Computer slows down

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Cool_Hylian
Rookie

Computer slows down

Post by Cool_Hylian »

For some anonymous reason, sometimes, my computer slows down when playing ZSNES. I do not have a PC which you would call, old as your Grandpa, in fact, I have a PC which can play PS1 games at full speeds. So in conclusion, what is going on? :lol: :roll: :shock:
Hyrule is cool.
smkdan
Hazed

Post by smkdan »

What video settings do you have? A filter like a HQx can easily take more CPU power than a PS1 emulator. With normal settings there shouldn't be any slowdown on that PC.

Also, someone's going to say it so it may aswell be me. That avatar is far, far too big.
Cool_Hylian
Rookie

Post by Cool_Hylian »

Hmm I'll try changing the video settings. Ok avatar fixed now.
Hyrule is cool.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Make sure you aren't running anything in the background.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Inca_Killa

Post by Inca_Killa »

I have the same problem, and i'm not running anything in the background.
It isin't my computer, either, because it can run current games at HIGH on everything with no lag whatsoever.
(BF2142, Oblivion, ect)

I've changed my Pixels to 16bit, my resolution to my desktop size with no S setting (stretch) and I have all the defualt settings for everything else. . . So confused on what is wrong here.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

do you guys use windows vista? 64bit or 32bit? what version are your display drivers?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Make sure "Increase Emu Priority" is checked in Config->Options. If you are using dual core processors, make sure to install relevent CPU drivers (particularly AMD) and set the affinity (in task manager?) of ZSNES to 1 processor (or something along those lines)
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Pasky
Rookie

Post by Pasky »

I've had a similar issue with my pc at one point.

Anyways, i'll just repost what I said in a similar topic:

Are you running a dual core cpu?

If so, try setting the program to run only on one of the cores. You can do this buy CTRL + ALT + DELETE and going to the task manager, right click zsnes and select 'Set Affinity' in the 'Processes' tab. Select only one cpu core.

If that fixed it and you're running a AMD Dual core, get the dual core optimizer from Amd.com to fix these issues.

For intel, i'm unsure.

Hope this helps.
I think, therefore I am not Barry Burton