in-game menu cursor not moving

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

hagabaka

in-game menu cursor not moving

Post by hagabaka »

In a few games, when I change the selection in a menu (in the game, such as "Start game", not ZSNES's UI), the cursor isn't moved to the new position. Sound effect and further game behavior suggest that the input is registered, and the cursor does move when another event causes the video to update, such as when the ZSNES on-screen clock ticks, or when I call up the GUI.

This happens consistently for me in the following games at the listed menu screens:
Final Fantasy 5 (C1BC267D) - "Item / Magic / Equip ..."
Ogre Battle (ACFDB7B8) - Tarot Card menu in battle map
Tactics Ogre (DAF285A5) - "Before Playing / Start Game"
Wizardry V (D8FDDD76) - "Start game / Select switch"
('m using Japanese version of some of the games, so I'm not sure of the exact menu strings)

I've checked the roms, and as stated below, the problem doesn't happen in older versions of ZSNES, and some settings, so I don't think it's a problem with the games or roms.

This problem does not happen if I use an OpenGL video mode. I haven't found another way to adjust the settings to avoid the problem.

I have this problem in the SVN checked out on 2009-09-22. I tested a few WIPs on ipherswipsite.com, and found that versions since 2005-07-24 have the problem, and versions until 2005-07-10 do not. (I tested 9 WIPs in 2005 and 2006, the current SVN, and the 1.42 release). I use ZSNES SDL port on Slackware Linux. The processor is AMD Athlon 900MHz, and memory 256MB.