VBA-M

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

The LCD colors option doesn't seem to work. Speaking of which, that option really should be merged with the Gameboy colors option, as both do the same thing, but for different systems; Gameboy colors for GBC, LCD colors for GBA.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

At least they said that their build is hacked from VBA. But because they didn't
used a source code in the first place they can't provide one thus violating the free license agreement. About NW I say that he was discouraged that someone leaked a beta patch so he associate that with the decrease in donations. Because he is on financial need it put a heavy pressure on him. He thought "I do this stuff for free and that's how they repay me?!" The attitude of teenagers who think that they deserve everything on the web also dived him mad. Not to mention when some of your work is sold on e-bay with a fake pre-patched game game. Because most of the people on he's website are importers, for him they are the only people that deserve he's translations. He expect everyone to buy the game directly from the Falcom store instead of downloading it for free. If he where to be rich, he would be in a true localization company like Xseed, Squareenix etc. instead of hacking games. he have no money do create such company however.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

kode54 wrote:The LCD colors option doesn't seem to work. Speaking of which, that option really should be merged with the Gameboy colors option, as both do the same thing, but for different systems; Gameboy colors for GBC, LCD colors for GBA.
That's been known for a while.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

That's been known for a while.
And thats something we should look into. I know Spacy wants to fix up everything in the MFC build before working intensely on the Qt one.
byuu

Post by byuu »

About NW I say that he was discouraged that someone leaked a beta patch so he associate that with the decrease in donations. Because he is on financial need it put a heavy pressure on him. He thought "I do this stuff for free and that's how they repay me?!"
I don't mean to derail the thread, and this is kind of on-topic in a way ... but we can continue this discussion elsewhere if needed.

But if he did it for free, he shouldn't have expected money. Further, given the nature of ROM hacking, he had no place to ask for money to begin with. Asking for donations to get something is a cop-out way of selling it. Offering it to the public at a later date for free just means you're selling limited quantities.

Lastly, given the nature of digital media, you have to be an absolute fool to not realize that there will always be people who will take full advantage of you, and go out of their way to avoid paying you.

Digital media has no value as it is freely reproducible by everyone. Nobody wants to accept that, as they value their own time and hard work put into it. But if it can be digitized, eg movies, music, books, fan translations, games and computer programs, it has no value. DRM as a whole is just people failing to accept the truth. The sad reality is that if you're involved in any of those fields, you have to expect this as an inevitability. If you can't, then you need to pick a new hobby that cannot be digitized: I suggest pottery.

I realize what I'm saying is unpopular, and will probably upset some. I'm not condoning such theft, but it's a reality that needs to be accepted. It'll save you a lot of heartache later on.
And thats something we should look into. I know Spacy wants to fix up everything in the MFC build before working intensely on the Qt one.
Neat, Qt. Were you planning to replace the MFC build when the Qt port is done, or stick with the MFC one for Windows?
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Neat, Qt. Were you planning to replace the MFC build when the Qt port is done, or stick with the MFC one for Windows?
Yes. It is planned to replace the MFC build when the Qt GUI is complete. In the meantime though, Spacy feels that theres still some life left in the GUI and we have even a GTK native GUI for Linux users to fill in the void until the Qt one is done.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Too bad that the shortcut Alt+Enter don't work...I have to set the full screen manually. Auto-frame skip is not there...
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

byuu wrote: Digital media has no value as it is freely reproducible by everyone. Nobody wants to accept that, as they value their own time and hard work put into it. But if it can be digitized, eg movies, music, books, fan translations, games and computer programs, it has no value. DRM as a whole is just people failing to accept the truth.
It's good to see such sanity in this day and age.
The sad reality is that if you're involved in any of those fields, you have to expect this as an inevitability.
Not necessarily, you can always put more and more time and effort into legal repression :D Let's be honest: by the time downloading a copyrighted song can cost you up to 25 year+ in prison like rape and murder,that should act as a good deterrent for most people . I live in Canada and with our good conservative friend Harper in place, this is the road we seems to be going to...
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Snark wrote:
byuu wrote: Digital media has no value as it is freely reproducible by everyone. Nobody wants to accept that, as they value their own time and hard work put into it. But if it can be digitized, eg movies, music, books, fan translations, games and computer programs, it has no value. DRM as a whole is just people failing to accept the truth.
That's not sanity, that's cynicism. It's entirely a matter of perception, since there's honestly no objective reality in that statement. The value of everything is subjective. The value of your very life is inherently subjective, regardless of how much philosophers would like to delude you into thinking otherwise. Besides, nothing is truly freely reproducible digitally, as it costs usable energy and electricity... which at the moment is slowly being lost to entropy if I recall.

