Possible to use button combo to exit ZSNES?

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

WildCard99

Possible to use button combo to exit ZSNES?

Post by WildCard99 »

Okay, so I'm using ZSNES through MythTV to play whole loads of good games, however, as the computer's hooked up to my TV, it's a bit impractical to break out the keyboard to exit out the game.

Now I know you can assign a key to exit the program (under Misc -> Game Keys), but I'm a klutz and will accidently click that whatever button I choose at the worst possible time.

So, is it posisble to assign that button to a key combination? Kinda like L + R + Start to exit out the game. I've got MAME set up the same way, and it's pretty kick-ass.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I'dsay no, but then again I might be wrong since I don't use such features.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

This is possible to be done in DirectInput which is what the Windows port uses. I would assume SDL(for Linux and other ports) can do this as well, but I don't have personal experience with that. Whether or not the developers will do it, I can't answer.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

What combo would be best without interfering with games?
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

I like those that are featured in some GC games. Some are L+R+Start+X or something like that.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Joe Camacho wrote:I like those that are featured in some GC games. Some are L+R+Start+X or something like that.
Let's put a global soft-reset button combination into teh ZSNES. :wink:
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Agozer wrote:
Joe Camacho wrote:I like those that are featured in some GC games. Some are L+R+Start+X or something like that.
Let's put a global soft-reset button combination into teh ZSNES. :wink:
There will be the need of adding a disclaimer that it will only work on some keyboards and on gamepads.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
invictius
Rookie

Post by invictius »

How far are you from the TV? You could get a ps2/usb extension cable and cheapy keyboard, and do things that way...
Thooperman

Post by Thooperman »

I currently use Total Game Control at http://digitaltransforms.com

It's not free, but I feel it is worth the investment for the ease of use with Media Centers etc. I have it set up with individual buttons, and you can also assign combos to do something else. Some that I use are:
L+R+Select = End (which I set to exit program)
Start+Select+X = Select save state +
Start+Select+Y = Select save state -
Start+Select+B = Save State
Start+Select+A = Load State

I use an official SNES controller with an adapter, so I use all the buttons when playing. This method gives me more buttons to work with without interrupting my gameplay. I used to use my remote control with HIP and SimKey to Select/Load/Save states, but it is great to be lazy and not have to reach for a remote. :D

If you don't want to pay for this software, there is another program you can use called JoytoKey.

http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/Jo ... ersion.htm

You can't do the combos mentioned above, but you can assign buttons in a similar way. Before I found Total Game Control, I used the Following:

Map L button to Alt
Map Select button to F4.

If you push them at the same time it will close ZSNES.

I hope this helps someone in the future.