Netplay freezes

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Villa

Netplay freezes

Post by Villa »

Hi, I was trying to play using Netplay with my brother over lan, and we can both connect up to each other just fine. It's just when he starts the game both of our ZSNES' freeze.

Could someone help? Thanks. =)
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

If you're trying to netplay with version zsnes 1.36, then you should expect it to freeze sometimes. You should also wait awhile for it to unfreeze and start the game. If you both play on 1.42 however it should immediately let you start the game together.
Villa

Post by Villa »

Hi there thanks! Also, how do we use netplay? Do we both start the game together (eg. Both start secret of mana) and then open netplay and connect?

Or do we connect first, and then one of us starts the game? If so, how do we both play then?

Many thanks. =)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Connect, then start the game.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
roarfan

Post by roarfan »

I'm getting similar freezes with 1.36 but the game never loads. My mate and I are able to load many games and play them together because we get a perfection connection and everything is fine. But it's just some games don't want to work. Currently the one's which don't work are these:

- Ken Griffey's Winning Run
- NBA Live '98
- NHL '98
- Super Mario Allstars
- Super Mario Kart (This is a big one. The main game we wish to play)

Basically we get to the chat thing and it's fine and we load a game and most games load fine. But if we load one of those (I normally host) I click it and it freezes for a bit, then the game menu opens (i.e the GUI Game Menu of ZSNES) then it becoems completely frozen.

Any feedback would be great. As I said this is with Z1.36. We tried 1.42 and 1.42n but it became out of sync (like, if I scored a goal it might register as being tackled on my mates game so we'd be playing different games really). I'm sure it's something that can be fixed because the .txt document clearly outlines Super Mario Kart as one of the games able to be played.
Poobah
Lurker

Post by Poobah »

I've never seen netplay work since 1.36. How's the new netplay code going?
roarfan

Post by roarfan »

roarfan wrote:I'm getting similar freezes with 1.36 but the game never loads. My mate and I are able to load many games and play them together because we get a perfection connection and everything is fine. But it's just some games don't want to work. Currently the one's which don't work are these:

- Ken Griffey's Winning Run
- NBA Live '98
- NHL '98
- Super Mario Allstars
- Super Mario Kart (This is a big one. The main game we wish to play)

Basically we get to the chat thing and it's fine and we load a game and most games load fine. But if we load one of those (I normally host) I click it and it freezes for a bit, then the game menu opens (i.e the GUI Game Menu of ZSNES) then it becoems completely frozen.

Any feedback would be great. As I said this is with Z1.36. We tried 1.42 and 1.42n but it became out of sync (like, if I scored a goal it might register as being tackled on my mates game so we'd be playing different games really). I'm sure it's something that can be fixed because the .txt document clearly outlines Super Mario Kart as one of the games able to be played.
*bump*
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

For the record, the netplay code is removed/disabled at the moment and when certain things are resolved.. netplay will be readded in. Certain issues are critical to the netplay component (which are the source of the desync).. so for now, there is nothing much that can be done about netplay except using the ZSNES version that works best for the game.

roarfan, please don't bump your post since nothing new has changed for netplay... and not for a while anyways.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
roarfan

Post by roarfan »

Deathlike2 wrote:For the record, the netplay code is removed/disabled at the moment and when certain things are resolved.. netplay will be readded in. Certain issues are critical to the netplay component (which are the source of the desync).. so for now, there is nothing much that can be done about netplay except using the ZSNES version that works best for the game.

roarfan, please don't bump your post since nothing new has changed for netplay... and not for a while anyways.
Okay mate. Sorry about that.

Just wondering though because heaps of games work fine and Mario Karts should be one of them, but isn't. Just from reading posts here people are able to run Mario Karts fine, yet other games work for me but MK doesn't.