He has the right to his OPINION, and that is all it is. Of course, the idea that he has a right to anything is also an opinion. How very meta.

I don't LIKE what I said above, but THAT is an uncomfortable reality that encroaches on my mind sometimes and that I'd rather deny.

To be perfectly fair, aren't software licenses the same thing as DRM then if they restrict how you can do... anything?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Metatron wrote:which at the moment is slowly being lost to entropy if I recall.
There is no "at the moment". It is permanently so and always will be so until 'always' loses all meaning.

Code: Select all

<Desty Nova> I spit upon the second law of thermodynamics !
Hear hear.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Metatron wrote:
Snark wrote:
That's not sanity, that's cynicism. It's entirely a matter of perception, since there's honestly no objective reality in that statement. The value of everything is subjective. The value of your very life is inherently subjective,
There's no objective value to your life frankly but you don't see me talking about it and bringing it in an off topic debate, Mr Nihilist. If you don't see it in yours, fine, but I don't share your view concerning mine and this is all frankly pretty out of topic.
He has the right to his OPINION, and that is all it is
.byuu was talking about DRM, digital media.. and the fact that it was his opinion (as was mine) goes without saying, (unless ones wants to end each phrase with "imo" )

So "imo" his was a much less cynical view than yours. I know of course there are plenty of people that disagree with byuu's view but there's no point in getting in an existentialist debate.
Besides, nothing is truly freely reproducible digitally, as it costs usable energy and electricity... which at the moment is slowly being lost to entropy if I recall.
Everything cost energy obviously. But I think there's a major difference in the quantity involved though...See what it would have cost to develop Debian had it been made with proprietary means. Around 10 billions U.S.
Last edited by Snark on Fri May 23, 2008 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

grinvader wrote:
Metatron wrote:which at the moment is slowly being lost to entropy if I recall.
There is no "at the moment". It is permanently so and always will be so until 'always' loses all meaning.
Needs more man in sky
byuu

Post by byuu »

The value of your very life is inherently subjective, regardless of how much philosophers would like to delude you into thinking otherwise. Besides, nothing is truly freely reproducible digitally, as it costs usable energy and electricity...
Obviously digital replication is not 100% free. You need to store it on media, transfer it using power, etc. But the cost is near zero, enough so that anyone with a PC and cable modem doesn't really care.

My point: if you sell something for $1,500 that costs $0.10 and requires virtually nothing to reproduce, don't be surprised when others begin producing it themselves instead of paying you. DRM creates artificial scarcity to inflate the cost. Both for profit and to cover R&D costs.

People always make odd comparisons to "would you steal a car, too?" and now this one about a human life ... these are physical objects. If you can clone a car or a human in two clicks and at a cost of 10 cents or less, then yes, that's valueless, too. But you can't, so the comparison is invalid.
Of course, the idea that he has a right to anything is also an opinion.
I never said I was entitled to any for-sale digital media without paying. In fact, I spend a lot of movies, music and games. I have about 30-40 games at the moment. I won't lie and say I pay for everything, but I don't find it a "right" to not do so. Hence I try and stick to as much free software as possible.
To be perfectly fair, aren't software licenses the same thing as DRM then if they restrict how you can do... anything?
Well, yes and no. DRM tries to force restrictions by technical means, licenses by legal means. But anyone can violate a license fully for personal use, and the author would be none the wiser. I find that DRM treats you as a criminal by default, licenses as innocent by default.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Neo Kaiser wrote:Too bad that the shortcut Alt+Enter don't work...I have to set the full screen manually. Auto-frame skip is not there...
Uh, you just press escape.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

byuu: I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to make a point that the value of anything is subjective. Really you are basically right that a lot of, well, nerds and unscrupulous people who pirate espouse a view like yours, it just bothers me when people seem to present that opinion as a fact to justify their activity. That's the only reason I responded as I did, I associate the view with some very bastard-ly people.

