Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Mark57Raider
Regular

Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana

Post by Mark57Raider »

http://www.rpgamer.com/event/e3-2006/im ... ana03.html

After playing Sword of Mana, Secret of Mana and Legend of Mana I'm really hyped about Children of Mana that is coming up in October. All the mana elements will be there (of course) and a new combat system that arises from you wielding 2 different weapons at the same time. One that is used with "x" and the other with "a". This time around you'll be able to blast enemies with mana summons using the "b" button. It really looks like a cool title.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

I was very interested, until I heard it was going to be some sort of action game with a single village serving as a hub to the various levels, instead of a real world to walk around in like SoM and SD3. Is there any truth to this? If so, then blah.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

If it's anything like Legend of Mana I'm interested. Man, I have to start playing LoM again.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Agozer wrote:If it's anything like Legend of Mana I'm interested. Man, I have to start playing LoM again.
I've never seen a game so hated when it came out, so well liked so many years later. I share your sentiments however.
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

blackmyst wrote:I was very interested, until I heard it was going to be some sort of action game with a single village serving as a hub to the various levels, instead of a real world to walk around in like SoM and SD3. Is there any truth to this? If so, then blah.
I guess that kinda sucks, but I haven't actually found any info on whether or not you would automatically go to your home village after each level. I'll try to look up some sources and see if i can find more info on it.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Well regardless of whether or not you would be automatically returned to it, if it was just the one village with the dungeons, then it would still suck. No overworld with different towns and locations = no buy for me until it hits the bargain bin.
VietBitter
Rookie

Post by VietBitter »

Legend of mana was pretty bad compared to all the other mana games, i don't know why u guys like it. Im anticipating Children of mana though.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

VietBitter wrote:Legend of mana was pretty bad compared to all the other mana games, i don't know why u guys like it. Im anticipating Children of mana though.
I dont see how it was bad. Just different.

For some reason though, games like LoM and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, baffle me. I must be like the rest of the sheep and be led by the nose through my adventures.

I love the Mana games, and sadly the only ones I have actualy completed were Final Fantasy Adventure, and its remake Sword of Mana.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Secret of Mana was one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences. Until I lost my saves, that is. I have been looking forward to Children of Mana for some time now. I'd love to get lost in an RPG again.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

HERZOG wrote:Secret of Mana was one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences. Until I lost my saves, that is. I have been looking forward to Children of Mana for some time now. I'd love to get lost in an RPG again.
Well that's the thing - I'm afraid there might not be much RPG to it to get lost in.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I liked LoM, even with the 'go back home to hump your cactus after every mission completed' stuff. Lack of "connected world" didn't hurt much, really.
Although I agree on it being very different from other mana games (no MPs, no magic healing -hence no battle tactics at all- but geeze so many awesome super techniques, and of course the pet/golem/forge stuff).

<-- proud SD* fanboi
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

I don't even know why I like Legend of Mana, if it because of the huge amount of techniques or the music but I played it several times and it was considered by me and friends a "Boredom Killer". IMO It is what Saga Frontier should be! althouth for some reason it have a little of Saga Frontier sasoning on it. I also liked most sub stories expecially the Yumi ones. I am looking foward to Children of Mana and the Siken Densetsu that will come for the PS2. I hope that the monsters explode bones,feathers and limbs when killed just like the other ones.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

blackmyst wrote:
HERZOG wrote:Secret of Mana was one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences. Until I lost my saves, that is. I have been looking forward to Children of Mana for some time now. I'd love to get lost in an RPG again.
Well that's the thing - I'm afraid there might not be much RPG to it to get lost in.
This is my fear as well. I've heard that it is greatly similar to Shining Soul, and Shining Soul was total ass.
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
Thebullfrog
Rookie

Post by Thebullfrog »

Yeah, from what I've read it sounds to me like the game is going to play more like Champions of Norrath than Secret of Mana.
Vault Dweller
Lurker

Post by Vault Dweller »

Louis Cypher wrote:
blackmyst wrote:
This is my fear as well. I've heard that it is greatly similar to Shining Soul, and Shining Soul was total ass.
The second Shining Soul had decent multiplayer, and a vilaness that had the same name as my 8th grade Social Studies teacher.
[quote="Magus'"]You are officially the first black wigger I've ever met.[/quote]
Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

Post by Magus` »

People who have played say it's basically a dungeon hack and not a very good one at that.

It is *not* a Mana game, it just has the title of one.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Magus` wrote:People who have played say it's basically a dungeon hack and not a very good one at that.

It is *not* a Mana game, it just has the title of one.
Just another case of Square cash cow milking. They are releasing a mediocre game under a big name that isn't one of the main games in the series.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

I just picked this up. I rather enjoy it, though with work and all I have yet to sit and play it for more than 5 minutes. It don't seem that terrible to me, but then again I have some strange tastes when it comes to games.
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

COM is so different than the rest and sounds like it would be a really bad game untill you've played it. It's absolutly fantastic in everyway though very different from the others. Its changed over to a mission based system which just fits in so much better since its a portable game now. The graphics are that of sheer quality and the fmv's in the game are very nice too. The music is top notch and the dialog is great. To not like this game on the pure fact that it uses a picture map system instead of moving would be retarded.