HP dishonors warranty if you load Linux

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

snkcube
Hero of Time

HP dishonors warranty if you load Linux

Post by snkcube »

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl? ... 4&from=rss

This is by far the dumbest reason why HP needs to void a warranty.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It is not surprising, but stupid as well.

There are lots of behind-the-scenes issues that factor into this.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

I agree. That screams of behind the curtain politics going on. Perhaps even a conspiracy with Microsoft, who knows.

I'd tell that company to stick and then parade it around the Internet until they get enough bad press to resolve the issue.

Running Linux will in no way damage your keyboard. That's absurd not to honor a warranty claim based on that.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Jikmo
Hazed

Post by Jikmo »

What doesn't make sense to me is that HP does this even though they have a fairly large Linux department.

This scares me though because I've installed Linux on my HP laptop and I need to send it in as soon as I get home for the summer because my hardware just seems to be failing in general.

Also, the bias in that article is laid on pretty damn thick.
[quote="The Sage Of Time"]You're a cruel and terrible person.
Don't ever change.[/quote]
I don't think I've ever felt so touched before in my life
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Jikmo wrote:This scares me though because I've installed Linux on my HP laptop and I need to send it in as soon as I get home for the summer because my hardware just seems to be failing in general.
Just backup and reload windows on it before sending it in.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

that's too much work for something that shouldn't need to be done.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

i don't think it would be (but then again i find linux too hard for me to master o_O) i think it would just take ages :)
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Firon wrote:that's too much work for something that shouldn't need to be done.
Agreed, but as it stands it could mean a free repair (well not technically free), and costing you hundreds of dollars.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

Well, yes, I'd do it if I had to, but you shouldn't have to. Maybe if enough people complain to HP they'll stop trying to do stupid things like this.

Doesn't the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act in the US essentially require them to prove that what you did screwed it up? HP seems to be treading dangerous ground here.
JFD62780
Rookie

Post by JFD62780 »

Me, I just use my BIOS's Boot Menu feature to load Linux if I should ever install it on my other drive, bootmenu and all. Yep, you read right, I especially install the bootmenu on the OTHER drive's MBR, I'm not stupid enough to taint the factory HD! :P

And ohh, look at that, my PC's an HP! OMG, the irony! {/sarcasm}

EDIT: One week later, quoth HP:
HP is committed to supporting its customers and backs its PCs with a solid hardware warranty regardless of the operating system.

If a customer alters a product and a problem develops as a result of that change, then the problem (which is not a result of a defect in workmanship) would not be covered under the warranty. In the case at hand, if the problem was the physical keys on the notebook beginning to stick, the operating system change would not have been the culprit and, therefore, would be covered under the customer’s warranty.

We are also taking steps to ensure support agents are clear on this policy so this issue does not recur.
Clears things up, don't it? ;)

EDIT DEUX: dang... Just read that the 'product' in question was a notebook, not all that much room for a second HDD... :oops:
Until next post...
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

nothing you said was actually relative.

linux won't break a keyboard. the factory HDD is loaded with crap anyway. if i ever bought a "name brand" pc, i'd format it right out of the box.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

JFD62780 wrote:Me, I just use my BIOS's Boot Menu feature to load Linux if I should ever install it on my other drive, bootmenu and all. Yep, you read right, I especially install the bootmenu on the OTHER drive's MBR, I'm not stupid enough to taint the factory HD! :P
That's exactly what I did with my PC, but its hand built. It just nice to know its a simple BIOS switch to remove Linux and grub from the boot setup.

I really should have wiped my laptop when I got it; it came formatted in 3 Fat32 partitions (Recovery and 2 for use). Now I think I'm just gonna wipe the recovery partition and make it a seperate drive to through movies and stuff.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
Jikmo
Hazed

Post by Jikmo »

thing is, because of some of the stuff i have on the laptop, i have to pretty much wipe the whole damn thing clean before i can send it in, which is why ive been putting it off for about 9 (waiting until the summer). i dont want to have to back up everything, reset the system to the way it was, then reinstall everything...
[quote="The Sage Of Time"]You're a cruel and terrible person.
Don't ever change.[/quote]
I don't think I've ever felt so touched before in my life
dissociative
Rookie

Post by dissociative »

Linux and GNU/Linux is Free Software and Free Software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Well, technically it could.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

JFD62780 wrote: I'm not stupid enough to taint the factory HD!
I'm not stupid enough to taint MY DATA in their crappy apps. No offense.
sweener2001 wrote:linux won't break a keyboard. the factory HDD is loaded with crap anyway. if i ever bought a "name brand" pc, i'd format it right out of the box.
True.