Standard Windows GUI In The Future?

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

TheCloudOfSmoke wrote:I understand that, it's not that I only have one rom folder. I have multiple folders and you have to "take the long way" when switching to different folders to play different games. I have games on CDs and multiple rom folders located on different parts of my hard drive. So it's not like I stay in one folder. It's not an issue where it always starts from the C: drive. It stays at the last used rom folder. I meant that the drop down list in the "Open File" with a Windows GUI could make going to different folders as easy as clicking once. Like I said, fuck it. Damn, you guys already made your point. I get it. It ain't going to happen.
the multiple folders is your fault for not being organized. while the file navigation in zsnes may not be the swiftest, it can be much faster if you organize your junk.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

in the right coloum at the top should be

Code: Select all

double clicking this will take you up one level.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
TheCloudOfSmoke
Rookie

Post by TheCloudOfSmoke »

All of the stuff that you all are suggesting is stuff that I've know for years. I am very aware of all of the features and options of the emulator. It's not like I've just tried it yesterday.

I guess I should have asked for the opinions of people who are not biased to the GUI (meaning people not long time frequent users of the program for years).
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Today's Hint:
If you know where you want to go, you can type the path into the input box below the file and directory listings. For example, enter in there d:\ and see what happens.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Nach wrote:Today's Hint:
If you know where you want to go, you can type the path into the input box below the file and directory listings. For example, enter in there d:\ and see what happens.
Blasphemy! :wink:
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

Not only there's a prompt at the bottom, but you can also go from the file select side to the folder select side without pressing TAB. And the emulator records your last used folder(unless you tell it not to).

It's understandable if you have some roms in your HD(the ones you play frequently) and others in CD, but why the hell would one put multiple .smc folders in the same HD?
TheCloudOfSmoke
Rookie

Some are being currently being sorted with GoodSNES so I don't want to mix them in the good roms folder just yet. Some are new roms that haven't even been checked and some are hacked and different region roms. It can get quite messy if all of those roms end up in one folder on my HD. Realisticly, I know other people do the same. I like to test them in different emulators first before I put them in one folder too. I like to keep everything separated for the time being until everything is finally situated, then they make it on the CD.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Let 'em be sorted by NSRT.

Example for a (quick'n'dirty) *.bat file:

@echo off
nsrt -deldup -rename -renext -lowext -saveren -sort recog -fix -deint -remhead -safetrim -noext -savetype zip *.zip
pause
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

I know this is a little late to bring this up, but if say a windows GUI were implemented, then would the code have to fork to keep the dos version in development?

Anyway my 2 cents, I like the current GUI. I think the fact that the gui is the same across all the ports (+- an option here or there), make documentation and support questions less of a bitch.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

SquareHead wrote:I know this is a little late to bring this up, but if say a windows GUI were implemented, then would the code have to fork to keep the dos version in development?
If a classic windows gui is made, then it won't work anywhere else but winders (duh), like good ol' snes9x. That is obviously retarded.
The only 'standard windows GUI' we consider at the moment is Qt. And yes, that means DOS won't have a GUI. Oh lookie there, more effort for less results, obviously this is the way to go.
*cough*
Of course if we decide to drop DOS we'll get rid of a lot of similar limitations.
Or make the dos port cl-only. Whatever.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

the fact that the team still supports the dos port astounds me.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

grinvader wrote:Or make the dos port cl-only. Whatever.
DOS users should be treated like shell users. :P No one will care if you drop DOS support apart from people with old ass, piece of shit computers.
byuu

Post by byuu »

grinvader wrote:If a classic windows gui is made, then it won't work anywhere else but winders (duh), like good ol' snes9x.
YUU AA RONG!

Make a wrapper, can work on any platform and look native. Just have to `least common denominator' the GUI featureset. Not too bad of a tradeoff, really.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

byuu wrote:
grinvader wrote:If a classic windows gui is made, then it won't work anywhere else but winders (duh), like good ol' snes9x.
YUU AA RONG!

Make a wrapper, can work on any platform and look native. Just have to `least common denominator' the GUI featureset. Not too bad of a tradeoff, really.
Mmm, let's wrap our file browser code to the GTK file dialog box... :twisted:
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
byuu

Post by byuu »

Deathlike2 wrote:Mmm, let's wrap our file browser code to the GTK file dialog box... :twisted:
Nach would love you forever for that :D

... and by love, I mean stab you in the face.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

sweener2001 wrote:the fact that the team still supports the dos port astounds me.
We barely work on it. It's like one patch in 200 is for DOS. We don't actively add new features to it. It's not a big deal to make sure new work doesn't break it somehow.

It's even worse when people suggest stupid ideas like drop DOS it wastes time in pure portable apps.

Read http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... es-of.html
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by sweener2001 »

that had never occured to me.

interesting read.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The fact of the matter is, DOS is not holding development back. People who think that is the case should be shot. It still doesn't have the priority as Windows/SDL ports, but it doesn't get ignored. DOSBox is an ok platform to test against but remember that DOS itself has a lot of mismash of stds like Linux (but worse than Linux in many instances). The only thing that would probably not survive in the DOS port is the GUI (if a GUI update were to be done at some point, but that's not a given either). For those of you that are clueless, that doesn't mean the xbox port will implode or anything.

That is all.

byuu, the point of the silly comment was to have portablity across platforms.. using native Win32 GUI code is not the solution (if people didn't realize this was portable emu, not a "Windows only" emu or something like that).
byuu

Post by byuu »

byuu, the point of the silly comment was to have portablity across platforms.. using native Win32 GUI code is not the solution (if people didn't realize this was portable emu, not a "Windows only" emu or something like that).
A UI wrapper is far more portable than x86 assembly ... one could even implement the raster UI with it. But it's your guys' emulator, please continue doing what you prefer to work on. I'm quite happy with the UI either way, personally.
TheCloudOfSmoke
Rookie

I wanted to ask another question. Will there at least be a skinnable UI in the future? I think it's safe to assume that having the UI skinnable would still keep ZSNES portable across all of the current platforms that ZSNES currently runs on.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

It currently is skinable to some extent.

Post by Kajuru »

Accuracy/Speed > Fancy UIs

The team should(and is) spend time improving the core(s), not fixing crap like "OMG xxx Skin doesn't work in yyy WIP", "zpnglib.dll is broken" or "I can't find GDI+ lolololz".

The RGB editor looks better and gives no troubles AFAIK
CyberBotX
Lurker

Post by CyberBotX »

Besides, it'd be more work on the developers to have to keep track of a Windows GUI and a non-Windows GUI (for *nix and DOS). Plus, GUI programming is a nightmare from what I've experienced. If you think it's easy to make a Windows GUI, go try it. It's really not that easy.
[url=http://www.cyberbotx.com/]SNES Sprite Animations[/url], made by an Insane Killer Robot.
I'm a computer programmer (in C++) and a future game designer.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Way back when, I thought instead of using the standard windows gui when it was talked about, they were talking about GTK vs QT.
CyberBotX
Lurker

Post by CyberBotX »

That wouldn't be as bad only because both of them are cross-platform GUIs. Personally though, I like ZSNES's current GUI, it makes it unique among emulators. I've seen a lot of emulators that have a Windows GUI that need extra stuff added to their *nix counterparts just to have a GUI, like Visual Boy Advance for example.
[url=http://www.cyberbotx.com/]SNES Sprite Animations[/url], made by an Insane Killer Robot.
I'm a computer programmer (in C++) and a future game designer.