ZSNES mentioned in PC magazine.

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

SquareHead
Veteran

ZSNES mentioned in PC magazine.

Post by SquareHead »

I was just flipping through the latest issue of PC mag that came in my mailbox this week, and came across an article mentioning the best free software of 2007. (Its the Feb 20, 2007 cover story)
article snippet wrote:The ZSNES open-source Super Nintendo emulator, available for Microsoft Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, and DOS, beats other emulators with its superior compatibility, stability, graphics, audio, and usability. The best feature: two-player gaming over the Net. ZSNES can use hardware-accelerated graphics cards, so some games actually look better than they did on the original console. -MDS
Take it as you will. I like that ZSNES gets a little publicity, but the least they could do is read the documentation, or research their accuracy a tad more. This may explain a few stupid threads that have been cropping up lately.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

They must be using like v1.36 or something.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
lockharte
Regular

Post by lockharte »

im surprised they lauded the sound. surely they haven't played bsnes?
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

lockharte wrote:im surprised they lauded the sound. surely they haven't played bsnes?
Most likely not. Something tells me they found their way through sourceforge, and haven't checked the forums.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

something tells me bsnes just isn't as popular. for our typical "mainstream" user, it will either be zsnes or snes9x. my choice is obviously zsnes. and the last time i checked, which was a very long ago, zsnes sounded way better.

how has snes9x been coming along?
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Good question. I havent updated in a long ass time. JUst to the version that works with the movies at speed demos archive.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

But does bSNES use 3D accelerators that make the games look better?!?!?!?!?!?!
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

ZSNES don't. (Edit: Ahem, I mean I don't think ZSNES does.) Didnt an earlier version of SNES9x (I mean way earlier), use glide for hardwae filtering?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

SquareHead wrote:ZSNES don't. (Edit: Ahem, I mean I don't think ZSNES does.) Didnt an earlier version of SNES9x (I mean way earlier), use glide for hardwae filtering?
Yes, but the Glide code has been removed a while back (apparently that code was atrocious from what I was told, on the other hand, Glide is dead, so meh). When Snes9x 1.51 ever gets out, it will have that option for DirectDraw. The OpenGL mode is still there, but completely unsupported though.... I only speak of the Windows port though...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Pretty much all the points the mag makes are highly contestable - Snes9x is more than a match for ZSNES in those areas apart from netplay (ironically, netplay is disabled in both emulators right now). Snes9x 1.5 definitely has excellent sound.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

SquareHead wrote:ZSNES don't. (Edit: Ahem, I mean I don't think ZSNES does.) Didnt an earlier version of SNES9x (I mean way earlier), use glide for hardwae filtering?
It did back when the Voodoo3 was awesome. This was definitely a big deal, and made me switch for a while.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

SquareHead wrote:ZSNES don't. (Edit: Ahem, I mean I don't think ZSNES does.)
Did I forget my sarcasm tags again?
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
SquareHead wrote:ZSNES don't. (Edit: Ahem, I mean I don't think ZSNES does.)
Did I forget my sarcasm tags again?
My sarcasm meter is broken anyways.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Take it as you will. I like that ZSNES gets a little publicity, but the least they could do is read the documentation, or research their accuracy a tad more. This may explain a few stupid threads that have been cropping up lately.
Well, at least they spelled Zsnes correctly.
Aside from a few hardcore players, most will expect the program to just work right out of the box, without reading any documentation. Hell, some people are actually suprised when they learned that the games are not included with the program.

Gil_Hamilton wrote:But does bSNES use 3D accelerators that make the games look better?!?!?!?!?!?!
SquareHead wrote:ZSNES don't.
b Nes Does What ZSNES (FYI, I am really really dumb) Don't.

Seriously, much as I love bsnes I wouldn't expect it to have the same level of notoriety as Zsnes for a long time,

Edit: The wrong spelling filter also work for b (s) nes apparantly lol Yay for fraternity between emulators.
Last edited by Snark on Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Bah, that publicity is a few years late. ZSNES is hands down the most complete emulator I've ever seen or heard of, and I doubt there will be anything close to it for years to come (except for perhaps bSNES which I have high hopes for). Yet these dipshits decide to randomly say something extremely generic about it YEARS after it has reached near-perfection? Up theirs.