Designating frameskip over 9?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

marska

Designating frameskip over 9?

Post by marska »

Hello,

Is there a way to increase the default frame skip over 9 frames, or just add a custom value?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

why would you want to?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
smkdan
Hazed

Post by smkdan »

Not by the looks of it. Adding values over 9 in the config file won't let you exceed the maximum.
why would you want to?
I'm curious myself...
atatassault

Post by atatassault »

Perhaps the poster has a computer that cant quite handle ZSNES?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

No answer the original question, no there is not. I'm quite interested to know why the OP wants higher values.

I'm not sure if Nach and co. are willing to up the max frameskip value or implement a custom frameskip option, since *excessive* frameskipping does more harm than good. Automatic frameskipping should be sufficient for most systems.

ZSNES has significantly higher system requirements than in the past and it simply won't run games smoothly on a low-end system, unless you disable and/or lower some emulation options.
Last edited by Agozer on Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Having high frameskips == Powerpoint slideshow.

With that said if you are requesting this for performance reasons, you should be disabling many many things, including sound, filters, and pretty much anything extra.

If you wanted a slideshow-like option, in the F1 menu, there is an option to advance a frame for use in an animated gif.. assuming that is what you want.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
marska

Post by marska »

Not performance related.

In many games (RPG's), advancement (leveling) is a matter of time vs. effort. I routinely play with the frameskip key pressed down, as it speeds this process. A higher frameskip would allow me to completely bypass this aspect of most video games.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

You could just use auto-frame skip and set the max auto-frame skip to 9. Also, you could use the FF toggle feature as well... and if you really want to, you can just increase the emu speed too.

All of this configurable in Config->Speed.

You can also tweak execution speed in the cfg file as well.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

SNES9x can do 600. You could transfer saves via SRM file.

I think you can toggle a checkbox so that pressing the turbo key will put the emulator into frameskip=max mode, and another press will turn it off.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
byuu

Post by byuu »

I would've liked a DS emulator when playing FF3 NDS, where you could program a macro to basically do "left, left, wait ... right, right, wait ... down, A, wait ..." and loop until you stop the macro. The same could apply to any RPG, and essentially make levelling completely automated. I had to spend four hours levelling one character to lv99 in that game to check out the Onion Knight class.

Hmm, I'll look into this more when I have time. In the mean time, perhaps you can find a macro tool like this for Windows to do this for you in ZSNES?
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

You could do it with AutoIt pretty easily. Can even scrape the screen for certain pixels or whatever.