Satellite Internet (High Pings Please Read)

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

rew89

Satellite Internet (High Pings Please Read)

Post by rew89 »

I'm wondering If I can play online. I have tried and I can connect to a friend but there is a whole lot of lagg then it eventually disconnects. I can play perfectly through my LAN which is no surprise. I am just wondering if there is anything I can do? My latency is usually around 1400ms :-/. WildBlue had a firmware change in November of this past year and that doubled everyone's latency. Is there anything I can do about this? I really wish I could get DSL or an alternative. I used to play other online games on dial up.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

There really isn't anything you can do to improve your ping times on satellite internet service short of increasing the speed of light.

Check www.dslreports.com and see if there are any wireless ISP's in your area. I used to use one in northern Illinois and I had no complaints until the tower I was on became a little overcrowded, but by then Comcast became avaiable.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

Thank you, I now have a good reason not to buy satellite internet, your information has helped me out alot. Much Appreciated! Since some time spent is with good netplay on dial-up. 1,400 ping on satellite! Oh man, that must really bite!