Is it normal...

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Cubemario

Is it normal...

Post by Cubemario »

To be using zbattle, and getting a complete wealth of people who join your server and leave 1-10 seconds later without saying a word? Then have 10 people who do that?

Then have tons of people who join your server, who are the most complete morons you've ever seen in years that can't spell, talk in caps, and if you don't have the right version of a game, they get all confused saying LETS PLAY and then have a fit and leave. Then join your server later like nothing ever happened.

Is this a common? Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Also if anyone is interested in donkey kong country or mario games that isn't like those people, please let me know. I'd be happy to play with you on a regular basis instead.
Last edited by Cubemario on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Moved this thread because it is not a ZSNES issue... the netplay forum may be more appropriate.

Frankly, to maximize enjoyment of netplay, you are better of playing with people you know, than random people with different preferances.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Cubemario

Post by Cubemario »

Thanks for the very fast response, yeah, i'd play with people that I 'know' if I knew anyone who played. My family isn't interested at all, neither are my friends. I don't know anyone online who wants to play either :\
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I really don't know what the whole zbattle system looks like, but what I suggest doing is posting a message (if one is possible) into the room was created on what you plan to play. When someone comes into chat, you discuss with them what region/game revision you will play (it helps when one side has all the revisions available) and discuss the filename to be used (the GoodSNES filename format might actually make sense here :shock: ). NSRT would still be useful if the person on the other end had no clue what version of the game they have, or whether they have a bad dump..

Most of the issues here really stem from "rom/filename incompatibility" as it is hassle, but when dealt with properly, can speed up/improve your experience. It has to be some sane guidelines so that people can skip all the annoying parts like what I've mentioned to make this process easy and painless. Unfortunately this can't be enforced unless the zbattle system takes these details into account (in fact, it would have to be rewritten for this very purpose).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Cubemario

Post by Cubemario »

Thanks for all the help, and not to mention help making zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator) happen, it's a fantastic emulator, and i've never had a problem with it once, other than the latest version lacking netplay, the NTSC filter rocks :).

I think it's just a matter of finding the right people to play with you, hopefully someone on the forums here may be interested. There wouldn't even be a problem, if I could get the 'download' feature to work in zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator). For some reason nobody can ever download the rom from me. Not sure if anyone can shed some light on that.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

There hasn't been a "download" feature for ZSNES ever. You are thinking of zbattle.
Cubemario

Post by Cubemario »

whoops, your right, that was just a typo, I meant zbattle. Anyway yeah, nobody can ever download from me, strange thing. Ports for zbattle are forwarded too.
smkdan
Hazed

Post by smkdan »

Most of the issues here really stem from "rom/filename incompatibility" as it is hassle, but when dealt with properly, can speed up/improve your experience. It has to be some sane guidelines so that people can skip all the annoying parts like what I've mentioned to make this process easy and painless. Unfortunately this can't be enforced unless the zbattle system takes these details into account (in fact, it would have to be rewritten for this very purpose).
One of the nice features of ZB is that you can have different file names on each side and the program only checks the checksum / CRC for a match. ZSNES doesn't seem to allow different file names so it probably makes a temporary file on the client side which matches the name of the host's selected game. Either that or it's luck that the ROMs always had the same name.

The download system almost never works. In about the 5 or so years I've been on only a few special occasions did it work; it's a common problem. It may be overhauled in 2.0.

As for the spammers, the best you can do is report them on the zbattle forums. Until a personal ban list comes along there's not much more you can do.
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

The people @ GameFAQS are usualy willing to play a netgame.