Questions about running a couple games under ePSXe.

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Questions about running a couple games under ePSXe.

Post by Tallgeese »

All right, it absolutely must be ePSXe that plays these, for one reason and one reason only: netplay. For the most part, with my good friend netplay in ePSXe succeeds.

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment randomly locks up the whole emulator during a transition to and from battles, but mostly after a battle transition back to the map. The background music stutters and the thing just freezes after. This occurs with or without netplay. The following has been used... we are looking to kill dead those freezes, which I am guessing like in the sound:

Emu: ePSXe 1.5.2 and 1.6.0
Video: P.E.Ops Soft 1.17, no special game fixes enabled in 1.6.0, odd/even bit hack enabled in 1.5.2 as it instructs.
Sound: Eternal SPU 1.41. No special hacks enabled, SPU IRQ hack is also off. The voices are fine.
CDROM: Sapu 1.0. Loaded via CCD image. Prefetch is on at level 3 with async reads, cache size is 8. That Track ISO file system option is also there.

---

My other games... we're looking into playing ToD and ToD II cooperatively, I was wondering if anyone could recommend settings?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I never experienced the Persona 2 lockups you speak of, but then again, I use Pete's OGL2 graphics plugin, SPU Eternal 1.41 or 1.50 beta2 (shouldn't make much diference) and ePSXe's own CD-ROM plugin.

Perhaps (or most likely) the CD-ROM plugin has something to do with it. I mount CD images with DT and play.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

It's a bad idea to just run the ISO?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Metatron wrote:It's a bad idea to just run the ISO?
It shouldn't be and nine times out of ten it works like magic, but some people I've talked to have had similar issues with different games when they've used direct ISO loading.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Hmmm, all right.

Next quesytion... coulf you tell me what SPUasync does in Eternal SPU? Documentation seems lax.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Metatron wrote:Hmmm, all right.

Next quesytion... coulf you tell me what SPUasync does in Eternal SPU? Documentation seems lax.
It emulates the SPU in a cycle accurate fashion, instead of just generating samples on a timer or with a background thread. The name doesn't really make a lot of sense, since the SPUasync function is called synchronously to generate more samples prior to port or memory accesses, or at least it seems it should be used that way.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

I hate to kick up an old thread, but was a Lite version of Eternal SPU 1.5.0 ever made?

I know about 1.4.1 Lite, just curious if 1.5 did it too.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

The 'Lite' version is a CPU friendly version of the standard plugin.It uses much less CPU,while maintaining almost the same sound quality of the standard plugin.

Has anyone noticed any difference in sound quality between the 1.4 and 1.5b2 plugin?
From my experience,despite the PSX reverb 'improvements',the newer 1.5b2 is worse in every area (CPU usage,sound quality and audio latency).

After all these years,there's still no ePSXe plugin or emulator that can output acceptable sound in MTV Music Generator / Music 2000:
Eternal SPU sounds about 60% correct,while pSX sounds more like an Atari 2600 (read: terrible).If you don't believe me,just log and compare the output of both emulators .

If anyone can get this 'game' to sound correctly,this would set a new standard for the PSX SPU emulation accuracy.This 'game' pushes the SPU (almost) to its limits,including usage of fancy sound tricks.A good number of of other games will also benefit by emulating this one correctly.

Is there any other PSX emulator with accurate sound emulation that uses its own (not Eternal SPU or pSX) sound engine?
Last edited by kick on Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

kick wrote:... sounds like an Atari 2600 (read: terrible)...
BITCH!!!!! I'M GONNA KILL YOU UNTIL YOU'RE DEAD!!!!!!
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Funny that Kick said how "pSX sounds like an Atari 2600"...maybe he should listen to how horrible the sound in VGS was. No sound interpolation whatsoever. At least pSX runs games and has very good sound. Perhaps I can record a game (ie FFVII) in both ePSXe and pSX and post it to see which one is better..?

PS - whatever happened to the Eternal SPU plugin? Did it die off or what?

Edit 5:15PM - oh, and why is it that, even though P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9 has SPUAsync, it doesn't work? I enable in under ePSXe and doesn't work at all.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:Funny that Kick said how "pSX sounds like an Atari 2600"...maybe he should listen to how horrible the sound in VGS was. No sound interpolation whatsoever. At least pSX runs games and has very good sound. Perhaps I can record a game (ie FFVII) in both ePSXe and pSX and post it to see which one is better..?

PS - whatever happened to the Eternal SPU plugin? Did it die off or what?

Edit 5:15PM - oh, and why is it that, even though P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9 has SPUAsync, it doesn't work? I enable in under ePSXe and doesn't work at all.
He was referring to the sound output in that one game.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Looks like somebody got it wrong.

I didn't mean pSX sounds like $*&^ with all games,but only for the particular 'game' I mentioned.
(if you look carefully,you can see the ":" in that sentence)

With other games (especially the more popular ones) it's a totally different story - sound accuracy ranges from good to near-perfect.
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//