Question about game "flashes"(sensitivity to light

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Dr.Dark

Question about game "flashes"(sensitivity to light

Post by Dr.Dark »

Some SNES games(on ZSNES) have really bad flashes to me, like when there's lightning(like in the begining of Z:LTTP) or "hitting". It gives me a headache. I am wondering, is this because it's a rom and isn't at 100%? I haven't played some of these games on a TV before(and even if I did, I wouldn't remember), so I am not sure if it would be like this on a TV. I am playing on an LCD monitor so I am thinking it may be that?(cause these games where made way back then for CRTs).

What I am basically asking is, if I played these games on a TV, would the flashing not be so seizureific?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Some games don't quite behave as they should because of timing issues in ZSNES (there aren't many games that do flashing by design, at least that I can recall).

Zelda:LTTP is not one of those games.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Dr.Dark

Post by Dr.Dark »

ok, so you are saying that the flashing is basically caused by the timing issue in ZSNES?
Thanks for replying, btw.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

If flashyness gives you headaches, the current state of accurate emulation of the super nintendo console should be the least of your problems.

Go see a doctor.

And yes, I played Zelda: A link to the Past on the real console and those lighting effects are as "flashy" as in zsnes.

Edit.- No, what he is saying is, that even if there are games that suffer from timming issues, Zelda: A Link to the Past isn't one of them.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I thought we were talking about flickering.. but those sudden flashes of lightning from Ganon/Agaham (probably spelled wrong) are natural. I did play the original game on the console as well... (too bad I never got all the heart pieces.. always forgot the one on Turtle's Rock).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Dr.Dark

Post by Dr.Dark »

I was asking because I would of liked to play the game, but I stopped because of the flashing. Most games don't do that to me.
I was just wondering if the game was at fault or the emulation.
Dr.Dark

Post by Dr.Dark »

Yes, I know the flashes of lightning are supposed to be there, but I was wondering if they where supposed to be so intense instead of more softer like I've seen in other games.
Sorry if I didn't explain that well.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Best way of checking against it is trying Snes9x or BSNES (or a different emu perhaps). They are bright as I recall it (perhaps a little darker on TV, but that depends on your settings really).
Dr.Dark

Post by Dr.Dark »

kk, thanks for your help, and sorry for bothering you.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Maybe the LCD monitor takes up a larger portion of your field of vision than a TV would, so the flashes affect you more.

But that's not an issue of ZSNES.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

No kidding, if you feel that bad, go see a doctor. Better safe than sorry
smkdan
Hazed

Post by smkdan »

There's a good chance that the head ache is used in the context of irritating. You know that cave stage in DKC1 where you got that parrot (Squaks or something) holding the flash light and also that DKC2 stage where you have the angler fish illuminating your path? Everytime you switched direction a bright flash filled the screen and I always had to squint at that. Not enough to cause seizures but irritating indeed.
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

You would not definitely want to play dance dance revolution having headaches to flashing lights. Playing on that game would be like *seizure* *seizure*, next thing you know your in a hospital. Like everyone else says, my suggestion is to go see a doctor too.
byuu

Post by byuu »

When you start a new game, the lightning flashes are caused by the color halve setting in color add/sub being enabled and disabled. You actually see the background normally when lightning 'flashes', and it goes to half luminance while just simply raining.

So it isn't actually any brighter than when it's not raining. Perhaps setting an 8-bit color mode so you get no color add/sub effects will help you (though it would make a lot of games look absolutely terrible, too).
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

you could press 1-5 and disable a layer, might be the lighting flash layer. press 6 to set them back to normal.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]