It's that time of the year again... P2P programs.

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

It's that time of the year again... P2P programs.

Post by Joe Camacho »

So, Ares, Limewire and Morpheus just don't cut it anymore. Fellow P2Pers, What programs still work, and if the said programs work for you..

How the hell do you have them configured? Thanks !
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

emule... if you have a router just forward the ports listed in the help file... its pretty much edonkey2000 without the ads.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

franpa wrote:emule... if you have a router just forward the ports listed in the help file... its pretty much edonkey2000 without the ads.
That's not a good solution if you want the popular stuff. That network is only good for hard-to-find stuff.

Torrents are the way to go these days.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Bit Che and Azureus work incredibly well. Bit Che searches a bunch of popular Bittorrent sites and Azureus is probably the most fully featured Bittorrent client around. uTorrent is also supposed to be good because it uses very little memory. You do need to forward some ports for any BT client to perform well, though.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

AntoineWG wrote:Bit Che and Azureus work incredibly well. Bit Che searches a bunch of popular Bittorrent sites and Azureus is probably the most fully featured Bittorrent client around. uTorrent is also supposed to be good because it uses very little memory. You do need to forward some ports for any BT client to perform well, though.
Last time I used Azureus, it didn't have a built in search future.. But, would they let me download individual files? For example, mp3s?
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

BitTorrent and DC++. those are the ones I use.

Also, uTorrent is teh sex.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
byuu

Post by byuu »

uTorrent lets you select individual files from a torrent to download. But if the torrent maker stuck every file inside a ZIP, you're out of luck.

Get uTorrent. Stay the hell away from the official BitTorrent client, it has virtually no features, is buggy as hell, and constantly forces you to update it.
juef
Rookie

Post by juef »

byuu wrote:Get uTorrent.
Do that. µTorrent is dozens of times lighter than most BT clients, it's simple to use, and it works really well.
Oskar_Hanberg
Starzinger Addict

Post by Oskar_Hanberg »

Bitcomet. But use 0.70.. because the other versions experience random fuckups.

Also.. dc++ might work. But I don't use it much these days because various idiots mess up the hubs with pr0n and virazes.
"All kinds of private exploitation is theft in the sense that what exists in this world belongs to all of us, and so called 'Intellectual property', or software, is no exception to that"
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Oskar_Hanberg wrote:Bitcomet. But use 0.70.. because the other versions experience random fuckups.

Also.. dc++ might work. But I don't use it much these days because various idiots mess up the hubs with pr0n and virazes.
Bitlord and Bitcomet are blocked by a lot of trackers. DC++ was more trouble than it was worth the last time I tried it.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

I personally use BitComet (Windows) and Azureus (Linux) for my torrenting needs.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Demios
"Flametongue"

Post by Demios »

Az also lets you select the files you want to download. Full of all the best features, just a memory hog, but how many of you are really using all that memory to it's fullest? I don't remember ever maxing out my 4 gigs or even going over two gigs ever.
[img]http://demios.whattheboat.com/userbar/random.jpeg[/img]
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

BF2 gets up there.

I use utorrent, and it lets me select files too.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

µTorrent if you need individual files (is able)

BitTornado is great

FrostWire is alright (but requires Sun Java , in case some hate Sun Java)
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

bitcomet and emule is what i use.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

I keep switching between utorrent, kceasy and emule.
_-|-_
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

Another Bittorrent Client is what the official client should be: easy, small and nice. It can take about 40 meg of ram, though, which is about a third of Azureus (Java ftl).

But, damn, the official one sucks.

Best P2P system by far, is WTB.

fo real.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Just tried uTorrent. Goddamn its hard to believe how small it is and how well it works.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

kevman wrote: Best P2P system by far, is WTB.

fo real.
Oh yes.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

ReRuss wrote:µTorrent if you need individual files (is able)
BitComet does this, and also allegedly reports itself as a full seed to the tracker when it completes downloading the selected set of files. I only have hearsay from a few user accounts on a closed torrent site that recently banned it, and no objective tests to prove whether or not it does it. (Oh wow, so the server's torrent stats report a complete download that wasn't actually complete, which isn't so bad. Now, if it also reported this person as a seed in stats, or in scrapes by other clients, causing real seeds to leave... Moo.)

Still BitTorrent. And occasionally eMule for really old stuff. (PS. If you're feeling sneaky, you can configure your eMule client to use a different pair of ports for TCP and UDP communication, and you think your ISP is filtering P2P crap but isn't smart enough to use packet matching algorithms instead of throttling specific ports.)

And then there's this DC hub that some friends run that's always full of lots of stuff that I'm never overly eager to download, and sometimes I feel remotely guilty because I don't share anything. I don't use this or any other hubs with any regularity.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Soulseek, or Nicotine if you're in linuxland.
alexz721
Regular

Post by alexz721 »

utorrent for torrenting, eMule, DC++ when on campus, and occasional other sources.
HOW ARE YOU MERRY GENTLEMEN
lockharte
Regular

Post by lockharte »

surprised no one has mentioned ares galaxy
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

lockharte wrote:surprised no one has mentioned ares galaxy
Original Poster wrote:So, Ares, Limewire and Morpheus just don't cut it anymore.
~Bent
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

I just thought I'll add this here: I just tried Azureus 3 beta - what a shitheap. I am using uTorrent from now on.