Byuu
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion[/url] by SteveSnake
[url=http://www.viceteam.org/]Vice[/url] by Viceteam
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Deathlike2 wrote:SNEESE and BSNES deliver the correct sound... ZSNES is off (I still don't know how to describe how it's off).. like the pitch or something is somehow off... and although this comes from memory.. I do own the damn game (FF3) and played it a lot back in the day...

After looking through the BSNES code for SDD-1.. I finally understood the comments... Thanks for figuring out that chip.. the only game that comes to mind is Street Fighter Alpha 2 and that brought back a few memories.
What evidence do you have to base your opinion on this.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

pagefault wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:SNEESE and BSNES deliver the correct sound... ZSNES is off (I still don't know how to describe how it's off).. like the pitch or something is somehow off... and although this comes from memory.. I do own the damn game (FF3) and played it a lot back in the day...

I own the game and played it a lot. I'll see what I can do about recording the sound off the real thing.. but it will be in mono (lost those stereo cables long ago). Obviously what I have to say has "no evidence" so I'll get the evidence myself if the console due to dust/rust/age doesn't slows this fact finder mission.
byuu

Post by byuu »

You ask as if anyone ever has any ... :/
Need to get a new sticky topic for sound problems and post some schematics to rip digital sound from the SNES and require comparison files to be posted to acknowledge bugs.

Speaking of which, anyone have info on how to capture output from the DSP before it reaches the DAC? It would be extremely beneficial if us devs could get a couple systems with this ability. I've yet to even find a pinout of the DSP.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

byuu wrote:
Need to get a new sticky topic for sound problems and post some schematics to rip digital sound from the SNES and require comparison files to be posted to acknowledge bugs.
Personally.. I've asked this question before, but didn't get quite the asnwer I was looking for. I was hoping to use a real SNES (and original game), TV, and use a microphone that is connected to a computer using Sound Recorder (if there's a better solution that doesn't require destroying an SNES, I'll see what I can do)
byuu

Post by byuu »

http://alpha-ii.com/Info/snes-spdif.html

There we go. Heh, I might just try this. I can spare a $3 SNES or two :D
Reznor007
Lurker

Post by Reznor007 »

byuu wrote:

Speaking of which, anyone have info on how to capture output from the DSP before it reaches the DAC? It would be extremely beneficial if us devs could get a couple systems with this ability. I've yet to even find a pinout of the DSP.
Well, Antiresonance has some info on his site. Here's a link to his page of how to get SPDIF from a SNES(directly off the DSP).