P2P Netplay Emulators

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Sferics
Regular

P2P Netplay Emulators

Post by Sferics »

I am curious to know, what other P2P netplay emulators are out there? Google-ing didn't turn up much, so I thought I'd turn to you guys :wink:. Thanks in advance.
David Dunham - "Efficiency is intelligent laziness"
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Netplay by definition is player to player for the most part... though the network model isn't guarenteed to be such.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Apparently the new version of PCSX2 has netplay, though I'm not sure if it works properly at all. Aside from that the emulator is far from complete and requires a Core 3 Octo @ 8.6GHz, 16GB DDR3, and 4 GeForce 10800 Ultras in quad SLI. It's a hell of a lot easier just to use a real PS2.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Cyrus wrote:Apparently the new version of PCSX2 has netplay, though I'm not sure if it works properly at all. Aside from that the emulator is far from complete and requires a Core 3 Octo @ 8.6GHz, 16GB DDR3, and 4 GeForce 10800 Ultras in quad SLI. It's a hell of a lot easier just to use a real PS2.
What terrifies me is that I'm not sure this is an exaggeration.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Cyrus must have misread. This thread is about P2P Netplay emulators, not PS2 Netplay Emulators.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Clements wrote:Cyrus must have misread. This thread is about P2P Netplay emulators, not PS2 Netplay Emulators.
Heh. The op wasn't exactly specific on what P2P is (it isn't a favorable Google search tearm).

I'm not sure if many netplay capable emus do Peer To Peer networking.. as that isn't the way to go if you are dealing with dialup. The Client-Server model should be most optimal IMO.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Metatron wrote:
Cyrus wrote:Apparently the new version of PCSX2 has netplay, though I'm not sure if it works properly at all. Aside from that the emulator is far from complete and requires a Core 3 Octo @ 8.6GHz, 16GB DDR3, and 4 GeForce 10800 Ultras in quad SLI. It's a hell of a lot easier just to use a real PS2.
What terrifies me is that I'm not sure this is an exaggeration.
Heh, it seems to depend on the game, I've seen some run at 40fps+ on weak setups and I've seen some run at 1-3fps on monster setups (I'd be specific about the specs but I really don't remember). Something tells me the the code is far from optimized. Well I haven't tried the latest version, hopefully it's improved and perhaps they can make use of newer instruction sets in future versions.
Clements wrote:Cyrus must have misread. This thread is about P2P Netplay emulators, not PS2 Netplay Emulators.
I didn't misread, it seemed he was generically asking about any emulator which has P2P and I figured I might as well say PCSX2 now has it.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

PCSX2 and it's plugins have advanced considerably in the past few months and takes advantage of dual-core CPUs, MMX/SSE/SSE2/SSE3/SSSE3 instruction sets and even DirectX 10. I would say the code is more optimised for speed than most emulators we normally use for other simpler systems, and that PS2 emulation is going to need a good system for a couple of years yet.
Last edited by Clements on Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Well, I do agree with the fact the PCSX2 can't run full speed even on the best PCs. Yeah, I know this was way off topic.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Clements wrote:PCSX2 and it's plugins have advanced considerably in the past few months and takes advantage of dual-core CPUs, MMX/SSE/SSE2/SSE3/SSSE3 instruction sets and even DirectX 10. I would say the code is more optimised for speed than most emulators we normally use for other simpler systems, and that PS2 emulation is going to need a good system for a couple of years yet.
That's quite an improvement over the last time I tried it, it only used up to SSE2. Though their compatibility list is still far from complete.
Sferics
Regular

Post by Sferics »

Perhaps I should have said Direct Connect netplay emulators. One's that don't need to connect to a server for netplay, that is.
David Dunham - "Efficiency is intelligent laziness"
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It is less optimal to do it with a Peer to Peer connection, mostly because of synchronization.

Desyncing is the most evil thing that can occur in a netplay game.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I think most emulators are directly peer to peer essentially for only 2 players. it's impossible to do this for more than 2 players since you need a server to distribute events to the other players and keep everyone on the same page.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

There's p2p Kaillera... Only 2 players, but it makes that 2 player experience 'way' smoother thanks to the joys of not needing any of the central servers.

You can pretty much drag and drop the p2p client onto the old and it'll work. Seems to do well over Kawaks. Dunno about ePSXe, but Supraclient has been offering me no issues on ePSXe while playing Gradius Gaiden. Yet.