I'm not a moral paragon by any means, it just bothers me when people who would ignore the human factor if it benefits them would usually be perfectly happy to be hypocrites when it doesn't.

I wasn't saying that you claimed you had a right to all digital media (though some do, eesh), I was making a philosophical comment about opinions and rights in general. I do that sometimes. My apologies.

Noted on DRM. I mean, I don't like DRM, I just crack it and move on, it just bothers me how some people get about it.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Metatron wrote:byuu: I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to make a point that the value of anything is subjective. Really you are basically right that a lot of, well, nerds and unscrupulous people who pirate espouse a view like yours, it just bothers me when people seem to present that opinion as a fact to justify their activity. That's the only reason I responded as I did, I associate the view with some very bastard-ly people.
And it bothers me when a lot of, well, dorks and hypocritical people goes to great length to argue when they are themselves utmost hypocrites, who practice the very things they decry. I associate the view with some very douchebag-ly people.

Seriously, I think Metatron just had a grudge...
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

byuu wrote: I never said I was entitled to any for-sale digital media without paying. In fact, I spend a lot of movies, music and games. I have about 30-40 games at the moment. I won't lie and say I pay for everything, but I don't find it a "right" to not do so. Hence I try and stick to as much free software as possible.
I absolutely agree and applaud you for your honesty. And yes, I DO share, regardless of what some may think, a similar attitude. Do I buy EVERY software/games I used? No. Do I buy my fair share of them? Yes, absolutely. I have a good collection of DS games to prove it. It would be easy to never buy any of it, given how trivial it is to run unlicensed DS code.

Likewise with movies, music albums (even some shareware).
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Snark wrote:
Metatron wrote:byuu: I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to make a point that the value of anything is subjective. Really you are basically right that a lot of, well, nerds and unscrupulous people who pirate espouse a view like yours, it just bothers me when people seem to present that opinion as a fact to justify their activity. That's the only reason I responded as I did, I associate the view with some very bastard-ly people.
And it bothers me when a lot of, well, dorks and hypocritical people goes to great length to argue when they are themselves utmost hypocrites, who practice the very things they decry. I associate the view with some very douchebag-ly people.

Seriously, I think Metatron just had a grudge...
...What purpose did this post serve considering I just took pains to be nice and explain what was behind my responses?

...Care to explain to me why exactly I would hold some sort of grudge against byuu or a specific person in this thread? As far as I am consciously aware I have no beef wth the guy. I prefer bacon.

You will notice that I never actually said anywhere that I was decrying piracy in and of itself. I was instead decrying the ATTITUDES of some people who go about it. It is quite possible to not be particularly annoyed at the activity in and of itself, but to be annoyed at some of the practitioners. There is a subtle nuance; you would do well to pay more attention to what I actually said in the future, as I'm not the kind of guy that hides extra meaning in what he says. No reading between the lines is required.

So congratulations, your post was so off-course not even Lakitu could save it.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

For people that are interested, Spacy wrote a D3D based DDraw replacement for VBA-M:

http://vba-m.ngemu.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=113

Needs testing though.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

I.S.T. wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:Too bad that the shortcut Alt+Enter don't work...I have to set the full screen manually. Auto-frame skip is not there...
Uh, you just press escape.
They changed it from Alt+Enter to Esc and removed the bring/hide menu from Esc like SNES9x does... VBA had changed too much now.
nemuda

Post by nemuda »

I'm afraid they (laterza and others...) have really "cracked" it this time!

source: laterza site

i guess the VBA-M team will need to do something more about the protection thing...
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Sorry, I don't give a shit what they do. :?

I quit fighting them.

If they want to be arseholes, fine. >.>
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

nemuda wrote:I'm afraid they (laterza and others...) have really "cracked" it this time!

source: laterza site

i guess the VBA-M team will need to do something more about the protection thing...
Why try to advertise your attention getting hack of an old binary here of all places, Laterza?
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

VBA-Cloud would be more respected if they do their stuff using the source code. I guess that is beyond their skills.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

What are they actually, er, 'fixing' anyway?